W.T.F. Nvidia

Exactly.. that is going to happen whether you use Geforce Experience or not.
No, the spyware really only happens if you install GFE.

Which is why they should just put the entire control panel in there and at least make it cohesive and that way people who want to could do away with the legacy control panel for good.
nVidia probably can't do away with the control panel.
In fact, putting highly marketed features like game streaming and ansel behind spyware walls is probably already bordering on illegality, regardless of what the EULA makes you agree with.

No, the spyware really only happens if you install GFE.

Yea.. you go on thinking that. :D

nVidia probably can't do away with the control panel.
In fact, putting highly marketed features like game streaming and ansel behind spyware walls is probably already bordering on illegality, regardless of what the EULA makes you agree with.

No... you're being ridiculous. Look... I don't care... make it a part of GFE.. or don't. Just update and improve the damn thing so that it's at least more functional and presentable. If AMD can do it.. so can Nvidia. ;)

I'll trust what the telemetry reports have proven so far, not some generalized theory of everyone does it regardless so we should be okay with it.

That's both an extremely passive attitude and next-level tinfoil hattery at the same time. Bravo.

Exactly.. that is going to happen whether you use Geforce Experience or not. Which is why they should just put the entire control panel in there and at least make it cohesive and that way people who want to could do away with the legacy control panel for good.

The minute they require me to use GeForce Experience AND still require an E-mail address is the day I no longer buy any NVidia products period.

Hell, I wouldn't even use the shitty GeForce Experience even if they didn't require an E-mail address after it fried a friend's GTX 960 after it automatically applied too aggressive settings for his card. Card was running fine for half a year but he wanted to try to get it to perform better in a game he was playing. So he decided to use the auto-whatever thingy in there. Immediately he started to get twinkling pixels and then a day later he had a dead card. Luckily EVGA replaced it.

He hasn't touched GeForce Experience since.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I'll trust what the telemetry reports have proven so far, not some generalized theory of everyone does it regardless so we should be okay with it.

That's both an extremely passive attitude and next-level tinfoil hattery at the same time. Bravo.
You're welcome to do what you like. Regardless.. what I'm asking Nvidia for and what your concerns are aren't mutually exclusive. They can improve the control panel, and they can do it without needing emails or GFE. Presuming they would as an excuse to tell people why they shouldn't touch it isn't helpful at all.

Lol, downloaded the latest drivers with "General performance improvements" which apparently means still dogshit control panel performance, forced GFE install, and the aforementioned script no longer working. Yeah, fuck you Nvidia.

I wonder what they think they get out of this? Is this just a case of a bunch of managers demanding they can print out some kind of engagement spreadsheet each week to "prove" whatever bullshit directives they push out are working? Because I don't think they are measuring what they think they are measuring, a mandatory login for an automatic driver update disengages me in a way they can't measure with their fucking telemetry.

I can't see the tiny advantage from the telemetry outweighing the distaste it causes.

Last edited:
Latest WHQL:

A simple test.... open control panel and change a single setting, low latency, from off to on. Just clicking on the target field has significant lag. Select option change, more crazy lag before the "Apply" button appears. Press "Apply"..... 8-9 seconds (and an appearance by the hamster wheel of shame) later.... I have changed a single setting. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA. Goddamn you suck.

Last edited:
Just tried with the latest WHQL drivers and changing the control panel options under Windows 7 takes between 1-2 seconds after pressing "Apply". Maybe someone with Windows 10 can confirm your findings.

The sad part is I dual boot, and in Linux, if I want to change a setting, it just does it instantly (as it should). I know how pleasant the user experience can/should be.... but it isn't. Maybe it is a Window/MS UI issue, maybe they are shipping debug compiles of the control panel, whatever the problem is, it is obscene and inexcusable. Scrap it all and write it as a webpage and render it in chromium if nothing else because good fucking god it is terrible.

Chance NVidia stopped testing their drivers in-house on Maxwell hardware entirely?

CUDA is starting to fail left and right on Maxwell, both on Quadro and Geforce cards. "Fun" errors like "cudaGetLastError()" always returning "cudaErrorInvalidValue", right after initializing the context on certain models. Or specifically Quadro M2200 no longer being supported by Quadro driver (also that GPU missing in about half the documents listing Quadro GPUs supported by the corresponding driver). Or "cuMemHostUnregister()" suddenly stopping being thread safe.

This is rapidly approaching the point where updating the driver is getting straight out dangerous for older Maxwell based workstations. Too bad the next Windows 10 major update is going to roll out broken drivers regardless, then.

Or specifically Quadro M2200 no longer being supported by Quadro driver (also that GPU missing in about half the documents listing Quadro GPUs supported by the corresponding driver). Or "cuMemHostUnregister()" suddenly stopping being thread safe.
The Quadro M2200 is listed in driver 440.97 quadro-desktop-notebook inf file so assume it's still supported.

NVIDIA_DEV.1436 = "NVIDIA Quadro M2200"

If you haven't already done so, I'd try DDU uninstaller for a clean driver installation in case some prior cuda version leftovers are botching your new installations.

Last edited:
The Quadro M2200 is listed in driver 440.97 quadro-desktop-notebook inf file so assume it's still supported.

NVIDIA_DEV.1436 = "NVIDIA Quadro M2200"
Looks like the Quadro installer might be botched then. Apparently that one has a whitelist of hardware which needs to be present in order to install the necessary driver components for a given family. And M2200 ain't recognized as legit Maxwell Quadro it appears. (Btw.: That whitelist is also responsible for lots of fun behavior when mixing Quadro / Geforce cards against NVidias recommendation. If you mix e.g. a P2000 and a GTX1060 in the same system, the driver installed for the P2000 also works for the GTX1060 (even after unplugging the P2000). Try that e.g. for a M2000 and a GTX1060, and the installer will not provide the necessary drivers components for the Pascal GPU, and you end up with an incompatible driver version side loaded via Windows Update for the Pascal card - on boot now only either GPU will work.)

Unfortunately not just a "left over drivers" issue with the Cuda issues.

Last edited:
If you mix e.g. a P2000 and a GTX1060 in the same system, the driver installed for the P2000 also works for the GTX1060 (even after unplugging the P2000). Try that e.g. for a M2000 and a GTX1060, and the installer will not provide the necessary drivers components for the Pascal GPU, and you end up with an incompatible driver version side loaded via Windows Update for the Pascal card - on boot now only either GPU will work.)
I never use Windows Update to install my gpu drivers so can't guess what happening. As far as running Quadro drivers with a non-quadro card, I've never had card issues after modifying .inf files (adding driver strings) to recognize non-quadro cards. You might have to add the GTX1060 driver strings to the Quadro driver installation file if only using a Quadro driver.

Sonoooo I'm planning to use PSVR on PC (already bought ivry and vr game on steam, thanks halloween sale!), and due to my ancient CPU (Haswell i5)....

... I'm planning to get a used GTX 1070... to replace my Radeon HD 7770.

So generally I'll be welcomed by these?

* slow GPU control panel load
* registration required for GF xpeience

No other surprises? No weird conflicts with Intel IGP? No windows 10 forking with me? (only ever have issue with w10 keeps installing broken Realtek audio driver and Intel wifi driver, no issue with Radeon GPU)

/me hushing my cat away

While I can't speak from recent experience, my past usage of GFE (before sign-in requirement) was nice enough. If it was still possible to use without sign-in, I'd probably stay with NV. If you are planning to primarily use the control panel, I'd think twice though (it isn't just slow to load, but painfully slow to use). It is one of those things where you can tell the CEO of a company no longer uses its products because if he/she did it would never make it to public in the first place, and if it did make it public the people responsible would probably be fired quick, fast, and in a hurry. Both companies have issues with various games, so you may want to research the specific titles you are planning to play for any ongoing/long-term issues.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, I logged into GFE, and it doesn't even work properly. No global settings that I can find and all the per-game pages show "Unable to retrieve settings. Try again later." I'll tell you what I am going to "try again later", an AMD card.

EDIT2: Finally the settings for the few games it detected appeared. Of note, there are 2 copies of one game which display different settings, and you can't actually change the settings unless you let NV apply one of their cookie cutter "optimized" presets, so it is useless garbage. The only potential use for it that I can see is the recording/streaming functions, but I'd rather use OBS for that. So back to useless garbage which you have to sign in for. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Back