AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, that wasn't a mistake on our end. According to AMD, it really is a 150W TBP card.
Isn't that extremely high? The card is 35% faster than a 75w GTX 1650! Even with the worst possible scenario for AMD architectural efficiency, the RX 5500 should be be a 100~120w GPU max!

Aye, that wasn't a mistake on our end. According to AMD, it really is a 150W TBP card.

Meanwhile, Navi 14 is confirmed as well. That's not speculation on my part, that's straight from AMD.
Has this actually been separately confirmed by AMD? It wouldn't be the only mistake on the site (game clock and boost clock are reversed at least).
Also that would mean that rest of the card, practically the GDDR6-memories, is consuming more than the GPU (performance/watt slide has the GPU at 70W)
later edit:
So let's assume they're percents as they probably are and it's for GPU only
If RX 5500 consumes 30 % less than RX 480, GDDR6 must consume that much more power than GDDR5 for both cards to hit 150W TDP

Last edited:
Has this actually been separately confirmed by AMD? It wouldn't be the only mistake on the site (game clock and boost clock are reversed at least).
Also that would mean that rest of the card, practically the GDDR6-memories, is consuming more than the GPU (performance/watt slide has the GPU at 70W)
edit: it might be 70%, not 70W :D
Yes, it's been confirmed by AMD. The 150W figure in my article comes from AMD's product manager, for example. 150W is the figure everyone in the tech PR chain is giving us. (The reference card is also an 8-pinner, FWIW)

The website, while nice to have, is sometimes wrong to start things off as it's not maintained by the PMs. Which is why they had to correct it from 110W to 150W earlier today.

Isn't that extremely high? The card is 35% faster than a 75w GTX 1650! Even with the worst possible scenario for AMD architectural efficiency, the RX 5500 should be be a 100~120w GPU max!
It is. Unfortunately I don't have any more insight as to why it's so high. For that we'll have to wait for the retail cards.

Meanwhile, Navi 14 is confirmed as well. That's not speculation on my part, that's straight from AMD.

Neat. Since the RX5500 was basically dead on other than the curious disabling a single DCU (saving higher binned parts for a 5600 launch?) what's the Navi 14 then?

I see three possibilities. As stated previously, a slightly redesigned 10 with an extra DCU per block, giving it a twenty percent boost at least when it comes to pixel processing (maybe with 16GBPS GDDR6?). Or a move to six blocks (10 is 4 and 12 is 2). But even with TSMCs slightly updated 7nm (reportedly "up to" 10% lower power usage) I doubt they could increase die size that far without going over 300 watt tdp. So, third possibility, is it some integrated/mobile GPU that's one block?

Edit- also investigation into AMD's GDDR6 powerdraw would be really great. It seems Nvidia is using Micron, so is AMD using Samsung, does it really draw that much power?

Last edited:
Neat. Since the RX5500 was basically dead on other than the curious disabling a single DCU (saving higher binned parts for a 5600 launch?) what's the Navi 14 then?

I see three possibilities. As stated previously, a slightly redesigned 10 with an extra DCU per block, giving it a twenty percent boost at least when it comes to pixel processing (maybe with 16GBPS GDDR6?). Or a move to six blocks (10 is 4 and 12 is 2). But even with TSMCs slightly updated 7nm (reportedly "up to" 10% lower power usage) I doubt they could increase die size that far without going over 300 watt tdp. So, third possibility, is it some integrated/mobile GPU that's one block?

Edit- also investigation into AMD's GDDR6 powerdraw would be really great. It seems Nvidia is using Micron, so is AMD using Samsung, does it really draw that much power?
Navi 14 is the 5500, just like the quote your message had said.

AMD is using both Micron and Samsung (or at least Sapphire BIOSes have separate clock tables for both)

150W for these cards makes absolutely no sense.
The RX 5700 cards with similar game clocks (e.g. Sapphire Pulse) consume less than 190W, so they're not clocking the architecture too far.

This is the power consumption I'd expect of a 14nm 32 CU Vega with 256bit GDDR5, not a 7nm 22 CU Navi with 128bit GDDR6.

Could this be AMD sandbagging in anticipation of the 1650 Super release, like they did with the RX5700's price?

If this thing goes for under $1000, it might fly off the shelves.
Pricing seems somewhat high but might be MSI branding. As a "budget gaming" design, price will be $999 (8GB) and $1099(16GB).

Thanks to the use of the newest AMD Radeon RX 5500M graphics processor, MSI can claim that the Alpha 15 "is the first gaming laptop to feature 7nm technology". The firm says that this is a "budget gaming" design, and it will cost $999 or $1099 when it arrives later this month, with 8GB or 16GB of RAM, respectively.

Despite its 'budget' status, MSI has packed the design with some of its best mobile gaming PC tech. As well as the fast IPS FreeSync screen, mentioned in the intro, it implements a powerful cooling system, per-key RGB keyboard, Giant Speaker, High-Res audio, and more.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/laptop/135530-msi-details-amd-ryzennavi-powered-alpha-15-laptop/

It looks like both TSMC and AMD in turn are set to deliver "7nm+" products next year. No specific mention of GPUs, but since it appears that second gen RDNA is tied to 7nm+ production, it seems a better bet that we'll see it and its raytracing support next year as well.

Last edited:
This 5500 model could be great for a console application.
is atrocius from an efficient point of view. AMD better have something really more efficient with RDNA2 or Ampere will destroy it and we neither know what Intel has to show. AMD could end up being third in the market.

Last edited:
is atrocius from an efficient point of view. AMD better have something really more efficient with RDNA2 or Ampere will destroy it.

Ampere probably will be better, hence even high-end Turing will be better then what will be in consoles. But that doesn't really matter in the console space though?
For the dGPU market AMD better do something magical with their next gpu's.

Is the 150w TDP for the full uncut chip with 24CUs (RX 5600)?
That should place it between the 1660 and 1660Ti and likely priced at ~$200.
A 32CU Navi 10 would fall around Vega56 and priced at ~$249-279 (RX 5600XT)?

Is the 150w TDP for the full uncut chip with 24CUs (RX 5600)?
That should place it between the 1660 and 1660Ti and likely priced at ~$200.
A 32CU Navi 10 would fall around Vega56 and priced at ~$249-279 (RX 5600XT)?
I'm still saying that unless the GDDR6-memories actually draw more power than the GPU itself, there's no way the 150W can be realistic seeing where Navi 10 stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back