Post and Thread BBCode tags

DmitryKo

Veteran
I was searching my old posts, and found they use [ post ] and [ thread ] codes which do not work in XenForo anymore, so these tags are not parsed and the links are broken.

Could this be fixed? There are simple XenForo addons, Content BBCode and ThreadPostBBCode, which render these tags as relevant Friendly URL links; alternatively, Post Content Find/Replace addon can convert these tags to Friendly URLs, so that [ post = # ] text [ / post ] tag becomes [ URL = ' http : // forum . beyond3d . com / posts / # ' ] text [ / URL ] , etc.

I found out that old threads still use the old forum names for quotes even if the members changed names. It was one of the Baron's old posts labelled as by The Baron, but he's Tim Murray now.

Not sure if it applies, but I noticed it today along with the tag stuff while searching for a post from October of 2003 about my heart attack. LOL

I've looked through the ancient threads and the post ID numbers in my [ post ] tags do not point to the originally linked posts anymore - though the [ quote ] tags seem to have been updated to the new post ID numbers by the upgrade process.

Bad, BAD XenForo! :devilish:

So no luck I guess. :cry:

old threads still use the old forum names for quotes even if the members changed names
User name, along with post ID (in VBulletin 3+) and user ID (in XenForo), is inserted to the [ quote ] tag when you Reply (or Quote-Reply) to that particular post - i.e.
[QUOTE = "digitalwanderer, post: 2084661, member: 327" ]
So the curent user name remains in the post content and will not automatically change, but the actual user profile can be hyperlinked by the user ID number, if a particular forum style makes use of it.

BTW I can't find member names that contain 'Baron', 'Tim' or 'Murray' - this user probably plays name-changing games a bit too often...

I've looked through the ancient threads and the post ID numbers in my [ post ] tags do not point to the originally linked posts anymore - though the [ quote ] tags seem to have been updated to the new post ID numbers by the upgrade process.

Bad, BAD XenForo! :devilish:

So no luck I guess. :cry:
When the board was migrated to XenForo, all IDs should have remained the same for threads, posts, members etc. Unless migration was done non-default, with some existing content in the XF DB. The migration process does make a log of all old and new content for the purposes of building re-directions but it's rarely needed unless IDs are different.

All IDs should have remained the same for threads, posts, members
I've checked nearly all my old posts (there weren't many of them in the ancient days) and none of the [ post ] tags match anymore. Maybe the IDs were corrupted by some previous VBulletin upgrades or database failures, and not XenForo, but it's how they are now and I can see no obvious offset or other conversion factor that may be used to restore them.

#620952 links to #650804 - should've been #620925
#1763629 links to #1830629 - should've been #1763619
#1763689 links to #1831076 - should've been #1763629
#1763702 links to #1780981 - should've been #1763644?
#1763830 links to #1835443 - should've been #1763773
#1785870 links to #1836199 - should've been #1785807?
#1785875 links to #1840169 and #1780981 - should've been #1785662 and #1763644?
#1785920 links to #1840169 - should've been #1785662
#1785929 links to #1840198 and #1841448 - should've been #1785875? and #1785870?
#1785911 links to #1836199 - should've been #1785807?
and so on.

Last edited:
User name, along with post ID (in VBulletin 3+) and user ID (in XenForo), is inserted to the [ quote ] tag when you Reply (or Quote-Reply) to that particular post - i.e.
[QUOTE = "digitalwanderer, post: 2084661, member: 327" ]
So the curent user name remains in the post content and will not automatically change, but the actual user profile can be hyperlinked by the user ID number, if a particular forum style makes use of it.

BTW I can't find member names that contain 'Baron', 'Tim' or 'Murray' - this user probably plays name-changing games a bit too often...
Well technically he went by "The Baron" and goes by "Tim Murray" now, but I'm pretty sure he's only changed it once. I've known him for a while. ;)

Ah, I see. The search box would autocomplete for 'Tim', but not for 'Tim Murray', and submitting 'Tim' or 'Murray' will not show partial matches.

Last edited:
Strange and mysterious are the murky depths of B3D. Its history is longer than is remembered on servers, and its lore is the stuff of legends and nightmares.

Ain't it a great place to hang? :D

Back