Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 held/holds up pretty well for being what it is also, guess the PS5 will do the same the 7 or so years it will be in service.

You forgot that the Memory in Ps4 was 16x bigger than in Ps3 , and you cannot replace a big Ram Amount with an SSD, My SSD in my Imac crashed after a year when i copy many Photos from my Cam to the Computer, SSD have not a unlimited Lifetime. So yes I'm sceptical

Nothing can be futureproofed at ~200W and sub-$501. Especially in the enviroment where PC gamers gladly pay that entire amount just for CPU, not to mention other components.

We can only get "the best we can" with hardware available in 2020 [well, 2019]. Same happened with PS4 in 2013. Do you think that that console was, how you say it @Karmaprof, "pretty pathetic"?

Yes Amd and Sony didnt innovate the Tech like other Companys like Apple, Nvidia, Tesla, Real3d/lockheed Martin, Evans and Sutherland.

Some points you make are right, but if they have a low raw power they must be super efficient like an Iphone 11.

Last edited:
You forgot that the Memory in Ps4 was 16x bigger than in Ps3 , and you cannot replace a big Ram Amount with an SSD, My SSD in my Imac crashed after a year when i copy many Photos from my Cam to the Computer, SSD have not a unlimited Lifetime. So yes I'm sceptical

The 8th gen also shifted to the x86 architecture, original plans where 4gb i think, with developers wanting more. About the SSD i dunno, but i agree that might be a problem if it ain't replacable, but my guess is it will be PCI-E 4.0/NVMe with an additional arm cpu or something like that to speed things up.

Nobody official said that. If they are RDNA2+ TFlops atleast 10 sounds abit too much maybe. If their saying 10+ we might be looking at 7 or 8 RDNA2 TF's.

Where did I say this is official, this is exactly the same source Kelly Rickards ex Gamefan and EGM editor. He knows more about the target specs but he doesn't want to say something too precise. And he seems to have the same information than Andrew Reiner the Gameinformer editor when he publishes a tweet at E3 after speaking with devs. The PS5 is a bit more powerful but not by far, comparable to Xbox One and Xbox One S power differential. It was the case in June 2019 maybe this change since this moment.

He said before the two target specs are above 10 Tflops RDNA. But he seems to say raw Tflops are not impressive and this is the case at 10-11 Tflops when Xbox One X is 6 Tflops.

EDIT: when he said it is not impressive this is true and when he said at least 10 Tflops this is not true. Strange reasoning.

Last edited:
25-30 fps , 7 Tf,16 Gbyte ram (rumored)is pretty pathetic, not a future proof Hardware. For this they need 7 years after ps4 launch in 2013? Shame to Sonys and AMD R&D. So Platinum Chief is right , no innovation or revolutionary Tech , pretty basic stuff. THis is the reason why all Game Companys so silent about Nextgen Consoles , and missing tech Demos to the public, when you compare the previous hype train from older Console Generation. If Ps5/ Scarlett really powerful they would not shown tech demos behind closed doors.

Where does come from those 7 Tflops? if we take the same source, he said more than 10 Tflops for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett. Same he said when asked to guess RAM size 20 GB. I suppose 4 GB for OS and 16 GB for games with a fast SSD(2 to 4 GB/s or maybe more) this is good .

EDIT: when he said it is not impressive this is true and when he said at least 10 Tflops this is not true. Strange reasoning.

I don't get why you want high TF numbers so badly, like many have said before, this generation it isn't about raw TF numbers. Devs could have had another architecture then RDNA2 to work with before, that perhaps closer matches to what the final HW might be (Vega to Navi2).
A RX5700 level of performance, that's 7/8TF, with Ray Tracing on RDNA2+ arch sounds very realistic to me. If you are expecting 10/11+ TF's of RDNA2+ and RT logic, you might be dissapointed later if you are counting on high TF numbers.
With both NV and AMD we shifted to less TF's resulting in more performance. Also, 'just' 16GB for games isn't anything too low considering were also seeing the SSD storage playing a much bigger role.

Oh and, it doesn't matter if a journalist or some random forum member says a random TF number, both are discounted right away since they aren't Sony. A forum member here claimed 7TF, that's as much true as someone else not-official claiming 11TF.

I don't get why you want high TF numbers so badly, like many have said before, this generation it isn't about raw TF numbers. Devs could have had another architecture then RDNA2 to work with before, that perhaps closer matches to what the final HW might be (Vega to Navi2).
A RX5700 level of performance, that's 7/8TF, with Ray Tracing on RDNA2+ arch sounds very realistic to me. If you are expecting 10/11+ TF's of RDNA2+ and RT logic, you might be dissapointed later if you are counting on high TF numbers.
With both NV and AMD we shifted to less TF's resulting in more performance. Also, 'just' 16GB for games isn't anything too low considering were also seeing the SSD storage playing a much bigger role.

Oh and, it doesn't matter if a journalist or some random forum member says a random TF number, both are discounted right away since they aren't Sony. A forum member here claimed 7TF, that's as much true as someone else not-official claiming 11TF.

Because 10 Tflops is better than 7 Tflops. :mrgreen: This is baseless speculation and at least the guy gives his identity. The guy is well known since GAF and his identity was verified. This is a bit different than a random forumer.;)

I can imagine what will arrive with the crazies on Internet if he lies.:LOL: I take a definitive ban bet from b3d than the two consoles will have at least 16 Gb of RAM available to devs and I take a definitive ban bet from b3d than Sony SSD will be something custom looking like the SSD in the patent, no idea of the speed for sure between 1 to 20 GB/s like in the patent and probably 4 to 5 GB/s. I take too a definitive ban bet than more and more games on PC will use Vulkan.

Because 10 Tflops is better than 7 Tflops. :mrgreen: This is baseless speculation and at least the guy gives his identity. The guy is well known since GAF and his identity was verified. This is a bit different than a random forumer.

I'd rather have 7/8TF RDNA2+ with advanced and developed RT logic, then 11TF pure raw power. It is not very realistic to expect both, if you want that get RTX3080 or whatever AMD by next year. Just cause he's indentified on neogaf doesn't mean he actually is in the position to claim or know how many TF's the consoles are going to have. I think the whole Stadia 10+ TF thing has something to do with it, but Stadia was on another architecture, which will age faster compared to PS5's more advanced 7/8TF's (if it's in that range :p)

I can imagine what will arrive with the crazies on Internet if he lies.:LOL: I take a definitive ban bet from b3d than the two consoles will have at least 16 Gb of RAM available to devs and I take a definitive ban bet from b3d than Sony SSD will be something custom looking like the SSD in the patent, no idea of the speed for sure between 1 to 20 GB/s like in the patent and probably 4 to 5 GB/s. I take too a definitive ban bet than more and more games on PC will use Vulkan.

He's not lying if they were on 10TF of pre- Navi though, and betting on next gen console TF's is a bad idea anyway as even Sony themselfs probably haven't finalized the GPU clocks, CU numbers etc.
It's a no-brainer that they are going to have around 16GB for games atleast, not a dangerous bet there, the SSD solution will be very fast too sure. No idea about Vulkan but AMD hardware has an advantage if both consoles are using it. On TF numbers, offcourse i want 11TF or more but seeing how AMD's highest end isn't even that now, just a year before launch, and that thing doesn't even have RT onboard, on a older architecture then what the consoles and gpu's then will have.
Like said, expect RX5700 ballpark performance with ray tracing and you won't be too far off, whatever TF number that might result in.

He's not lying if they were on 10TF of pre- Navi though, and betting on next gen console TF's is a bad idea anyway as even Sony themselfs probably haven't finalized the GPU clocks, CU numbers etc.

I'm sure he mentioned that the 10tflops was Navi , which if true sounds like they going all out with what they can put into a console.

Firstly I don't really care to much about the hardware specs, I feel we have reached a point where the amount of time/money and talent of a dev studio has become much more important.
It's not like the days of PS1 - PS2 where game characters went from barely looking human to actually looking human.

People were complaining about diminishing returns the beginning of this gen but I feel that's going to start with next gen, obviously I mean for the normal consumer though(it's why I feel the storage speed is so important for both next gen consoles because that's going to be the biggest next gen thing that the normal consumer will notice).

For people with technical knowledge though the improved lighting and more dynamic simulations that will be possible will be fantastic.

I'd rather have 7/8TF RDNA2+ with advanced and developed RT logic, then 11TF pure raw power. It is not very realistic to expect both, if you want that get RTX3080 or whatever AMD by next year. Just cause he's indentified on neogaf doesn't mean he actually is in the position to claim or know how many TF's the consoles are going to have. I think the whole Stadia 10+ TF thing has something to do with it, but Stadia was on another architecture, which will age faster compared to PS5's more advanced 7/8TF's (if it's in that range :p)

It's a no-brainer that they are going to have around 16GB for games atleast, not a dangerous bet there, the SSD solution will be very fast too sure. No idea about Vulkan but AMD hardware has an advantage if both consoles are using it. On TF numbers, offcourse i want 11TF or more but seeing how AMD's highest end isn't even that now, just a year before launch, and that thing doesn't even have RT onboard, on a older architecture then what the consoles and gpu's then will have.
Like said, expect RX5700 ballpark performance with ray tracing and you won't be too far off, whatever TF number that might result in.

Again when they asked he said 10 TF Navi and he said Navi was in the June 2019 devkit and maybe even some devkit before. Vulkan is due to Stadia with it you can reach Windows PC, Linux, Mac OS, Switch.

RDNA 2 will have raytracing, this is part of the architecture. And from one mod in resetera, the specs seems finalize now or will not change out of a little frequency modification like on Xbox One. The Xbox One X had the final spec one year and a half before release.

I'm sure he mentioned that the 10tflops was Navi , which if true sounds like they going all out with what they can put into a console.

Firstly I don't really care to much about the hardware specs, I feel we have reached a point where the amount of time/money and talent of a dev studio has become much more important.
It's not like the days of PS1 - PS2 where game characters went from barely looking human to actually looking human.

People were complaining about diminishing returns the beginning of this gen but I feel that's going to start with next gen, obviously I mean for the normal consumer though(it's why I feel the storage speed is so important for both next gen consoles because that's going to be the biggest next gen thing that the normal consumer will notice).

For people with technical knowledge though the improved lighting and more dynamic simulations that will be possible will be fantastic.

It seems improvement will be visible this gen but after this gen diminishing return will be a big things if we have one day another gen. I doubt it.

Last edited:

He mentioned double digits, Navi, PS5 a bit higher than Scarlet, difference about XB1 -> XB1 S.

Which means PS5 is targeted to be about 11 Tflops (10tflops < Scarlett < PS5) Navi (RDNA 1 or 2, unknown; maybe 1.5) with hardware RT in the GPU, no software emulation with microcode and such. This is quite better than 5700 XT (about 9.2 tflops without RT).

tumblr_n5lyb8G7In1rzs6gdo1_500.gif

Well, I don't quite see where comes the expectation that PS5 will have RDNA2 GPU.

AMD presentations clearly say that the PS5 APU will use 7nm process and has Zen 2 CPU cores with Navi GPU.

PS5-GPU-Will-Use-Brand-New-RDNA-Architecture-Developed-by-AMD.jpg

And from AMD product road maps we can see that 7nm process is used for RDNA and Zen 2, while 7nm EUV (7N+) process is used for RDNA 2 and Zen 3.

amd-arkkitehtuurit-zen.jpg

amd-arkkitehtuurit-rdna.jpg

I.e. following options are possible with single chip APU:

1) 7nm: Zen 2 + RDNA
2) 7nm EUV: Zen 3 + RDNA 2

We know that Sony has selected the option 1. We don't know if Microsoft has selected option 1 or option 2.

25-30 fps...
That's an utterly premature reaction from you. We're talking an alpha build of launch software, and your judging an entire platform's future on it! A 30 fps looking better than anything before is a substantial improvement on most launch titles which are typically slightly improved last-gen games at higher res and/or framerate.

The actual description here is better graphics than anything out there now. How can that not be as future proofed as you can possibly get?!

"Above and beyond what any game is able to accomplish."
"It's doomed!"

And to criticise Sony's R&D based on rumoured specs? That's really poor form. Complain about the rumoured console if you want, but don't go insulting people over rumours.

Edit: In fact, insulting Sony's R&D is a really dumb argument in this case. In this rumoured scenario, they are making a 7TF console outperform a GPU almost twice its power and costing way more than a console on its own. Stupid old Sony engineers, making a console that's smaller, cheaper, faster and more capable. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And other things RTX 3080(7nm EUV Samsung) will destroy a 10-11 Tflops RDNA 1 or 2 GPU, the GPU is not as powerful as a 2080(12nm) and I don't even talk of a 2080 Super(12nm) or 2080 Ti(12nm). And I expect high end AMD RDA 2 GPU to destroy in performance a 10-11 Tflops RDNA 1 or 2 or 1.5 GPU.

A RTX 3070 will probably be more powerful too.

A 10-11 Tflops RDNA GPU is not as powerful as 2018 high end GPU from Nvidia at all. I expect a 10-11 Tflops RDNA 2 GPU to be a midrange gaming GPU in 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back