Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame that they didn't add pc save imports tho. Maybe via a web service or something

According to the hacking scene, pc save is 100% compatible with switch version. You just simply import it to switch

Intels 10nm gaming GPU's next year by summer, most likely with Ray Tracing. They mention world of tanks RT.

Only found this one in swedish

https://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/2...qtHjZU3NR-jRLUd-aSUzsoxD2XqZ4yBRO6oKbyjFEeeQY

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/embree-photo-realistic-ray-tracing-kernels

Edit: DF got some testing to do reviewing, analysing and comparing the new gpu's from nv, amd and intel next year, with their RT implementations :)
Isn't it confirmed that RT on Intel Xe is only coming in 2021 when they adopt 7nm+foveros?

The Intel RT article you linked to refers to an offline software implementation using Intel CPUs, more specifically making use of SSE4.

A look to general tech in Star Citizen.

The fact that the game is in huge world space and ships can actually move things which players interact, does allow some very interesting possibilities in terms of game loop.

Always pleasure to see a good video on the game and thoughts of others.

Last edited:
Didn't Intel say they were skipping 10nm CPUs cause of issues? If so, I doubt they will be able to use 10nm for GPUs.

Oh, they're denying that rumor, yet they still haven't released 10nm products.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-may-skip-10nm-desktop-processors/

That i linked to was about GPU's not CPU :p

That i heard about CPU's was that 7nm was going to come to desktop at a later stage. They probably don't have to rush things as their current cpu's compete and even outperform AMD's offerings, so far. Zen 3 mighht change that though?

Witcher 3 Switch-version. I do think they have done a great job there, even though the differences are easy to spot.
Not DF but this video is interesting.
The developer made a superb job porting the game and making sure it ran well, however they still could have chosen other post-processing options that would make the game look better. And they didn't used the overclock options.

Speaking of shadows current generation games and Star Citizen share the same plague, horrible shadow maps like in the mocap face. They will need again to do some change to the rendering engine to integrate some RT.

I really REALLY missed the days when it was possible for a developer to push the envelope at the highest end of their graphical settings while still providing playable graphical settings for an incredibly large range of hardware.
Exactly, that's why I and many other PC enthusiasts are excited for the advent of RT in the PC space, it's a breath of fresh air to the current tiresome trend of console like PC ports.

I really REALLY missed the days when it was possible for a developer to push the envelope at the highest end of their graphical settings while still providing playable graphical settings for an incredibly large range of hardware.

Eh... budgets.

A nice looking game gets posted, PS exclusives somehow get involved and we have a lengthy discussion. Maybe better to just discuss DF's video on how they accomplished things rather then the politics and how it compares to PS games.

But you must admit your negative attitude towards almost every PS exclusives in their proper topics is also part of the problem :p

But you must admit your negative attitude towards almost every PS exclusives in their proper topics is also part of the problem :p

If one feels that way your wrong. I even comment quite often how great some PS exclusives look, but i can't say sc looks worse, or rdr2. I'm also not saying a DF video is bad when it's about a ps game, or things like it runs crap etc. On the other hand ive not seen ps people praising anything else then what suits them. Im both ways, just look up my posts.
Saying my posts are part of the problem seems odd. And even if they were, is this the way to react? Poor DF lol.

At the same time it was praised by people with that had a brain that actually knew you could configure the graphics settings to have it playable even on a relative toaster of the time.

Crysis 1 allowed itself to took quite horrible at tge lower sertings, so those don't count. Medium to tigh was a minimun for it to look comparable to contemporary games. So that's where a lot of the criticism came from. From when its graphics at then unplayable ultra settings were compared to other games that actually strove to be efficient. It just wasn't a fair comparison then.

Crysis 1 allowed itself to took quite horrible at tge lower sertings, so those don't count. Medium to tigh was a minimun for it to look comparable to contemporary games. So that's where a lot of the criticism came from. From when its graphics at then unplayable ultra settings were compared to other games that actually strove to be efficient. It just wasn't a fair comparison then.

I played Crysis at the lower settings (equivalent of roughly medium or medium-low, IIRC) and I still thought it looked better than the majority of games that were out at the time it released (2007). /shrug.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay. I liked Farcry by Crytek better, but the graphics for Crysis was gorgeous.

Regards,
SB

I played Crysis at the lower settings (equivalent of roughly medium or medium-low, IIRC) and I still thought it looked better than the majority of games that were out at the time it released (2007). /shrug.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay. I liked Farcry by Crytek better, but the graphics for Crysis was gorgeous.

Regards,
SB

I remember the thing would outright disable shadowmaps for the damn sun altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back