Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Brad Sams has some more info on Project Xcloud...

It’s no secret that Microsoft is working on a new cloud streaming service called xCloud. The platform will be released into public beta later this year and for those willing to dig around in the weeds, you can find evidence of their progress.

In December of 2018, I mentioned that Anthem was the code name of the first generation of xCloud and today, we are starting to see evidence of that information. And by today, I mean actually back in June. A user on Twitter posted a couple of code names related to xCloud and here is what I know about the differences between the offerings; nothing too crazy but a minor revision is the only difference.

Anthem is what Microsoft calls the Cloud SKU 1 and Yarnell is Cloud SKU 2. Yarnell is an upgrade over Anthem but I don’t think it’s the Scarlett upgrade as many were speculating. I believe it’s much smaller and is a modest upgrade of the storage of the boards from EMMC to M.2. The other update may be improved networking performance with the addition of 10 GBe NIC support as well which is often required in server-level infrastructure.

This is a minor bit of information but for those who are often curious about the differences in Microsoft’s internal projects, this should help shed a bit of light about what the company is doing with its xCloud platform.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/209742/xcloud-yarnell-and-anthem#

Sounds like newer revision of the XB1S blades. Guess we're getting closer to the public beta.

Tommy McClain

News on possible 1st party xCloud controllers. Microsoft had a new patent granted for a Nintendo Switch-type controller. The design isn't entirely new since we got wind of it from Microsoft Research back in October 2018...

mobile-gaming-device-patent.jpg

xbox-mobile-joysticks.jpg

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-research-prototyping-xbox-controllers-phones-and-tablets

Phil has already talked there will be more movement in the accessories once xCloud ships. Maybe this design is what he's talking about.

Tommy McClain

No streaming only device planned...

Physical devices are still very much part of the equation when it comes to cloud gaming, but Xbox itself isn't making a new device specifically for it. "Last year we talked about xCloud and then we said we were working on new game consoles, but that's all I said." Spencer clarified, "We didn't say that [a streaming console was in the works]. I think maybe some people thought that that was the disc-less one that we just shipped. We are not working on a streaming-only console right now. We are looking at the phone in your pocket as the destination for you to stream, and the console that we have allows you to play the games locally."

Tommy McClain

Fortune did a nice video on xCloud. You can see the 2U rack hardware housing 8 XB1S systems here...

Not a technical observation but the corridors in this facility are narrow. Perhaps Microsoft only recruits thin people so that can easily pass each other in their narrow corridors, preventing congestion. I know this is an odd post, but I worked in a building where worked out that there was more space in the central atrium than in the office areas. When we queried this with the building team, they provided a 'quote' from the architect (so they said) saying something bonkers like "we want people's minds to have space to escape problems". Whereas my problem was trying to squeeze past Claudia, the Colombian lady who pushed around the tea/treats trolly, on my way to a meeting in room that could comfortably hold six but where there was ten people. You either brought your chair to meetings or risked having to stand. :???: Even if all ten people brought chairs you couldn't physically fit them all in the room. If you left your chair outside, somebody would likely steal it so that when you went back to your desk, you had nothing to sit on.

Sounds like Dilbert's workplace

Worse I reckon. I read in the last couple of days, and I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, that Microsoft commented that cloud gaming isn't for everybody anytime soon but it's the future. They are definitely right. At some point, something - maybe with the widespread adoption of cheap 5G or whatever comes next - bandwidth and latency for the greater majority will be non-issues.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/09/24/project-xcloud-public-preview/

Project xCloud Public Preview: Help Us Shape the Future of Game Streaming

Today we’re inviting the community to take the next step with us and join the Project xCloud (Preview), coming this October to the United States, United Kingdom and Korea.

Public preview is a critical phase in our multi-year ambition to deliver game streaming globally at the scale and quality of experience that the gaming community deserves and expects. It’s time to put Project xCloud to the test in a broader capacity, with a range of gamers, devices, network environments and real-world use-case scenarios, and this is where you come in. At Xbox, we’ve made it a priority to engage with all of you to help in the creation process. We now want you to play with us and share your feedback on Project xCloud so we can iterate and improve, week after week. Join us, have fun playing, share your stories and feedback, and be part of the journey.

Here’s what to expect from the Project xCloud public preview and how you can register to participate:

• If you’re in the US and UK, you can sign up to register today here, and if you’re in Korea, you can register here. We’ll begin to send invites in the coming weeks. With a goal of learning and improving quickly, we’re taking a phased approach to our public preview, starting with a small number of participants to get initial feedback, then opening it up to more and more gamers. If you don’t receive an invite right away, there will be other opportunities; we’ll continue to open up more spots over time.
  • Xbox launched with Halo, and so will the Project xCloud public preview. It will begin with Halo 5: Guardians, the all-new Gears 5, a fantastic fast-twitch fighter Killer Instinct, and the online adventure Sea of Thieves. This is just the beginning as our content library will continue to grow as the preview progresses.
  • There are a few requirements to participate in the Project xCloud preview. You’ll need a phone or tablet running Android 6.0 or higher with Bluetooth 4.0; a Microsoft account; a Bluetooth-enabled Xbox One Wireless Controller; and while not required, we recommend a phone mount for your controller. Project xCloud runs on Wi-Fi and mobile networks in your area.
  • You will be able to access content through our all-new Microsoft Game Streaming app, available in the coming weeks for Android devices. It’ll be available for all to download, but you’ll only be able to sign in once you’ve received an official invite into the preview.

They definitely aren't being cautious about it. Immediately going in on fast action games where the effects of lag will be the most noticeable, especially Killer Instinct.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jay
I'm very surprised at the games they chose for their initial batch. Also no forza considering that's what they was showing of.

I registered as US tester. Hopefully it won't do geo ip blocking.

Wanna try it on Android on Switch hahaha

I registered as US tester. Hopefully it won't do geo ip blocking.

You're not going to have a good experience if they let you in because you're too far away from the data centers that will be hosting the betas.

You're not going to have a good experience if they let you in because you're too far away from the data centers that will be hosting the betas.

I could VPN from data center to data center, thus reducing lag tremendously.

Currently with my routing, going to US server will need 250-350 ms.

But with VPN, it can go under 100ms.

But I want to try without VPN, I'm curious

Last edited:
Here's the link to the Google Play app. If you didn't receive the invite it won't work though, but it can tell you if your device is compatible. My phone & Chromebook are not. :/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.xcloud&pageId=none

EDIT 1:

Reddit has a nice primer on it...

Evidently Microsoft is teaming up with PowerA for a controller clip. I'm hoping they're making one where the phone screen is closer to my face. Everything I've seen so far is so far away when it's is mounted on top of the controller.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
Back