Borderlands 3 [PS4, XO]

Are you having the same problem I'm having which is forgetting to swap between weapon modes? It's a new game play addition that I just keep forgetting about whenever I'm in battle.

Like you, too low level to get a nice interaction between different weapon modes, skills and class mods at this point. Hopefully, it'll open up soon and I can play more with respec'ing. I decided to give up on grenades at spec two skills - the barrier and digi-clone and it seems to improve my DPS and survivability but the fact that my clone only stays in one spot means rushing into the fray, dropping the clone and then retreating and dropping my barrier. Ehh..

Most weapons I'm using now don't have different weapon modes, well I should say I'm preferring the more simplistic guns. I'm not talking about the Dahl weapons that switch between Full-Auto and #-Shot Burst or #-Shot Burst and Single Fire (Semi-Auto). Early on there was one assault rifle with the alt-mode of being a shotgun and all I ever used it for was the shotgun.

The weapons I have now that I noticed having alt-modes are Atlas but I dont have many of those and the other is Malliwan to switch between the elements, but I really do not like the introduced pre-charge delay. The only acceptable Malliwan weapon I use so far the Tsunami SMG. I just cant be bothered to try out the Atlas "Tracking" and then Smart-Follow gun play. It seems too much setup work for battles that typically wont last long enough to see the benefit.

Last night I played a few minutes with a friend ( Xarthna ) and during the boss battle the levels shown to us were both different. He was level 21 and I was level 22 so the Boss indicated level 23 for him but level 24 for me. That was the first time I ever had that happen in a BL game.

Looks like Borderlands is doing a special rewards month for October, beginning this week with increased Legendary loot drops from Bosses

• Mouthpiece has an increased chance to drop Gatling Gun
  • KillaVolt has an increased chance to drop Brainstormer
  • Gigamind has an increased chance to drop Nagata
  • Katagawa Ball has an increased chance to drop Rectifier
  • Katagawa has an increased chance to drop Legendary class mods (all Vault Hunters)
  • Rampager has an increased chance to drop Kill-o'-the-Wisp
  • Warden has an increased chance to drop Echo
  • GenIVIV has an increased chance to drop Ten Gallon
  • Aurelia has an increased chance to drop Creeping Death
  • Graveward has an increased chance to drop Earworm
  • Pain and Terror have an increased chance to drop Legendary class mods (all Vault Hunters)
  • Troy has an increased chance to drop Nova Berner
  • Tyreen has an increased chance to drop Bitch
Future weeks: (I'm looking forward to spooky surprise!)
Week 1 (October 1-7): Bonus Boss Loot!
Week 2 (October 8-14): Rare Spawn Hunt!
Week 3 (October 15-21): Show Me the Eridium!
Week 4 (October 22-28): Mayhem on Twitch!
Week 5 (October 29 - November 4): Spooky Surprise!

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/...rified=1&sig=dc40016e3631357bc1ada2cdf607395a

Some of those nerfs are done stupidly where it makes that nerfed perk entirely worthless.

If you want to feel really depressed at the state of development just read through some Reddit threads with actual analysis done by the players. It makes it seem like no one at the company ever played the character(s) and used the skills. If players can figure this shit within an hour of patch release, what the fuck are the devs doing?

Some of those nerfs are done stupidly where it makes that nerfed perk entirely worthless.

If you want to feel really depressed at the state of development just read through some Reddit threads with actual analysis done by the players. It makes it seem like no one at the company ever played the character(s) and used the skills. If players can figure this shit within an hour of patch release, what the fuck are the devs doing?

What I'm finding strange about BL3 is that the skills seem to be far more "straight forward" than BL2, almost akin to BL1. Shorter time was always better, bigger ways always better, etc... Whereas in BL2 they introduced skills, perks and weapon effects that appeared to be counterintutive and it was only if you changed your play style and had the right interactions of all of them that suddenly you saw the benefits. I'm talking about guns with insanely low magazine sizes but worked great if you maxed your reload speed and got perks for each reload... or things that would lower your health but if you found the right class mod, you're damage increased drastically when you were at 20% health or so.

Maybe I'm too early in the game still, but even reading the reddit forums I'm not seeing these sort of synergistic builds.

Billy The Anointed is a horrible mini-boss. Everyone I spoke to has had to cheese him to kill him. This is around level 26 to 28.

Its yet another situation where I was low on ammo before going into the area that had no vending machines around to restock. So the first death was from 0 SMG left. The next 3 deaths were from spawning into the respawn point and him having teleported into that section and killing me again. Then on one retry the next day he teleported himself offscreen and into a wall and would not come out. I had to reload the game again and make my way back into that section.

I'm now level 28 and looking to do more sidequests so I can use random equipment drops that are level above me.

So trying to rush through the main missions aren't helping like they had in BL1 or BL2.

As for what you pointed out, I haven't found anything as synergistic as BL2 builds were capable of.

I wonder if they reordered the missions after sections were completed.

When I finished the Eden-6 sections most quests were level 33 to 34. When I returned to Pandora a good chunk of quests were level 27 to 28. WtF? All the rewards from a sizable number of quests and random loot is entirely too low, by 10 levels or such. I'm now level 38 but seeing level 28 in the chests or as rewards. And this is in a section of Pandora that you can not get to any earlier than having progressed so far through the story. Unfortunately the Bosses are still dynamic levels, so they're 1 or 2 above you. While a good part of it is now cakewalk, I haven't found any Improvements for equipment. So that's bad.

I had to resort to shopping and frequently visiting Earl's Eridium machine. I was around 1600 and spent most of it between 2 guns and 1 shield. The gun is annointed but not for my class. Doesn't matter, it's still better than anything I had because its 10 levels above what the game is rewarding me with. This was last weekend, before this weekly special event.

Grrrrrrr. So many little things that could really make this game shine, but simply overlooked or missed.

Bloody Harvest Event Trailer is out:

Looks like it could be fun, but it'll be interesting to see how its actually implemented. They can't just replace current enemies with spooky versions, can they? I would think that could mess up the missions.

I loved the BL2 DLC, I wish they could have done something similar.

edit: I found so more info about how it will work:

While Bloody Harvest is active, you'll notice a peculiar newcomer aboard your ship: Maurice, a surprisingly friendly Saurian who can speak to you via a device of Tannis' own invention. As Borderlands 3 Creative Director Paul Sage explained during The Borderlands Show, "Maurice is your guide to all of [Borderlands 3's] seasonal events." GOING TO HECK When Bloody Harvest begins, Maurice will offer you a repeatable mission that must be completed in order to reach Heck, the spooky setting for Borderlands 3's Bloody Harvest.

So it is going to be a completely different game area, sounds like it is like the DLC from before - only free and limited time (probably much much smaller as well.)

Last edited:
I'm in the last few stages of the storyline, and the loot drops are all over the place. One day I'm getting higher damage numbers, like 160 for SMGs with FireRates around 9-13 ranges, then the next two days they're like 85 - 90 for SMGs with FireRates around all the SMGs are around the 6-8 ranges. Talk about very skewed RNGs.

I've also started sending some of the weapons I've upgraded from or picked up that looked decent to others using the game's "Send Mail" feature in the Social menu instead of selling them for scant amount of cash. No obligations to those receiving them to actually use them or hold on to them until you're appropriate level to use them. If nothing else, sell them.

Interesting comments from Gearbox about more buffs coming to the characters because after you go through one play through, they start to feel under-powered. Funny, I've spent years playing the various Borderlands games but only up through TVHM, repeatedly going up in level to farm just isn't my cup of tea.

Sage: As you play the game for the first time to the end of the main story, I think the numbers for all the characters look pretty good. At end-game, some of the perceived power of a character isn’t where we want it to be. Zane is going to get some buffs, as are Moze’s Iron Bear and FL4K’s pets. I want to be careful about the word “balance.” We’re not looking for “balance,” per se. We’re looking for characters to each contribute uniquely but powerfully when needed. The three I mentioned above aren’t currently feeling powerful enough in later game content.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...t-philosophy-on-nerfs-and-buffs/#48247d127025

Oh FFS, where's the buffs for Siren? She's a very underpowered character and is now in last place when going for Boss Melter builds.

Anybody else playing Bloody Harvest yet? Azbat and I have been playing, and it's a nice switch IMO. Some of the skulls are insane, really difficult to kill in the beginning.. I'm not sure if I got better weapons or just got better at killing them as we went along but at first they really seem to pop out and fly right at you really quickly before you can get a couple shots into them to kill them. Also, if you don't kill them in time they give you a terror mechanic that blocks your vision and slows you down although it's not for very long or really that bad of an impact. You can also get unique weapons that fire more quickly or do more damage when you've been hit with the terror. Thinking about it, that might be what is making the difference I was talking about above - I probably miss the first skull, get hit with terror, but then the others go down more quickly because of my weapon.

Anyway, it's fun.. even the intro screen is pretty funny. Claptrap gets chased by a jack o lattern and then comes screaming back across the screen with the pumpkin on his head... it's very Borderlands. :)

It's a good bit of fun. However, I noticed the skulls when I was trying to run through a Circle of Slaughter SOLO. The additional mobs to kill were a pain. Needless to say, I need to hit level 50 and get better equipment before I have a chance to SOLO any Circle of Slaughters beyond the first 2 rounds. I wish it had a toggle.

I wonder what happens to the Bloody Harvest weapons when the even is over, come December 6th? Same question asked here by others: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...iable-after-bloody-harvest-ends/#1dedd589b6f1

Yeah, it looks like some equipment will allow you to generate terror on your own so you can still use your weapons once the event ends - but it doesn't seem a very viable mechanic.

@BRiT I've got a question for you that I've just realized.. one thing this game seems to be missing is the hidden red weapons chests that you were rewarded with for exploring. I started playing a new game with Moze so I can play a bit when Azbat isn't available and I'm taking extra time trying to explore everything even more than before and I'm not finding jack. Am I just bad at it this game or does it seem like since they made essentially every container be a possible weapons supply, they've vastly limited the normal weapons crates?

Did they get removed/severely limited or do I just need to look harder? Am I missing something maybe due to the new climbing mechanic so I'm not going vertical enough?

I'm very bad at finding the new "red chests". When I check challenges by clicking down on left stick, most of my areas show 0 of 3, but a few show 2 of 3. The last time I went through an area looking for claptraps I didn't find any red chests and I looked at a lot of places. There are maps with them labeled so I might run through those. There were a tiny amount of white chests.

But... it feels wrong to have to do that. I never had to do that in any if the other BLs. In earlier games, they were right there at the end of areas or mini-boss or even mob clusters. I only sometimes had to use maps for hidden Vault Symbols, and then it was like only 7 or 8.

So I'm bad at this new game too.

Back