PC Game Stores, Why everyone has their own and why it won't return to just 1.

Yep you can play it for a month for $5 and it's released tomorrow.

I just found out The Outer Worlds is only on the EGS. Oh well I think it will release on Steam at some point and will probably be cheaper then.

Yeah, the deal was made prior to MS acquiring Obsidian, otherwise it would have been on Steam and the MS Store rather than EGS. Ah well, no biggies for me since I'll be playing it through Game Pass for PC.

Regards,
SB

My understanding is that Steam doesn't take any cut for keys that are generated and sold directly by the publishers. Is that correct?

Anyway having to purchase every game from a different store and launcher is ass because a lot of these stores aren't going to make it and there is little incentive for a dead store to provide access to games that were purchased on it.

Looks like EA will be offering their subscription services through Steam and offering new games through that storefront again.

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valve-partnership

Electronic Arts and Valve have partnered to put EA games into the hands of the players on Steam. Starting next spring, EA Access—our ever-growing subscription service powered by great games and member benefits—will be making its way to Steam. EA Access is the first and only gaming subscription service available on Steam, and the fourth platform featuring an EA subscription.

The partnership kicks off with Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order launching on November 15—and available for pre-order today. In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

Looks like EA will be offering their subscription services through Steam and offering new games through that storefront again.

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valve-partnership

Electronic Arts and Valve have partnered to put EA games into the hands of the players on Steam. Starting next spring, EA Access—our ever-growing subscription service powered by great games and member benefits—will be making its way to Steam. EA Access is the first and only gaming subscription service available on Steam, and the fourth platform featuring an EA subscription.

The partnership kicks off with Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order launching on November 15—and available for pre-order today. In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

This should help their bottom line tremendously as Steam should help them sell a lot more games on PC than just Origin alone. I'd like to see Crysis 3 come to steam as I still haven't played it. Regardless, it's a good move for consumers.

Would also like to see their games appear on GoG, but I doubt EA would want to release their games DRM free. Having them on the MS Store would also be good. Too much to hope that any of their titles would appear in Game Pass for PC, however, as that would compete against their own subscription service.

Regards,
SB

Thanks, but if I was interested in having a different launcher on my system, I would have gotten it already. :) Hell, I got Assassins Creed: Origin through Humble Bundle for a low cost, and I still haven't run it because you have to launch it through the UBIsoft launcher. I honestly couldn't be bothered.

I know when UBIsoft games are launched through Steam, it launches it through the UBIsoft launcher (ugh) but at least then I don't have worry about losing access to a game I own. I still can't access Far Cry 3 because UBIsoft won't recover my account. I didn't get it through Steam. Last time I ever buy a game through their launcher.

Regards,
SB

Ugh, so Steam updated their library to look more like other stores. And I absolutely hate it. Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to revert it back to how it used to be?

I hate this trend to make things look more busy because some people have short attention spans. Busy =\= good and usable. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Ugh, so Steam updated their library to look more like other stores. And I absolutely hate it. Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to revert it back to how it used to be?

Overall, I prefer it. The Library UI works better for me and my hundreds of games so the customisable Shelves and Collections are very welcome! Having "What's new' show every new thing in relation to your games on one shelf and not have to click every damn game is great!

The Store UI looks a mess but I rarely use it; the games I'm interested are generally on my radar and therefore my Wishlist. Occasionally I'll use the store search which looks exactly the same.

The new library is slower though? Hadn’t used steam in a while but after the update it’s slow to operate the library/steam.

Back