Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but like myself, i won't be buying a Pro as i'm having the base ps4 now. It's too close to next gen for me, il shell out for a PS5 by then.
Maybe I misunderstood your initial comment.
Thought you meant the game was a good demonstration of why we need a next gen as this gen not able to play it well. Even PS4 doesn't seem too bad, 1080p60 (not locked but not bad either) with those graphics...

Maybe I misunderstood your initial comment.
Thought you meant the game was a good demonstration of why we need a next gen as this gen not able to play it well. Even PS4 doesn't seem too bad, 1080p60 (not locked but not bad either) with those graphics...

Yeah, i only ment that what DF also said, that some games seem more optimized for the Pro then the base now later in the gen. Cross platform titles anyway.
And no the PS4 doesn't do bad for being what it is, most won't be having any problems with it. For MP we need more stable performance though, but that is untested so far.

dude, X1X crashing is brutal. It's bricking people's system on reddit. I've had quite a few friends have hard reboots. That game needs a serious patch.

Questions I had after watching.

Xbox one X is referred to as 4k output mode, are there others? Was this in-game or just at a system level, system level is invisible to the game so unsure if this leads anywhere.

120hz mode irons out the stutters, I understood this but not why it causes a hit to resolution as it seems the target frame rate is unaffected. Resolutionh looks to be held by the dynamic resolution system controlling things.

Freesync, how does this title work with this? I feel it does not get enough coverage and DF are probably the only ones who can or should cover this given its niche nature and thier technical focus.

Variable rate shading was said to be on console via some clever tricks, it's a shame the Devs did not share any debug information, that would have been very interesting, perhaps we will need to wait for a proper paper to be released.

The resolution hit from moving to 120hz is a limitation of the HDMI 2.0 standard. There's only enough bandwidth to provide 120hz at 1440p or less. On Xbox One systems, the games render to whatever resolution the developers choose, and are scaled to output on the system level. So if you are playing on a 1080p monitor at 120hz on One X, the game is rendered at that dynamic 4k resolution and then scaled to 1080p before output, so it's much like the super sampling options on PC (DSR or VSR depending on the graphics card vendor).

We see where next-gen is heading, games are going to be more cross-gen and it shows. Could be a version for ps5/xbox with RT later on.

i'm not sure i'll really like the gameplay, but i'll end up buying it for the gorgeous take only !
what an end of gen with all those amazing games.

The improved Decima is really pushing out the boat isn't it! I used to think some of the trailers they showed earlier in the years were pre rendered like the Crater scene and Mads rising out of the water but according to DF they're all real time:love:. This is probably one of the rare occasions where the combination of AAA budget, dev talents, super competent engine, unique art direction and photorealism direction delivers a title so impressive to look at it you simply get mesmerized by the visuals and never want to put it down.
I do wonder how much Fox Engine's DNA is mixed in with this.
prof-hulk-1556555568-1556555569.gif

In my opinion the game looks better than RDR2. On the other hand, the game is rather empty, that's why the graphics look more detailed than in other open world games.

Also, i'm impressed by the productivity of the Kojima team : small studio + really fast development time.

It’s a step up from HZD, best looking exclusive this gen alongside rdr2, DS has a more next gen feel to it but more barren. Probably won’t like the game but just for the graphics /exploration.

It’s a step up from HZD, best looking exclusive this gen alongside rdr2, DS has a more next gen feel to it but more barren. Probably won’t like the game but just for the graphics /exploration.

On some parts, it is far superior to RDR2 : geometry, character rendering.

I would say RDR2 is far superior in terms of complexity : the world is far more alive + day/night cycle.

But from a pure visual perspective, i don't find any area where RDR2 really competes with DS, except the lighting.

Last edited:
Stuff like this just stuns me to no end, the sheer amount of geometry on show here is the first I've ever seen in a game and the game doesn't sacrifice micro detail either.
Crappy compressed YT capture.
untitledqwkwz.jpg

On some parts, it is far superior to RDR2 : geometry, character rendering.

I would say RDR2 is far superior in terms of complexity : the world is far more alive + day/night cycle.

Bu from a pure visual perspective, i don't find any area where RDR2 really competes with DS, except the lighting.

Have to agree, watching that DF video it’s hard to grasp how it looks at times, the change of landscape os very different to other games. The combination of Decima and kojima creates this, now i wonder two things, how it will be on a base ps4 and the pc version. Will it just be resolution that differs from Pro to base?

Kojima should do something for 2020 hardware and we get close to ue tech demos and the like.

The combination of Decima and kojima creates this, now i wonder two things, how it will be on a base ps4 and the pc version. Will it just be resolution that differs from Pro to base?

Usually the Pro mainly upgrades the resolution, so i guess the PS4 version only runs at a lower resolution. For the PC version, if we take MG5 as example, pc gamers might get a decent upgrade.

In my opinion the game looks better than RDR2. On the other hand, the game is rather empty, that's why the graphics look more detailed than in other open world games.

Also, i'm impressed by the productivity of the Kojima team : small studio + really fast development time.
Yeah the game's general lack of large flora or moving characters at times in the world gives it that GPU room to really concentrate and the rocks and such - super nice looking crags in this game.

Perhaps future games will look like this but with dense worlds, as standard. The cutscenes look better then ingame though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back