The Outer Worlds (Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division) [XO, PS4]

If you like the Borderlands series will you like this? Is there any online co-op?

Tommy McClain
It's more like Fallout than something like Borderlands. Outer Worlds is a single player storyline RPG.

ok, it's more like Fallout: New Vegas :) Which was made by Obsidian as well, as opposed to Bethesda attempts at Fallout.

ok, it's more like Fallout: New Vegas :) Which was made by Obsidian as well, as opposed to Bethesda attempts at Fallout.

Thematically it feels like more Fallout 3 and 4 compared to New Vegas, which really had very little on corporate overreach but which were very strong concepts in Bethesda's games, e.g. Vault-Tec, General Atomics, RobCo, Nuka-Cola etc. The difference is, Fallout looked back at this period it was over, The Outer Worlds is you living through it.

Chomatic Aberration should have a toggle.
Yea it's affecting me heavily.
I coudn't put my finger on it, but realized afterwards it was my brain fighting CA that made me exhausted playing TOW.

But I totally love this game. I'll definitely see this one through to the end.

Yea it's affecting me heavily.
I coudn't put my finger on it, but realized afterwards it was my brain fighting CA that made me exhausted playing TOW.
I didn't do an extensive comparison, but nudging that screen effects setting from Ultra to Very High (PC) seems to disable CA (or at least imperceptible to my eyes).

But I totally love this game. I'll definitely see this one through to the end.

Yeah, the quests seem fairly tight. Parvati's side quests are cute. Ellie's is neat depending on your dialogue choices when you visit folks. Max was... a trip and then some.

I'm not particularly fond of the inventory management where I'd prefer to just see name, item level, dmg type, weapon type, etc. The health screen is also a bit annoying in that multiple different food items can have the same effect - I hadn't checked if you could sort the list by that because things just seem to have the same bonuses.

The squad management also feels very tacked on in the UI. :p

----

I'm not sure what I want in a sequel yet. Maybe they could break the mold of 1-off companion quests and have connected stories (even between squad members), but I know that's probably a large headache in permutations.

----

The 4 weapons switching is.... non-ideal. On story-mode the squad commands aren't particularly needed either. :p

---

Will probably have to continue on the weekend.

OK, so I downloaded this last night & will try to check it out tonight. That's one cool thing about Game Pass & Microsoft Rewards: it gets me to check out games that I think might be cool but not enough to risk spending full price on a game that could be terrible. 200 Microsoft Rewards Points here I come. LOL

Tommy McClain

So quick question...

If I am wearing Armor from Marauders will I be greeted with hostility from Spacers Choice people? Or is that just cosmetic and they dont care what your outfit looks like?

So quick question...

If I am wearing Armor from Marauders will I be greeted with hostility from Spacers Choice people? Or is that just cosmetic and they dont care what your outfit looks like?
I don't think they give a shit what you wear, I've been using Fling's trainer for it so I've been running around in my underwear. :)

So quick question...

You'll get some flavor text about it in conversations. I think some people might react negatively to it as well, but overall it won't prevent you from doing things.

I found it amusing the first time I entered the first settlement while wearing armor that I looted off the marauders that I killed. :)

I finished the first world, but haven't had the time to progress more. Sigh.

Regards,
SB

Tried it out last night & determined it's not my cup of tea. Oh well. Got my 200 Microsoft Rewards points though. Time to try something else. :)

Tommy McClain

Tried it out last night & determined it's not my cup of tea. Oh well. Got my 200 Microsoft Rewards points though. Time to try something else. :)

Tommy McClain

300 points if you didn't have the Try a New Game quest before hand.

I haz question :
I approach a door, I get :
press F to pick alternative use keycard
how do i use the keycard ?

How do I get better weapons? I'm having to goto Monarch but the creatures mess me up big time.
you can tinker them. Or mod them.
Otherwise you'll have to just go to the tougher areas, and level up with the gear (which drops at your level).

Complete more side quests, get more drops.

This game isn't really grabbing me. I thought I was going to love this because Obsidian and New Vags, but after I got to the Groundbreaker I just stopped playing.

Back