Red Dead Redemption 2 [PC]

I think you've had very little experience with these games. That's not comparable at all.

GTA V takes a lot of time to earn money. Most activities wont reward you enough while in Breakpoint you get better gear and more money with every activity. GTA V Online is mostly PvP (car races, fights, missions, events) and it makes a huge difference what kind of equipment you have. For example with a $7 million military jet you can do a lot with ease.

Explosives, rocket launcher ammunition, air defence missiles all cost a lot of money. The usage of this explosive stuff would cost so much money to use I would hardly be able to keep up with the money I earned. Protection like armor, special wheels, protective vests. Everything costs money.

In addition there are many events where it depends on speed and armouring. What is the fastest and safest way to get ahead? With cars, helicopters or jets for multiple million $ each. For cars you pay another $3 million into the revaluation in the garage. In comparison to normal vehicles they have no disadvantages. Then always a new and better vehicle comes out what you have to have in order to keep up with it.

Then you could buy expensive companies that would earn you even more money. The rich get even richer. You probably have to invest over thousand hours to keep up.

Why seriously compare this to Breakpoint where the values of the equipment are normalized? Breakpoint, Battlefront 2 etc. are a joke against GTA V Online.

GTA V Online was generally very cheater-infested. Invincible or immortal players that could kill anyone at the push of a key button, hundreds of cops are suddenly spawning next to you etc. The cheaters could even crash your game if they wanted. If RockStar wants to earn money on the PC in GTA V Online they have to try harder. For me it was almost impossible not to find any cheaters.

There's Pay to Win in some games. Just because it looks like it on paper it doesn't have to be in reality. It depends on the effects for the specific game.

Last edited:
That's a lot of self-justification for a lot of game-specific particulars where your argument for MTX in Breakpoint is that it's needed to fund additional content for years after the game is released. GTV V has continually released content for GTA Online on a very frequent basis, I know this as I get their emails everytime there is an update. But Rockstar don't deserve this for .... reasons? Because there's some PvP aspects? Somehow your argument is that since it's very difficult to get ahead normally in GTA and actually grind, that it's ok to cheat. And since lots of other folks were cheating, it was ok for you to cheat Rockstar out of apparently hundreds of dollars. Of course Ubisoft don't change how their progression works to make MTX highly desirable.... lol

Also I thought you said that Breakpoint equipment is normalized in PvP? Isn't most of the game co-op where they are their actual values? Where all those skill packs, weapons, vehicles, upgrades etc from the store actually do something? Yes, that's not as "pay-to-win" as a PvP focused-game might be considered, but it still doesn't make your justifications for Ubisoft's excessive monetizations rightful when somehow it doesn't apply to any other game just because there's cheaters.

What did Ubisoft do when their quest-maker for Assassin's Creed Origins was released and people were making quests to farm xp? They shut them down. So that it didn't "ruin the experience" right? Yeah... of course that's the reason, was nothing to do with their XP time-savers they had in the store. Does your self-justification apply to Ubisoft because of that? Or only if there's PvP?

The sad truth is these companies make hordes of money from these games, with the lion's share going to executives and investors and some going back into maintenance and development of additional content to keep the game alive enough for continual engagement (and thus investment) by players.

Today I played a lot of co-op and although the other player was 30 levels below me in the equipment I didn't notice any difference. Every opponent was eliminated in a very short time. The microtransactions affect the game towards zero. I have absolutely no need to buy anything. And if anyone in Japan or or wherever buys stuff it has zero influence on me. In GTA V the impact was enormous. Breakpoint is also mostly coop and here I don't see any problems. Even if the equipment would cause big differences in coop I would not see buyable equipment as a problem. If you could buy the stuff it It would have even advantages since you can join in right away then. Obviously the question arises why they need to make equipment levels at all for such a game but I can see a few reasons for that. Which, of course, doesn't mean I like it. In PvP the best equipment doesn't help.

I didn't cheat on RockStar. I never cheated at all. The cheaters just distributed the money to everyone.

I don't know what happened with Assassin's Creed Origins and I never said anything about that either. I don't think of it as a company but on a case-by-case basis. For Breakpoint many people just jump on the anti-microtransactions bandwagon because it seems cool and brings clicks. Yes, for GTA V they made a lot of additional free content but to me it was too cheaters-infested. They just killed you or defeated you in events, missions etc. with cheats. Now I want to know what RockStar is doing to prevent all of this. On consoles I did not enjoy GTA V Online due the strong auto aim.

Last edited:
It's not far away anymore but I won't buy it right away (I still have some stuff to do in other games). I am curious to see how well it can be played. With GTA V I had to do something so that the input-lag wouldn't bother me so much.

It's not far away anymore but I won't buy it right away (I still have some stuff to do in other games). I am curious to see how well it can be played. With GTA V I had to do something so that the input-lag wouldn't bother me so much.

The change from 30fps to 60fps or greater should be a nice benefit, but I'm very curious to see how much of a difference it makes.

I had expected to get a new graphics cards eventually, but looks like it would have to be a new SSD instead...

This reminds me of the old days when I did partial installs and ran from the CD because my HDD was too small

I had expected to get a new graphics cards eventually, but looks like it would have to be a new SSD instead...

This reminds me of the old days when I did partial installs and ran from the CD because my HDD was too small
Dunno what kind of GPU you were looking at but even 1TB SSDs are cheap as hell these days. A 500GB you can get for a little over $50.

The speed of downloading NVIDIA's driver my from place is very slow both yesterday and now (less than 100KB/s). RDR2 preload speed is ~10MB/s (which is as expected).
I'll go Guru3D and see if it's still hosting drivers.

[EDIT] The link on Guru3D points to NVIDIA, so it doesn't help :(

I know several gamers who got this

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC players are encountering a crash error preventing them from starting the game: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-crash-errors/

It's a rather bad port regarding performance i heard?

There seem to be some performance problems. Since I've not tested this game by myself I can't really tell for sure. In other games this is also claimed again and again but that's simply because the graphics settings are too far-reaching. On maxed out settings someone from PCGH got 30fps in UHD (without MSAA) on a RTX 2080 Ti at the beginning.
49018401683_dd9dc60215_k_d.jpg

There are apparently some settings which require a lot of performance.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide if there's any reason to play the PC version if you finished the console version.
I thought it was a very good game, BTW. First one I've played all the way through since my injury - my time is very limited for gaming as I work full time and have zero energy left by the time I get home. Weekends I tend to favor playing with my wife.

Back