Next-Gen Product Names? [2019 Edition]

I hope MS learned this generation that you don't need to shape it like a box.
XMobiusStrip2
Xsphere2 (mobile version you can roll around like a soccerball)

I think the reception to the S is you very much want to shape it like a box, but let a leading design team do it and not some engineering team.

I think the reception to the S is you very much want to shape it like a box, but let a leading design team do it and not some engineering team.

Which is a shame as I still prefer the quieter original XBO design, just because it's quieter in operation. Since I never use optical disks anymore, when I did use it, it was blissfully quiet for the most part.

Regards,
SB

Which is a shame as I still prefer the quieter original XBO design, just because it's quieter in operation. Since I never use optical disks anymore, when I did use it, it was blissfully quiet for the most part.

Regards,
SB
I did not notice a sound difference when I went from day one edition to S and then to X although I can feel far more air being pushed by the X. Once it's a year old I will replace the thermal paste on it tho, as the stock paste seems sub par compared to the cooling hardware.

My launch console spent a week ore more with a laptop laying over the top blocking the vents to no I'll effect, quite amazing at keeping cool and quite.

I thought folks said the power supply was noisy on that model? Mine was buried under the AV cabinet so never noticed but I am sure it bugged some and not just because it existed although I suspect that was partly it.

I didn't state such (naming it simply Microsoft), not at all. I stated, Microsoft should consider renaming/rebranding the Xbox line. Dropping the Xbox name in favor of something more appealing towards a new generation.
It's a possibility, but an expensive one...

Of course if they rebranded xbox, it would not be just into MicrosoftBox™. It would be something completely new like Gameo or Spyree or Playdoopedy-doo or Interacto Thingie. They'd create a new brand.
Though I think XBox is not a great name for a mainstream brand, it's probably too late to drop it now, or, the brand is still popular enough to not be worth dropping. I consider anything non XBox very unlikely.
XBox is quite a strong brand, even if people don't buy it. Changing name means losing that association, and the only brand association left is Microsoft. Whatever they release, it'll be 'Microsoft Something'. People wondering what this new thing is will know at least that it's 'Microsoft' and that, IMHO, is not a good thing. ;) I think that introduces a barrier to acceptance. As 'XBox' is quite strong (well, not internationally per se, but it's known due to the last 25 years of game covering it, and like the hero in a sports movie that keeps getting back up, XBox has won respect even if it doesn't win anything), XBox Gameo launches with some street-cred where Microsoft Gameo doesn't.

I agree the XBox name could go, but it's hard to weigh up the cost of good will lost in the transition.

Yes, but I was being sarcastic :D
Everybody in this thread is making joke names, so why not join in?
Also think of the possibilities of having an Xsphere2, they could collaborate with EA's FIFA give it a soccer skin and let kids kick it around the soccer field. Just make sure to remind them to not trip over the 300ft extension cord.

Last edited:
Seem unlikely that they'd ditch the Xbox name, as it's still so edgy. If they wanted to go even more futuristic and edgy:

Anaconda: The Matrix
Lockhart: The Don Mattrick

FlexBox? Think about the advertising "Microsoft is flexing muscles with the power of the new gaming console!!"

Microsoft is double downing on Xbox & green. Good for them!

Too bad it's only in Australia. Maybe they can start a subscription service. ;)

microsoft_xbox_lynx_products.0.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/...-lynx-body-wash-axe-lifestyle-gaming-products

Tommy McClain

I thought folks said the power supply was noisy on that model? Mine was buried under the AV cabinet so never noticed but I am sure it bugged some and not just because it existed although I suspect that was partly it.

The quality control on the fan was a bit hit or miss IIRC. A friend of mine had one where either something was wrong with the bearings or the fan had a defect which unbalanced it in operation, but it made a god awful racket after about 3-4 weeks. He got it replaced under warranty and the second one was far better.

Mine and most of the few other friends I had that got one didn't have any such problems with ours. In the open it made a slight bit of noise, but behind our AV cabinets none of us could hear them.

Regards,
SB

Wierd dream last night. Dreamed MS had this big announcement for the next Xbox & called it Xbox Mach V. Go Speed Raycer X Go! LOL

Tommy McClain

Back