Ultra Wide Picture By Picture

sir doris

Regular
Anyone with an ultra wide with PBP and actually used it?

I need a new work monitor, can't upgrade the PC which has a Gen2 Intel iGPU, so doesn't support the 1440p ultra wide resolution. Performance however isn't an issue as we use VM's.

The question is related to the Samsung LS34J550 I'm looking at. The manual states PBP mode can accept native 1720x1440 signals. Could I use 2 outputs from my PC (intel Gen2 iGPU), plugged into the ultra wide monitor, each configured to 1720x1440, extend my desktop over both "screens" and utilise the whole monitor?

Or am I crazy :runaway:

Can you throw in a cheap PCIe GPU to drive the new monitor?

What's the limitation on the iGPU for the Ultrawide 1440p? The amount of pixels?

According to Intel specs and reading the web, the max res is 2560x1600. Support up to 4K came with the following gen (Ivy Bridge I think).

I'm using a 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide which is great for productivity using the built-in windows snapping for side-by-side, exactly what you want to achieve. So unless you're obsessed with the higher dpi, I guess you could go with the lower version?

Thanks, I was really hoping to take advantage of the increase in vertical resolution, in replacing the existing 2 x 1080p setup. I've got a 16:9 1440p monitor at home and really appreciate the extra desktop height. But I hadn't considered the ultra wide 1080p's, and didn't realise they came in 34".

Anyone with an ultra wide with PBP and actually used it?

I need a new work monitor, can't upgrade the PC which has a Gen2 Intel iGPU, so doesn't support the 1440p ultra wide resolution. Performance however isn't an issue as we use VM's.

The question is related to the Samsung LS34J550 I'm looking at. The manual states PBP mode can accept native 1720x1440 signals. Could I use 2 outputs from my PC (intel Gen2 iGPU), plugged into the ultra wide monitor, each configured to 1720x1440, extend my desktop over both "screens" and utilise the whole monitor?

Or am I crazy :runaway:

As long as the iGPU can handle dual outputs of the resolution you are looking for, then it shouldn't be a problem. As far the iGPU would know, it's connected to 2 different displays.

However, 1720x1440 isn't a standard resolution. Does Intel allow configuring custom resolutions for their iGPUs?

Regards,
SB

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the manual and it mentions the PBP mode can accept 2 X 1720 X 1440 inputs or 2 X 1280 X 1024 (with scalling I assume).

The Intel desktop software allows the creation of custom resolution, I assume it works.

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the manual and it mentions the PBP mode can accept 2 X 1720 X 1440 inputs or 2 X 1280 X 1024 (with scalling I assume).

The Intel desktop software allows the creation of custom resolution, I assume it works.

In that case, I'd also assume it should work just fine. Would be nice if you could test it ahead of time, however.

Regards,
SB

Just thought I would update this thread. Monitor turned up, connected via a DVI to HDMI and DisplayPort cables it's working flawlessly.

2 x 1720 x 1440 @60Hz.

Back