All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2019 Edition]

Nearing 40, and shuddering while realizing it.
I have no time for many things. it's all work or preparation for work.
As a kid, I've had no money and a big desire to play sonic and mario and then metal gear and ut and a lot of other things.
Now I have the money, and an xbox one x, but no time or energy to spend standing still in front of the tv. I spend a lot of time in front of a monitor anyway.
I have so little time that I prefer to spend it leveling up myself in my job and in some sport that leveling up a virtual barbarian.
Plus anything tastes almost the same, a warmed up leftover from last year.
And knitting of course.
i'm in the same spot. Though writing 45 was a mistake! That was not the age group I was thinking of! lol
I was thinking of seeing seniors playing Wii in a retirement home.

I'm 46 & my game tastes have changed. I'm not buying a Wii & doing waggle though, but I'm not playing as much as I used to. I agree that gaming tastes do change as you get older. I have less time now that my interest has turned to my kids, but I'm a late bloomer. Helped raised 3 step-sons & got them into adulthood & out of the house. I then decided to adopt 2 more kids under 2. They are 6 & 4 now. I will be 62 will be youngest graduates high school.:runaway:

Tommy McClain

I'm 46 & my game tastes have changed. I'm not buying a Wii & doing waggle though, but I'm not playing as much as I used to. I agree that gaming tastes do change as you get older. I have less time now that my interest has turned to my kids, but I'm a late bloomer. Helped raised 3 step-sons & got them into adulthood & out of the house. I then decided to adopt 2 more kids under 2. They are 6 & 4 now. I will be 62 will be youngest graduates high school.:runaway:

Tommy McClain
When I was younger i liked watching horror movies. i just don't care for them anymore.

Tommy McClain

I have a son and less time for play and like many people in their 40's I don't play multiplayer games or games taking too much time like racing game or sometimes I don't finish long game like AC Origins. And I liked and finished the Witcher 3 but it took me half a year.

Last edited:
I have a son and less time for play and like many people in their 40's I don't play multiplayer games or games taking too much time like racing game or sometimes I don't finish long game like AC Origins. And I liked and finished the Witcher but it took me half a year.
lol easier to talk on the forums

I think that is a reasonable generalization; and I’m not against it. Without more information that is a reasonable stance to take. But specifically since we have some information; we want to take account for large factors. Mainly F2P titles like fortnite; etc. Which are the most played titles with massive following in the younger age groups.

mine craft which is still largely an insane phenomenon.
I think there are absolute limits in terms of numbers of what can be sold to the older markets.

whereas certain titles less bound; like games that specifically will include younger audiences.

it’s why Star Wars and the Marvel movies will sell insanely more than any PG 15 movie. Those ratings like R and M dramatically limit audience.

Frozen 2 going make bank.

I totally agree and I'm not disputing that, but I think many are overlooking a shift in the age of the average gamer as it's increased over the years and also that this is a sequel with much hype/anticipation.

I have a son and less time for play and like many people in their 40's I don't play multiplayer games or games taking too much time like racing game or sometimes I don't finish long game like AC Origins. And I liked and finished the Witcher but it took me half a year.

Same. I still haven't finished Red Dead Redemption 2 or Crackdown 3. I will eventually. Can't believe I started Rise of the Tomb Raider the other night before finishing the others, but with it on Game Pass I'm more likely to finish it before it gets removed. I bought RDR2 & Crackdown 3 will probably never get removed from Game Pass, so no hurrying to finish those.

Tommy McClain

I think that's so ridiculously ageist it deserves a punch in the face. ;)

Those >45 year old PS4 owners are likely long-term gamers. Are we to think that when someone hits 45, their taste in video-games changes completely to casual Wii-crap? Someone in their late 20s or 30s playing MGS, GTA, et al on PS2 is now all about waggle games and colourful platformers?

Why? That makes no sense and goes against the constant generational increase in console numbers. Every generation, console sales increase faster than population increase. That means more people coming into the market. If as many leave gaming as enter, the market size would have stabilised.

What is the reason for people to want to stop gaming? What do they do instead? When someone hits 45, does their interest in mind-engaging gameplay stop and they instead turn their attentions to knitting and woodworking? Go on long weekend walks? Or do they just slob in front of the TV nowadays instead of grabbing a controller? Are games 'too violent' these days 'not like this was all fields'?

Anecdotally, I don't know anyone who gave up gaming as they got older. Buying habits shift mostly due to different time constraints, and stats show interest in competitive play is lower in older gamers. But I don't know anyone who gave up console gaming in favour of casual gaming, and I certainly see no reason why older gamers would be more likely to move onto something else than younger gamers. I don't know if anyone has decent stats on console demographics though as mobile has completely changed video-game reporting.
Yeah, I hardly play these days due to time restraints but I still buy games and I will be playing LoU2 without a doubt (provided it doesn't shift in gameplay as RDR2 did :(

Is the PS5 going to be 599?
Is the PS4 going to be $300 when PS5 is released?

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a UK price of £200 vs £400 when PS5 launches.

Last edited:
I'm not predicting anything either way WRT to this because of the unique situation it will launch into.

Basically PS5 will be coming out around half a year after the game comes out.

EVERYONE knows it'll run on PS5 or have a special PS5 version (similar to the first game on PS4).

People with a PS4 that want to play it will get it regardless. But people that don't already have a PS4? That close to PS5 launch? Basically anyone that doesn't have a PS4 and is thinking about getting a PS5 is more likely to just wait for PS5. And for people that haven't gotten one yet due to the cost of the console..I doubt this one single title will convince them to get one after all the blockbuster titles that have come out on PS4 in the past few years.

I think there's a good chance it may not shift much additional hardware but the game will sell in very large numbers. Then again it is pushing the LGBT thing pretty heavily, so maybe that'll help change some people's minds that don't already have one? :)

Regards,
SB
Most people that just want to "play TLOU2" and don't have a Playstation won't buy a $499 console for that. They'll take the $150 or $200 box. Like PS4 (even worse), I don't expect PS5 price cuts before 2 years.

I think Sony would even prefer those people buying PS4 instead of PS5:

- They'll still make profits on each PS4 sold as they already hinted that PS4 will make them money during the PS5 transition phase.
- They'll lose money on each PS5 sold in the beginning.
- Then a few years later, those people will want to buy PS5 when those will be more affordable to play the new TLOU, Spider-man and God of war, then Sony will sell those and make a profit on each units sold.

In the beginning PS5 will be mainly bought by hardcore gamers, the one who usually buy plenty of services and games and not usually just for one game.

And you know plenty of people bought PS4s just for God of War or Spiderman as NPD sales proved (and that was in the same year). Some specific games still sell hardware. TLOU2 will make people buy PS4s. It's probably going to make a new NPD record when it releases next year. (if we are lucky, it can still be delayed. I said it before the last delay, turned out I was right, I can still be right again. :yep2:)

Is the PS4 going to be $300 when PS5 is released?

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a UK price of £200 vs £400 when PS5 launches.

Ah ok your expecting a price drop for the PS4 then. Then yes people that want to play last of us 2 and can't wait 6 months are probably going to buy a PS4.

Playstation won't buy a $499 console for that

Not many will i assume, if the new PS5 base is 499 we potentionally have another PS3, and the PS4 could match or exceed the PS2 in totalt units sold.

Ah ok your expecting a price drop for the PS4 then. Then yes people that want to play last of us 2 and can't wait 6 months are probably going to buy a PS4.
Of course, why wouldn't it drop? Sales are slowing and it's still £250 (with a game) here...£200 by PS5 launch seems a no-brainer.

Not many will i assume, if the new PS5 base is 499 we potentionally have another PS3, and the PS4 could match or exceed the PS2 in totalt units sold.
It's not a PS3, even at $500 it's $100 cheaper and (of course) inflation means it 'feels' less too.

Most people that just want to "play TLOU2" and don't have a Playstation won't buy a $499 console for that. They'll take the $150 or $200 box. Like PS4 (even worse), I don't expect PS5 price cuts before 2 years.

I think Sony would even prefer those people buying PS4 instead of PS5:

- They'll still make profits on each PS4 sold as they already hinted that PS4 will make them money during the PS5 transition phase.
- They'll lose money on each PS5 sold in the beginning.
- Then a few years later, those people will want to buy PS5 when those will be more affordable to play the new TLOU, Spider-man and God of war, then Sony will sell those and make a profit on each units sold.

In the beginning PS5 will be mainly bought by hardcore gamers, the one who usually buy plenty of services and games and not usually just for one game.

And you know plenty of people bought PS4s just for God of War or Spiderman as NPD sales proved (and that was in the same year). Some specific games still sell hardware. TLOU2 will make people buy PS4s. It's probably going to make a new NPD record when it releases next year. (if we are lucky, it can still be delayed. I said it before the last delay, turned out I was right, I can still be right again. :yep2:)

I don't think there's any scenario where Sony would prefer people buy a PS4 over a PS5. They are going to want to sell every PS5 they can make to anyone who will buy one. Now there is surely a limit on how aggressively they will price the console in order to achieve that, especially since they are likely to be supply limited in the beginning anyway, but getting market penetration for your new console is going to take precedent over almost everything else.

Thank you Nintendo for betraying Sony at 1991 CES! :LOL:That ruthless back-stab gave us two and a half decades of awesome home console gaming.

BTW, today is 25th anniversary of PS1 launch in Japan.

Last edited:
Back