Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps future games will look like this but with dense worlds, as standard. The cutscenes look better then ingame though?

I expect next gen games to look better than this, even with much more complex worlds.

Otherwise, i would be disappointed...

I expect next gen games to look better than this, even with much more complex worlds.

Otherwise, i would be disappointed...

Be ready to be dissapointed then for the most in the beginning.. Usually at the end of a generation games tend to look close to next-gen games graphics, hence the comment 'sneak peak at next gen'. Black on PS2 wasn't that far off from early PS3 games, late PS3 games weren't that far off from PS4 early games etc. That and tech jumps aren't as big as they used to be. Not many devs lay as much time as guerilla/hideo does into art, detail and development either, or have the same amount of skills.
I for one think DS looks better then last of us 2, hzd spiderman rdr2 etc, as all those games look more current gen then DS does. Even the gameplay seems more next-gen in the way that a whole world can transform into another right before your eyes, and the idea that it is hybrid singpleplayer/multiplayer.
That's the 'disadvantage' of creations like this, they overlap the generation of consoles, the pc version might even look like many ps5/scarlett third party games if not better.

MGS2 btw wasn't the gens best looking game, not even close. It was the best for the time of release, but not for the whole 6th gen. DS does that though (not counting SC or UE tech demo's)

Stuff like this just stuns me to no end, the sheer amount of geometry on show here is the first I've ever seen in a game and the game doesn't sacrifice micro detail either.
Crappy compressed YT capture.
untitledqwkwz.jpg

Is that really a lot of geometric complexity compared to most other open world games which have a lot of trees or other foliage?

Edit: I would expect that a game that has little to no foliage to have more ground contour and detail, because ... there are no trees or foliage.

Stuff like this just stuns me to no end, the sheer amount of geometry on show here is the first I've ever seen in a game and the game doesn't sacrifice micro detail either.
Crappy compressed YT capture.
untitledqwkwz.jpg

The terrain really do looks better than Star Citizen.
I really don't understand how this game can look so good and solid, with practically no artifacts and pop-in visible, while maintaining a solid frame rate. And people say that it's like this even on Vanilla PS4.

Also, the character model "from Konami" are the best in this industry.

Is that really a lot of geometric complexity compared to most other open world games which have a lot of trees or other foliage?

Edit: I would expect that a game that has little to no foliage to have more ground contour and detail, because ... there are no trees or foliage.
The game has many levels that have dense foliage on offer if you watch more videos, especially the one from Gamersyde for that pristine 4k quality. The foliage density is also Decima's strong suit, we've already seen HZD done it before, DS takes it to a new level by even populating moss and willows on rock surfaces for extra density. The game is truly a polygon pusher.
rz1hnf52ebz01.jpg

image_death_stranding-38538-3637_0019.jpg

image_death_stranding-40356-3637_0007.jpg

I watched some more videos and the game has one noticeable issue : you can spot some low resolution textures too easily...

What about the base units, they are being left out these days, but if the premium version already run like this then one wonders about the base ones.

Oh and great work Alex, very high quality tech analysis, keep them coming :)

Last edited:

What about the base units, they are being left out these days, but if the premium version already run like this then one wonders about the base ones.

Oh and great work Alex, very high quality tech analysis, keep them coming :)

Don't forget that while Obsidian was recently acquired by MS, they didn't have those resources during development.

Basically Outer Worlds was developed by a relatively small indie (AA) team when compared to the teams and budgets that are associated with AAA development.

Regards,
SB

The terrain really do looks better than Star Citizen.
I really don't understand how this game can look so good and solid, with practically no artifacts and pop-in visible, while maintaining a solid frame rate. And people say that it's like this even on Vanilla PS4.

Also, the character model "from Konami" are the best in this industry.

If you don't have much on screen, you can spend all of your rendering budget on the few things that are actually on screen. Looking at what's been shown it looks good but when looking at it in context, it's not particularly impressive compared to something like RDR2 which has so much more in each scene.

Individual components may be less detailed in RDR2 but there's so much more that there is actually more overall detail in RDR2 than Death Stranding in any given scene.

Hell, if someone wanted to only render a desk. They can make it a pretty damn impressive looking desk compared to a desk in a room in a world.

That's not to take anything away from DS. It does look good...for what it does. But it doesn't attempt to do all that much in any given scene, at least from what I've seen so far. I find HZD more impressive, personally.

Regards,
SB

Hell, if someone wanted to only render a desk. They can make it a pretty damn impressive looking desk compared to a desk in a room in a world.

We'll have to wait for kojimas next game to put that theory to test. Desk Stranding. Where you play as a bureocrat issuing delivery requests to the characters of this game, shedding a new light into othes parts of this beautiful story.
Starring Jarred Harris, the game will revolutionize gaming, where you take full control of the desk items, with carefull management of the protagonist's grip of the pen (sholder buttons) to not let him drop it, nor break it.
I'm excited already.

Nice video. :)

This reminded me, has there been information about how the GI tech has evolved from the 6 time of day bakes in Horizon?
Also at least for me the image looks to be sharper than in Horizon, did they change the checkerboard method?

I cannot wait to find out more about the changes they have done and properly see the game myself. :)

Nice video. :)

This reminded me, has there been information about how the GI tech has evolved from the 6 time of day bakes in Horizon?
Also at least for me the image looks to be sharper than in Horizon, did they change the checkerboard method?

I cannot wait to find out more about the changes they have done and properly see the game myself. :)
Highly recommend you to check out Gamersyde's DS review, that high quality 4k video really makes a stark difference to the YT feeds. It's like going from PS3-PS4 in texture res jump :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back