Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Can controller be connected via cable.
Bluetooth will add latency on top of the streaming.
Do we know how much latency phones add in general, compared to tv's?

Can controller be connected via cable.
Bluetooth will add latency on top of the streaming.
Do we know how much latency phones add in general, compared to tv's?

In this beta test a Bluetooth controller is required. Not sure about future updates, but I've read of prior previews where Microsoft used a wired USB connection. Should be supported on launch is my guess.

Tommy McClain

With gears 5 & SoT still in active development I'm surprised that they didn't implement the xcloud api's for things like font scaling.

Maybe development overhead for already built games is too much.
Considering how long xcloud has been in development, the api was shown in this years build I believe it was, but internally must've been around for a while.
1P games should've been coding towards it that are releasing this year and next.

Is it likely that those sorts of things take much effort though? If it's easy to patch in scaling font sizes and XCloud hasn't been fully released yet, I'd guess they'd just focus on getting the game out on the consoles that are out.

Expanding the Designed for Xbox Ecosystem to Mobile Gaming

...we will be expanding the Designed for Xbox ecosystem to include mobile gaming. Our Designed for Xbox program enables collaborations with top-tier hardware partners to deliver not only choice but also the best possible Xbox gaming experiences across console, PC, and now, mobile.

1510707-01_XB1_MOGA-Clip_Hero-set_940x528.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/24/expanding-designed-for-xbox-ecosystem/

You can pre-order the PowerA MOGA Mobile Gaming Clip here for $14.99...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Power-A-MOGA-Mobile-Gaming-Clip-for-Xbox/8RTF503L2PL9

Ships November 14, 2019.

Can't wait. Looks like a much better clip as you can get it closer to your face.

Tommy McClain

Reactions: Jay
Can't wait. Looks like a much better clip as you can get it closer to your face.
Is it really any closer to your face.
Not sure how that litlle bit could make a difference

Does look like you'll be able to get the balance/weight distribution more to your tastes though.

Is it really any closer to your face.
Not sure how that litlle bit could make a difference

Does look like you'll be able to get the balance/weight distribution more to your tastes though.

It is when the difference looks like this....

1510707-01_XB1_MOGA_Gaming_Clip_3_Pivot_R.jpg

vs this...

s-l500.jpg

The extra articulation point helps tremendously.

Tommy McClain

The extra articulation point helps tremendously.

Tommy McClain

Looks good, is that a gimbal or stabiliser in there for when I lean the whole pad on its side driving round a corner. Otherwise I may get might sea sick in any racing game.

At $15? No. But you can rotate your head for free. ;)

Tommy McClain
o_O

Definitely looks good, for a good price (as long as build quality isn't bad).

I like the way you can move the screen so it's not hanging of the edge, because I could see that getting pretty tiring even after a small amount of gaming with the weight stuck out there.

Hopefully there will be a couple more types soon.

Mixer just acquired Shroud. likely I expect more big names to move over to mixer.

I suspect this largely means They want Xcloud to be a portal similar to how stadia and YouTube will work together. Be able to watch or play with their streamers just by clicking the play now link. So the focus will be to grow mixer until this feature is ready.

Mixer just acquired Shroud. likely I expect more big names to move over to mixer.

I suspect this largely means They want Xcloud to be a portal similar to how stadia and YouTube will work together. Be able to watch or play with their streamers just by clicking the play now link. So the focus will be to grow mixer until this feature is ready.

They acquired Ninja a while back (was bigger than Shroud at the time), but the didn't move the needle much. Then again, Ninja doesn't stream nearly as much as he used to.

It'll be interesting to see if Shroud continues to stream as much as he did on Twitch and whether he can maintain his viewership.

Microsoft are definitely spending big to try to make Mixer relevant compared to Twitch though. Shroud got paid 8 figures to move to Mixer from Twitch.

There's reports that other large streamers on Twitch may have accepted an offer from Microsoft but they have to wait for their contract with Twitch to expire. But reports also have most streamers declining Microsoft's offers to move.

Regards,
SB

It’s all in preparation for 2020. Building the base takes time. A couple more moves combined with some large Titles releasing that streamers like to watch and people will move over to watch them.
If MS succeeds in making mixer a direct portal to streaming the game or queuing to play with your streamer or choice;yea these pay offs will work.
you also need to account that it’s not always raw viewer count that they want. MS is looking specifically to buy their audience. Ninja caters to a younger crowd; that’s where he is well known. Shroud to a slightly older crowd.

both of them will be necessary for when halo launches next year.

It’s all in preparation for 2020. Building the base takes time. A couple more moves combined with some large Titles releasing that streamers like to watch and people will move over to watch them.
If MS succeeds in making mixer a direct portal to streaming the game or queuing to play with your streamer or choice;yea these pay offs will work.
you also need to account that it’s not always raw viewer count that they want. MS is looking specifically to buy their audience. Ninja caters to a younger crowd; that’s where he is well known. Shroud to a slightly older crowd.

both of them will be necessary for when halo launches next year.

The problem is that so far, nothing has changed. There's even a joke going around on Twitch that MS buying streamers means that Mixer acquiring streamers is the Twitch retirement fund.

Like I mentioned we'll have to see if Shroud will have any more impact than Ninja did. People that were watching viewership numbers noticed that viewership on Mixer actually dropped slightly after Ninja's acquisition, so I'm interested to see if Shroud's acquisition has different results. People are wondering if Shroud will continue to stream as much as he did on Twitch or whether he'll stream less now that he's on Mixer like Ninja did.

Also, King GoThalion just announced he was acquired by Mixer. But again, speculation is that it might just be a retirement move by him as he's an older streamer with 3 children. So, again will have to see if he still streams with the same frequency as he did on Twitch and whether he can maintain viewership.

King GoThanlion has the potential to be the more influential acquisition since he's also a co-Founder of GuardianCon (originally just a Destiny fan convention, but is growing to be more than that).

People are rightly skeptical about the 2 moves considering how the Ninja acquisition worked out.

That said, many Twitch streamers actually hope that this makes Mixer more competitive with Twitch. Competition would lead to the Twitch platform becoming better and perhaps to better compensation for streamers on Twitch.

Regards,
SB

Like I mentioned we'll have to see if Shroud will have any more impact than Ninja did. People that were watching viewership numbers noticed that viewership on Mixer actually dropped slightly after Ninja's acquisition, so I'm interested to see if Shroud's acquisition has different results. People are wondering if Shroud will continue to stream as much as he did on Twitch or whether he'll stream less now that he's on Mixer like Ninja did.
This is like a store that was in a popular mall that moved to a less popular mall. You will get more walk-ins in a popular mall. That's just how it works.
Twitch does a good job at diverting foot traffic. But Ninja's and Shroud's followers and subscribers will follow them anywhere.

Twitch knows this, which is why they continue to diversify their content and allow a lot of 'questionable' streamers be untouched from their rules.
Mainly because they want more foot traffic to divert their viewers to streamers they would be willing to subscribe to.

I don't necessarily see this as a loss for Ninja or Shroud, but an understanding that at the beginning they will be losing people just because they've lost a metric ton of foot traffic. They will have to do more to gain more viewers, as will MS.

This is like a store that was in a popular mall that moved to a less popular mall. You will get more walk-ins in a popular mall. That's just how it works.
Twitch does a good job at diverting foot traffic. But Ninja's and Shroud's followers and subscribers will follow them anywhere.

That's the problem though. With Ninja a lot of his followers and subscribers didn't follow him, they just started to follow a different Twitch streamer. There's debate on whether Ninja is streaming less because he has less of an audience now or whether his audience is lower because he isn't streaming as much. Of course, the one feeds into the other so regardless of the cause, it's a vicious cycle.

It remains to be seen if Shroud will have better luck retaining his viewership. The same goes for King GoThanlion.

Regards,
SB

Is that true? Numerically it's not true for Ninja so I'm told. I don't think people are that interested in changing platform, and I think they'd more readily find someone else to view. Like a cable channel buying a popular TV series - what proportion of users will give up on the channel they used to be on (with other stuff they like watching) to subscribe to the new channel?

I don't think allegiance like this can be bought. Consumers seem to be too fickle.

Back