Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like these info releases coincide with new dev kit releases, in this case the controller being made available to devs.

From gofreak on resetera, the 8 cores 16 threads comes from SIE Japan press release. This is official

Machine translation

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has announced that its next-generation console game console will be called “PlayStation 5” (PS5) and will be released at the end of the year 2020.

PS5 is equipped with a custom SSD capable of ultra-high-speed access and a custom chipset made by AMD, and the load time of the game will be a thing of the past, making it possible to realize a game experience as imagined by creators, dynamic and beautiful Become. In addition, the controller is equipped with haptic technology instead of the conventional vibration technology, and the L2 and R2 buttons are equipped with adaptive triggers that feel resistance, so that you can enjoy the overwhelming immersive gaming world. Become.

<Hardware overview>
● Console game console
-Custom SSD for ultra-high speed access
   -AMD   custom chip -CPU: x86-64-AMD Ryzen ™ “Zen2”, 8 cores / 16 threads
   • GPU: AMD Radeon ™ RDNA (Radeon DNA) -based graphics engine
・ 3D audio processing unit
 ・ Up to 8K resolution output for games
 ・ Designed for compatibility with PlayStation®4 titles
 ・ PlayStation®VR compatible
● Controller
-Equipped with haptic technology-
 Adopting an adaptive trigger that makes L2 and R2 buttons feel resistance
● Physical media
・ Ultra HD Blu-ray
 ・ Capacity as a game disc is 100GB

SIE will create new experiences through PS5 and take entertainment to a higher level.

So now that both consoles are confirmed to have what many of us were speculating about for a whole year, it's time to discuss how their implementation of RT will work along side the requirements for 4K resolution.

We can safely postulate the level of their RT support to not exceed an RTX 2070 Super, I expect their compute performance to be on that same level too. And given the increased graphical fidelity that will be expected of next gen titles, is it logical to assume 1440p upscaled + medium RT integration for the first wave of games?

So now that both consoles are confirmed to have what many of us were speculating about for a whole year, it's time to discuss how their implementation of RT will work along side the requirements for 4K resolution.

We can safely postulate the level of their RT support to not exceed an RTX 2070 Super, I expect their compute performance to be on that same level too. And given the increased graphical fidelity that will be expected of next gen titles, is it logical to assume 1440p upscaled + medium RT integration for the first wave of games?

Wait for the implementaton the will choose for example Crytek used with Neo noir a mix of raytracing and voxel cone tracing implementation they said with RTX they can reach 4k.

I think we will see some hybrid implementation running at 4k 30 fps and running better on high end PC GPU.

Edit:
https://www.cryengine.com/news/how-we-made-neon-noir-ray-traced-reflections-in-cryengine-and-more

Last edited:
That discussion is more for the 4K gaming thread. This one is speculating about hardware, which means trying to guess the RT solutions ahead of release with no clues or pointers from anywhere!

Aren't the specs/architecture already pinned down? RDNA2 isn't even available yet. Same for Zen3.

AMD already stated on their Future memo pdf thingy that next gen consoles will use RDNA2 so unless they talk shit, it is what ps5 will use too. It is not available to customers but it doenst mean that it wont be available for sony/ms at 2020

Still not more than educated guess.
If 7TF but 800 GB/s is true, we could try to find out how much bandwidth is a bottleneck with RTX. (Likely not possible to do so, but seeing just a 2x speedup vs. compute so often i would not be surprised if bandwidth is a major problem, and the motivation to go 800)
Also it would be interesting to know how Navi performs with Radeon Rays, to see how RT benefits from the better cache. HW RT should just share this benefit, independent form other factors we can't know yet.

I also wonder if 7TF/800 for one of two consoles could also mean the base model from two PS5. :)

Bandwidth bottleneck will depend on what you're doing. So same as rendering being bottlenecked either by triangle setup, or shader computing, or pixel drawing, you could be bottlenecked in RT by RAM access with hugely complex scenes, or in shader performance in shading a simple scene, or in the triangle intersect tests. Without knowing what the RT solution is, we can't really guess at anything. Well, I suppose we can present a load of different postulations but we'll have no idea what's actually going on. ;)

The only thing I think it safe to say is, given 7TF shading/compute power and 800 GB/s BW, the system is expecting lots of bandwidth to be used raytracing, so maybe we should start with considering what RT solution is going to favour BW over other solutions? Are KD-trees more BW hungry than BVH? Quickly Googling around, it seems so, which perhaps gives legitimacy (in the one rumour supporting another without any real proof!) to the idea of Sony using a KD-tree solution.

Last edited:
7TF isn't remotely credible though.

it’s possible as previous posters pointed out, it really depends on the level of RT support.

if you can offload your lighting, shadowing, and maybe other algorithms to whatever is doing the RT work, then you have a lot more room in that 7TF for new stufff.

7TF without some additional RT rendering resources is not enough.

it’s possible as previous posters pointed out, it really depends on the level of RT support.

if you can offload your lighting, shadowing, and maybe other algorithms to whatever is doing the RT work, then you have a lot more room in that 7TF for new stufff.

7TF without some additional RT rendering resources is not enough.

Is it possible to launch a system with 7TFLOPs throughput that is RT capable and runs games at 1440p for 4K display after reconstruction?
Yes, that's basically a 2060 Super.

Is 7TF a credible expectation for a console launching in late 2020?
No, not at all. That's less than AMD's current midrange, built on an older node than the one the consoles will adopt.

It is for a Nintendo home console.
This I'd find credible.
If they launched it in 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back