All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2019 Edition]

I believe if ps5 is 499$ and later on 399$ that leaves room for 199$ ps4 to live for many years to come and beat ps2 record. Not everyone wants to buy the expensive console and prices don't come down anymore like they used to. There being BC between ps4 and ps5 should make people willing to invest to entry level console knowing that their investment will carry over if/when they decide to upgrade.
Well, PS5 will have a price cut. Eventually. For reference PS4 price was reduced to $349 almost 2 years after its release and down to $299 almost 3 years after its release.

I agree with the rest of your post btw.

Minimal reporting from MS. I wonder will they change their reporting when scarlet comes.
If it outsells PS5, yes. Reporting numbers, or how you report success, is dependant on where you sit. As long as you comply with stock reporting rules, the rest falls within the realms of PR.

Sure it helped. But the cheap DVD Player was what boosted the sales up to 155m. I was there, I remember it vividly. :yep2:

Anecdotal, but yeah. I doubt many people around at the time didn't know at least one person who didn't buy a PS2 as a DVD player. I never owned a DVD player other than PS2 and leapt straight into PS3 which was my only Blu-ray player until PS4 + streaming.

When people look at PS2/PS3 sales they need to bear this in mind. Not everybody bought a PlayStation 2 or 3 to play games and when PlayStations were sold at a loss, predicated on loss-leading economics of making up the loss in game/accessory sales, this was not good for Sony.

They also bought it thanks to brand, xbox was a better dvd player but it didnt sell more then 24m.
There were always better, more expensive DVD players players than PS2. The price was what helped PS2 become a popular device for just playing DVDs - even adding the IR/remote adaptor.

2,8 millions PS4 shipped last quarter, PS4 is now the 2nd most shipped console beging PS2.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...best-selling-home-console-of-all-time.150101/

More details here

1572416122-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-07-14-44.png

In FYQ2 last year they had Spider-Man, and now they also had to revise yearly sales down because of TLOU2 delay. PSNow has hit 1M users.

They are still chugging along really great.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...7xzagtVHmVkPgsI0SYlSSCowOA0kK3cMKOgX_F_UpzXWE

They think the PS4 won't overtake the PS2 though. The PS2 is going to remain the best selling console for many years to come i think.

Whilst I don’t disagree, I love the reason why ‘because people will be buying the new console’ - I’m sorry but that’s some lazy argument there.

1) PS4 has sold quicker than PS2 whilst having to compete with bigger sellout rivals
2) PS4 will have a whole extra year of market before PS5 comes out compared to PS2
3) PS4 has more room for price drops than PS2 did at this time in its life

There’s every chance PS4 might topple PS2 based on the above IMO.

PS5 will be BC with PS4 and it launches in a year, hard to see why PS4 would have much of a tale post PS5 unless there is a huge price difference and PS4 is able to stream PS5 titles thru psnow and even then it's not likely to result in tens of millions in additional sales of PS4 hardware.

Back