Diablo 4 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Looks amazing to me. One of the view games that gets me excited these days...let’s hope that the devs don’t screw it up with bugs/mtx/no content/politics etc as all AAA devs seem to do these days.

And hopefully the console versions release at the same day as the PC version!

Too bad no developer seems to find trimetric projection good enough to go all the way with temporal reconstruction methods over 8-16 frames for AA , shade particles FX , and what not ( impostors for really high unit count if they can't get enemies behave...) , far view with with fair bit of lag on camera movement would work well IMO.

Blizzard has basically been a near dead studio for ages now. They launched WoW in 2004, and then it wasn't until 2010 that they released a new game, Starcraft 2. Then Diablo 3 in 2012. Hearthstone and Hots were 2014 and 2015, but small games based on microtransactions. Overwatch came in 2016 and it was their first new non-sequel game in 12 years. Fittingly their new games are Diablo 4, which is basically an incredibly low-risk sequel driven almost entirely by community feedback. Overwatch 2 may as well be an expansion and not a sequel. Blizzard has a huge reputation for a studio that has produced very little for 15 years and makes the safest products you can imagine. They're one step above activisions guitar hero and call of duty franchises at this point.

Edit: The Diablo 4 reveal was basically to make up goodwill with their die-hard community, even though it won't come out for years. That in itself seems somewhat cynical to me. I hate these multi-year hype events.

"Near dead" doesn't seem at all accurate after you listed their games. They're all huge, and very long lived. Blizzard have managed to create a business not on fast iterations of new games, but creating behemoths that keep on going, keep being played, and keep on earning.

Trailer: By three they come.
Hehe. My friend was at blizzcon for this. He said at the point he figures out that there is the key for blood the video glitches entirely and didn’t return until after the door was sealed behind them.

Love how they went back to the roots with a dark, gritty and gory look, the monster designs and environment are so much better now which oozes out that demonic atmosphere.
I guess I'll be getting it on PS5 then for that maximum settings at 4k.
Judging by the graphics; willing to bet the mid-gen refreshes are already enough to do that.

"Near dead" doesn't seem at all accurate after you listed their games. They're all huge, and very long lived. Blizzard have managed to create a business not on fast iterations of new games, but creating behemoths that keep on going, keep being played, and keep on earning.

Not near dead in terms of finances, but near dead in terms of output.

Ya. I don't think they should be vilified for not producing yearly releases of the same product.
Yeah, they should be praised. The last thing we want is more publishers releasing annual garbage.

Judging by the graphics; willing to bet the mid-gen refreshes are already enough to do that.
It looked like a pretty decent upgrade from D3 graphics wise so maybe checkerboarding 4k on Xbox 1 X and 1800p CBR on the Pro? Either way I'm playing it on next gen console since I would have traded in all my midgen consoles by the time it releases :).

Too bad no developer seems to find trimetric projection good enough to go all the way with temporal reconstruction methods over 8-16 frames for AA , shade particles FX , and what not ( impostors for really high unit count if they can't get enemies behave...) , far view with with fair bit of lag on camera movement would work well IMO.

Temporal reconstruction of 8-16 frames would break down pretty hard if there is any significant movement of either objects or even worse, the camera.
  • At 60 FPS that means some artifacts will persist for up to a quarter of a second. This would look horrible without a ton of motion blur to cover it up.
  • At 120 FPS they could persist up to 1/8th of a second. Still would need significant amounts of motion blur to avoid it looking really bad in motion.
  • At 240 FPS they'd persist up to 1/16th of a second. OK, now it likely wouldn't look to bad in motion.
Methods using 4 frames of information already look like ass to me in motion at 60 FPS unfortunately.

Considering that with the next generation of consoles coming up, temporal reconstruction is likely to feature more heavily, I'm finally at the point where 60 FPS won't be good enough anymore and I'll be moving to 120 FPS as a minimum frame rate for any game that uses temporal reconstruction.

Already games like Control make me regret having to play at 60 FPS due to how the visuals break down unless there is heavy motion blur applied. And motion blur gives me eye strain and light headaches, so that's a no go for me.

Regards,
SB

Considering diablo3 is always online that's hardly a shocking revelation.

I expect they'll give you a private mode just like d3.

Back