Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 did this for both DVD and Blu-ray playback capability and I believe PS3 did it too.

None of them did unless it was hidden behind the scenes.

My (probably wrong) understanding is that MS pay for each unit that is registered as a player whereas Sony don’t.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Never mention this, even in jest! :no::runaway:

Has there ever been any analysis or public record on how much compute is used now. Do games now run close to the 14+4 (22%) Cerny mentioned at the outset of the generation or are we even over this now?

Has there ever been any analysis or public record on how much compute is used now. Do games now run close to the 14+4 (22%) Cerny mentioned at the outset of the generation or are we even over this now?
It's very hard to analyse because some CUs are more-round than other less-round CUs. Base PS4 has some dodecahedron-shaped CUs and PS4 Pro has some pentacontagon-shaped CUs.

There. Said it. NDA be damned. :nope:

Fresh from ResetEra, Kelly Rickards, ex Gamefan editor, has again laid his eyes and written an impression of a unannounced multiplat openworld PS5 game.

#1:
" The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive. "

"One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!
Casting. Perfect.Fucking. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthefuck bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason."

"In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.
I was."

Era member: And you said that was the biggest open world game ever in terms of scope? Damn!!
Klee: Without question.

"No. It's not quite like CGI, but it way better than current stuff. I so hope that it shows up in a reveal so you can see it."

"I've only seen a multiplatform game running on PS5 development hardware. That said, it should look exactly the same on Xbox Scarlett"

"It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019)"

"There are at least two more major revisions coming but I don't know the exact details of what that entails"

Last edited:
"One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!

Heavily implies raytracing to my mind.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever.
I wouldn't assume that without proper confirmation. 2160p from upscaling with a great reconstruction algorithm may look just as crisp and sharp without having to render all those pixels.

Classic example of how not-important the TF numbers are going to be, there's other advanced features being improved and added.

It’s also very possible that the RDNA2 GPUs see another substantial performance per flop/clock increase like we saw from GCN to RDNA. A 7TF RDNA2 GPU may perform as well as a 9 TF RDNA1 one for all we know.

I can definitely see a scenario where sources are claiming certain TF specs based on what’s being used in the prototypes at the time. They’re not lying, but they may not be aware of how the hardware will evolve.

Hypothetical example: early devkits are based on GCN Vega 64 cards with 12 TF, rumors start. Second round of devkits based on Navi at 10TF. More rumors, but Oh no downgrades! Final devkits based on RDNA2 or some hybrid at a even lower TF number. More rumors and even more down grades! Yet performance in reality has stayed the same or even increase with each iteration.

It'll be interesting to see what MS and Sony introduce to replace TF numberwang.
Just ignore them. Talk about features and games and show pretties.

It’s also very possible that the RDNA2 GPUs see another substantial performance per flop/clock increase like we saw from GCN to RDNA. A 7TF RDNA2 GPU may perform as well as a 9 TF RDNA1 one for all we know.
A FLOP is not simply a FLOP when you can do more complex instructions (transcendentals) per cycle. It's the old CISC versus RISC 'MIPS' counts come full circle.

What are not impressive specs to him i wonder. A multiplatform game looking that good is a great thing, requirements could be 2070/5700 atleast.
I think he meant that games will look impressive even though console will not get highest possible PC hardware.

Heavily implies raytracing to my mind.
He mentioned raytracing in his original posts about that multiplat PS5 game few months ago.

More rumors and even more down grades! Yet performance in reality has stayed the same or even increase with each iteration.

I think he meant that games will look impressive even though console will not get highest possible PC hardware.

Probably RX5700 level of performance, somewhere. Makes the most sense, with some form of RT. If the user on resetera is telling any truth, the RT seems to do a pretty good job on AMD hardware. Going to be interesting to see how AMD's gpu's are going to perform, they should have the advantage of consoles having the same hardware, games get coded for that. That huge open world RT game might perform better on AMD's gpu's by that time.

Fresh from ResetEra, Kelly Rickards, ex Gamefan editor, has again laid his eyes and written an impression of a unannounced multiplat openworld PS5 game.

#1:
" The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive. "

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason."

"In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.
I was."

Era member: And you said that was the biggest open world game ever in terms of scope? Damn!!
Klee: Without question.

"No. It's not quite like CGI, but it way better than current stuff. I so hope that it shows up in a reveal so you can see it."

"I've only seen a multiplatform game running on PS5 development hardware. That said, it should look exactly the same on Xbox Scarlett"

"It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019)"

"There are at least two more major revisions coming but I don't know the exact details of what that entails"

25-30 fps , 7 Tf,16 Gbyte ram (rumored)is pretty pathetic, not a future proof Hardware. For this they need 7 years after ps4 launch in 2013? Shame to Sonys and AMD R&D. So Platinum Chief is right , no innovation or revolutionary Tech , pretty basic stuff. THis is the reason why all Game Companys so silent about Nextgen Consoles , and missing tech Demos to the public, when you compare the previous hype train from older Console Generation. If Ps5/ Scarlett really powerful they would not shown tech demos behind closed doors.

Last edited:
25-30 fps , 7 Tf,16 Gbyte ram (rumored)is pretty pathetic, not a future proof Hardware. For this they need 7 years after ps4 launch in 2013? Shame to Sonys and AMD R&D. So Platinum Chief is right , no innovation or revolutionary Tech , pretty basic stuff.

The hardware was never going to be 'impressive' compared to higher-end pc stuff, but does it need to be? The game he's describing looks truly next-gen, better then anything out there right now on all platforms. There won't be 32GB's of main ram but the SSD can help with that, there won't be 14TF's of turing but RT will enable much more then just TF numbers. A 8 core zen 2 cpu will do so much more then a 8 core jaguar cpu clocked at 1.6ghz. Next-gen will finally also see games taking use of newer nvidia/amd hardware, as with current gen everything is coded for low end 2013 hardware.

Nothing can be futureproofed at ~200W and sub-$501. Especially in the enviroment where PC gamers gladly pay that entire amount just for CPU, not to mention other components.

We can only get "the best we can" with hardware available in 2020 [well, 2019]. Same happened with PS4 in 2013. Do you think that that console was, how you say it @Karmaprof, "pretty pathetic"?

Also, your framerate jab is uncalled for. Firwst nextgen games will be released in 13 months, there's ample time to get them ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back