Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why that may be a reasonable educated guess.
Even if it was done like that, was there customizations made, what is the performance like, etc.

Even then it's just an educated guess, I will stick with the view that we don't know. I'm more than prepared to be called stubborn until we get actual details about it.
I'm more than happy to see the discussions around different implementations, implications and patents though.
You stated we have no idea how it is implemented. The patent covers in great algorithmic detail exactly how AMD will likely implement, and by extension, the next generation consoles. Not sure what other clarity can be offered.

I'm personally on the "Ray Intersection Engine = Hardware Ray Tracing" bandwagon.

"Ray Intersection Engine" would be contrary to what Microsoft sees as the future trend of general hardware with fixed functions replaced by HLSL code.

Last edited:
You stated we have no idea how it is implemented. The patent covers in great algorithmic detail exactly how AMD will likely implement, and by extension, the next generation consoles. Not sure what other clarity can be offered.
Your going to have to point me to some receipts that says that the patent is how its implemented.
Until then it's just an educated guess (and as I said a reasonable one), which given the fact you said likely I doubt you have.
And even if you had such receipts that I'd be eager to see, I'll also like to see how it performs which is also what I pointed out is the the most important thing.

People think if it's missing the word core then it's a sub par implementation.
Can already see that creeping back into the conversation in the last few posts.

Your going to have to point me to some receipts that says that the patent is how its implemented.
Until then it's just an educated guess (and as I said a reasonable one), which given the fact you said likely I doubt you have.
And even if you had such receipts that I'd be eager to see, I'll also like to see how it performs which is also what I pointed out is the the most important thing.

People think if it's missing the word core then it's a sub par implementation.
Can already see that creeping back into the conversation in the last few posts.
Consider how much detail we have about a released product in Turing. Also a high level overview. You’re asking for something you’ll never get.

Consider how much detail we have about a released product in Turing. Also a high level overview. You’re asking for something you’ll never get.
If your talking about how it's implemented in console I reckon we will find out, even if it's after release. I'm unsure how much detail you think I'm expecting though?
AMD gpu's minimum same as Nvidia, consoles enough to have a decent discussion about the difference in implementation compared to Nvidias route.

If your talking about performance, well I reckon we'll have a reasonable idea, may have to wait for some RT games on them though.

I just think it's crazy for people to get worried when they hear it's not RT core (which people relate to Nvidias approach), when we have no idea of performance profiles, etc.

It's always hardware if it is done on the GPU? That way anyone can call it 'hardware raytracing' ,)
If there is fixedfunction units dedicated for it, then I would call it hardware. (Ie. Hardware for BVH traversal.

I doubt no-one would call fully compute based rasterizer a hardware accelerated.

Last edited:
Mark Cerny, from Wired interview:

“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware"
What if the RT acceleration hardware is inside the shaders? if the CUs have been modified to accelerate raytracing beyond what a normal CU can do? Then it's acceleration hardware in the GPU, and RT on shaders, and acceleration by shaders.

What we know art this point is it isn't just compute based raytracing, but raytracing with hardware design choices designed to improve RT performance over and above what compute-based RT can achieve.

If there is fixedf units dedicated for it, then I would call it hardware. (Ie. Hardware for BVH traversal.

I doubt no-one would call fully compute based rasterizer a hardware accelerated.

But it's always done in some hardware so Cerny can still be deceiving us by considering the regular compute hardware as the accelerated hardware.
/s

"Ray Intersection Engine" would be contrary to what Microsoft sees as the future trend of general hardware with fixed functions replaced by HLSL code.
I believe this is a misinterpretation. The API is designed to support flexible rays. How the acceleration is implemented is up to the vendor.

To me it makes no sense to design a custom devkit case like this one if that's not an intended form factor for the finished product. And yes it looks ugly as sin which should make people really nervous:)

Haha, I don't expect it to look like that, but with the devkit taking on some very distinct features, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some slight design cues taken from it.

I find Sony can make really ugly hardware that is at the same time very iconic; and so I subsequently find it very appealing.

PS2 was just an absolute atrocity if you really step back and think about it: those hard lines and slotted edges, but, it was utilitarian and incredibly iconic!

PS3 was over-designed, bulky and had that Spider-Man font; and yet it kinda worked, it was imposing, polarising, luxurious and for me, took pride of place on my entertainment unit.

PS4 was dull but elegant, simple and economic, kinda fitting for our times.. though a little bit of me missed the exotic and extravagant PS3 "Phat".

As for PS1? Well it's a square, unassuming box, its diminutiveness made up for it's ugliness and yet its few distinct design cues, that simple grey and that multicoloured logo along with a bucket-load of nostalgia just make it timeless.

I struggle to think of any other hardware or hardware lineages that have such a distinct and iconic look (despite being so different). Your MacBooks or iPhones might be your average supermodel equivalent, but while the PS hardware has its share of unibrows, crooked teeth and cellulite; they've all got personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back