Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really curious about the SDK design! Hope we get to hear about that some day.
It obviously reminds me of this
9cecf2c9d35c9fe9022b5e0a76444814.gif

Major hint of PS5 to have Alien Covenant CGI level graphics?

Ok, now I can talk.

One of the two console will be composed by:
- single soc: on basic 7nm process at TSMC, not 7nm+ or 6nm
- cpu: 8 Zen2 core @2.2GH with SMT enabled, they will call them "custom", but it will just normal plumbing work to adapt the cache to the soc
- gpu: based on navi, hybrid between rdna and rdna2, @ about 7TF, frequency not finalized, hardware RT (no info if proprietary or amd's technology)
- memory: 24GB GDDR6 on a 384bit bus, bw not finalized, but expected at around 800GB/s
- ssd: 2TB soldered
- usb: 3.2 Gen. 2, type C, 1.5A
- size: comparable to actual xbox one x
- new very low power mode with less than 2 seconds from power button push to dashboard
- controller: current gen's evolutionary iteration, rechargeable with off the shelf cables

Source: Ass?

Ok, now I can talk.

- cpu: 8 Zen2 core @2.2GH with SMT enabled, they will call them "custom", but it will just normal plumbing work to adapt the cache to the soc
- gpu: based on navi, hybrid between rdna and rdna2, @ about 7TF, frequency not finalized, hardware RT (no info if proprietary or amd's technology)
- memory: 24GB GDDR6 on a 384bit bus, bw not finalized, but expected at around 800GB/s
- new very low power mode with less than 2 seconds from power button push to dashboard
- controller: current gen's evolutionary iteration, rechargeable with off the shelf cables

I hope for our sake you're low on the CPU clocks and GPU performance.

Ok, now I can talk.

Assuming this is true, that would mean they sacrificed more compute for RT. So they are betting heavily on RT. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Especially considering this is early in implementing RT into games and hardware. will the included RT still hold up in 2-3 years time? Or will it be anemic by then?

Good that it isn't just a small pool of SSD.

Regards,
SB

I love how randomly Sony just drops these nuggets.

I'm dying to see some next gen game play.

Not random, I'm off on my hols tomorrow and Sony needed to update me before I left.

Ok, now I can talk.

If true, this is Xbox...I put money on it.

Ok, now I can talk.

I don't know where are those specs coming from, but it's being rumored that they would spread false specs in order to catch the leakers or / and to spread false information.

Because 800 GB/s for 7 tflops is 100% fake. It's way way too much.

Assuming this is true, that would mean they sacrificed more compute for RT. So they are betting heavily on RT. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Especially considering this is early in implementing RT into games and hardware. will the included RT still hold up in 2-3 years time? Or will it be anemic by then?

Good that it isn't just a small pool of SSD.

Regards,
SB
not necessarily.
We have estimated earlier that the available power would be approximately 7TF with RT included. Just looking at the 2070 and the price points that we can work with.
The idea that we can hit Zen2, 24GB, SSD, 11-12 TF with RT is a pipedream at 399-499.
7TF makes it much more plausible and within a realm of reality.

If tis' actually the former, I would have a hard laugh at PC gamers forking over 699+ for a 2080.

Ok, now I can talk.

Yep, it totally isn't a coincidence that you dropped all these right after today's Sony news :LOL:. /s
So you're saying you're only able to disclose these info after Sony has formally confirmed their next gen console's name? Man...7 TF PS5 is real low :cry::cry:.
Also very strange as it kinda contradicts to Andrew Reiner's E3 tweet about how PS5 is supposedly to have more TFs than Scarlett. I can't imagine the new Xbox to be even lower than 7 TF. One would think Scarlett could easily curb stomp PS5's TF count left and right, unless this hybrid RDNA TF is even more efficient than RDNA1? So we could be effectively looking at 13-14 TF of GCN?? This is just crazy town now.

Last edited:
I thought that, but then I thought why mention the rechargeable controller...Sony (since PS3) has always been rechargeable.
hmm?
controller: current gen's evolutionary iteration, rechargeable with off the shelf cables

I wouldn't see how this would be an evolution of xbox's controllers since they haven't gone with rechargables.

Ok, now I can talk.

Why would you need 800 GB/sec for a 7TF GPU? That's almost 2X the BW for a slower GPU (in terms of TF) than the 5700XT. A low clocked CPU like that won't need hundreds of GB/sec either.

Yep, it totally isn't a coincidence that you dropped all these right after today's Sony news :LOL:. /s
So you're saying you're only able to disclose these info after Sony has formally confirmed their next gen console's name? Man...7 TF PS5 is real low :cry::cry:.
it's not. it really isn't.
If you believe in all of our tech coming together, it's more than sufficient.
You got your ray tracing which produces settings above ultra level
you got the reconstruction and checkerboarding
you got 7TF of a superior architecture
You have RT acceleration, 3x the memory and 4x the bandwidth
combined with SSD.

you have a really beefy system here.

RDR2 is 4K native on 6TF (much less efficient architecture) with 1/2 the memory and a 4x weaker cpu, no rapid packed math.

Just think about what 1/2 resolution reconstruction, Rapid packed Math, 2x the memory, 2.5x the bandwidth, 4x the CPU, with ray tracing could do.
There is a lot of power in this next machine when fully optimized.

Why would you need 800 GB/sec for a 7TF GPU? That's almost 2X the BW for a slower GPU (in terms of TF) than the 5700XT. A low clocked CPU like that won't need hundreds of GB/sec either.
because we don't understand how their RT system works. Perhaps to make RT intersection go faster, you need more bandwidth to traverse the acceleration structure in parallel or faster. RT speeds are bound by IIRC: intersection calculation time; updating the acceleration structure as a result of changes in the scene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back