Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really curious about the SDK design! Hope we get to hear about that some day.

So that SDK-design was real? Please tell me that the final HW is going to look like that, like the looks of it somehow. HW RT support was almost a given as MS already announced hw support for their console. Both probably use the same AMD hardware give or take clock speeds etc.

So DOUBLE CONFIRMED new specs/features:

- Ray-Tracing hardware
- 4K UHD drive
- Ability to partially install games (e.g. single player or multiplayer like we've had in the PC for a while)
- Seems to me that the dashboard will now be picture-in-picture over the games so people can e.g. look at online friends while waiting for a match to end.
- Force feedback triggers (probably like XBone's gamepad), or perhaps something beyond that because of the coil actuators mentioned.
- Evolved haptics/rumble, probably akin to Nintendo's HD rumble
- Improved speaker with haptics (maybe an evolution of the Dynamic Vibration system Sony's had in their smartphone flagships since the Xperia XZ2)
- Dualshock 5 will have USB-C (kind of predictable here) and larger battery.

Anything else?

I think this is also putting down the rumors about the PS5's controller coming with a screen.

The inclusion of a disc drive is nice atleast, some feared there would be none. Btw, bluepoint games only did/does remasters?

Last edited:
Nope, installing only the parts of the game that you want - only gonna play the multiplayer, install only that. Likely will be able to sub-divide the game further, like installing the levels progressively as you go, etc, so it will likely enable to do the same "instant play" the PS4 did.

I'm curious about something.

I remember watching Strippin play the latest Mortal Kombat on PS4 when it launched. He started up the game (which he installed the previous night), it said you could play now.

Then he went to try to play something other than training/story mode and he had to wait until the content downloaded. The estimated time was something like 2-4 hours.

I wonder if they've adjusted how things work so things like that don't happen. It sounds like they may have with being able to choose what gets installed first?

Regards,
SB

I'm curious about something.

I remember watching Strippin play the latest Mortal Kombat on PS4 when it launched. He started up the game (which he installed the previous night), it said you could play now.

Then he went to try to play something other than training/story mode and he had to wait until the content downloaded. The estimated time was something like 2-4 hours.

I wonder if they've adjusted how things work so things like that don't happen. It sounds like they may have with being able to choose what gets installed first?

Regards,
SB

The PS4 has been able to do that since day one.
Games have a "pre-install" phase that let you start playing the game some ~10min after the installation starts, and then the installation proceeds while you're already playing the game. This happens with both disc and digital downloads.

What Sony can't fix are horrible internet connections, which was probably the case with that example you gave.

The PS4 has been able to do that since day one.
Games have a "pre-install" phase that let you start playing the game some ~10min after the installation starts, and then the installation proceeds while you're already playing the game. This happens with both disc and digital downloads.

What Sony can't fix are horrible internet connections, which was probably the case with that example you gave.

But here it will install from savepoint. ;) You can reinstall a game faster.

EDIT: And I am lucky with a very fast internet connection fiber 600 Mbs symetrical. Some friend did not believe me of the speed of m connection with PSN

img_2027.jpg

Last edited:
But here it will install from savepoint. ;) You can reinstall a game faster.

EDIT: And I am lucky with a very fast internet connection fiber 600 Mbs symetrical.

Yes, and the SSD will also allow for lots of space-saving, since putting the HDD away means they won't have to repeat so much data do avoid being hostage to humongous search times.

In fact, it looks like even the PC games are already following this. Just look at the just-released recommended specs from Jedi: Fallen Order:

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 7 1700 or Equivalent
Processor (Intel): i7-6700K or Equivalent
Memory: 32 GB
Graphics card (AMD): RX Vega 56 or Equivalent
Graphics card (NVIDIA): GTX 1070 or Equivalent
DirectX: 11 Compatible video card or equivalent
Hard-drive space: 55 GB

55GB total install size (down from the 80-100GB we've been seeing on most AAA games of date).
Oh and 32GB of RAM. This means the game engine will be able to put half the game inside the RAM and make use of it! Will we see non-existant loading times on the PC sooner than later?

There is even talk about ML on the GPU?

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools"
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

He's a streamer and has high speed business internet with guaranteed bandwidth versus home internet where bandwidth isn't guaranteed.

So, his internet connection wasn't the problem. His PC games install from scratch faster than it was taking to download whatever was needed for MK11 despite him starting the install the previous night. I think the PS4 servers were getting hammered due to the launch.

But regardless, it was disingenuous to say he could start playing now (instant play) when it was quite obvious that he couldn't.

He's also not the only high profile streamer that has had problems like that with PS4's instant play.

Which means that instant play as it currently is on PS4 prioritizes installations starting with tutorials and then the beginning of single player (things he wasn't interested in with MK11). What I quoted from Chris's post indicates that they may allow you to choose what part of the game gets installed first so that this maybe won't be a problem on PS5.

Regards,
SB

Oh and 32GB of RAM. This means the game engine will be able to put half the game inside the RAM and make use of it! Will we see non-existant loading times on the PC sooner than later?

Could this be the PC version of the next gens console SSD streaming tech? 32GB of main ram is going to be brutally fast though, can imagine it will be faster then a SSD solution. Partially installing games has been avaible on Origin i think, long time ago but i could install Apex Legends partially and start playing after 30%, or something.

32GB ram quite much for main ram, then about 16GB hbm or gddr for the GPU. Consoles will raise the pc specs bar for sure.

https://wccftech.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-pc-system-requirements/

Funny enough, Jedi Fallen Order recommends 32GB of RAM for high-end systems.

Looking at those specs, I'd have to agree with PSman1700, it looks like that may be their attempt to replicate the SSD storage speeds in the next gen consoles or at least to make sure that the storage subsystem on PC isn't limiting how they stream assets or load levels.

GTX 1070 or Vega 56 as the recommended high end GPU? They certainly aren't pushing the graphics envelope with this. So, yeah, that memory is likely there purely to assist with level loads/streaming and very little to do with what the game actually needs for the game itself.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how well they can mask storage system overhead while it attempts to fill that much RAM while you are playing the game. I expect some people are going to have a lot of hitching while playing until the RAM is filled.

Regards,
SB

1070 or Vega 56 could be baseline next gen performance though, perhaps lower settings then that or something. Perhaps it will be recommended to as a medium gpu by next year who knows. Finally specs are going to increase thanks to a new gen though.

Well, the recommendation seems to be simply for a RAM cache. All that's saying to me is the tech's being included in games now that if you have the RAM, it'll cache more and reduce in-game loading times and improve 'streaming'.

There is even talk about ML on the GPU?
You can do ML on compute. Depends what type of ML they're talking about and how efficient, without pointing to Tensor-cores or somesuch.

You can do ML on compute. Depends what type of ML they're talking about and how efficient, without pointing to Tensor-cores or somesuch.
Yeah, I know that, anything can be done on compute, the important thing here: next gen consoles seem to be leveraging ML to do certain things more efficiently. This ties in nicely with Microsoft's initiative to put ML into DX12 (DirectML).

Ok, now I can talk.

One of the two console will be composed by:
- single soc: on basic 7nm process at TSMC, not 7nm+ or 6nm
- cpu: 8 Zen2 core @2.2GH with SMT enabled, they will call them "custom", but it will just normal plumbing work to adapt the cache to the soc
- gpu: based on navi, hybrid between rdna and rdna2, @ about 7TF, frequency not finalized, hardware RT (no info if proprietary or amd's technology)
- memory: 24GB GDDR6 on a 384bit bus, bw not finalized, but expected at around 800GB/s
- ssd: 2TB soldered
- usb: 3.2 Gen. 2, type C, 1.5A
- size: comparable to actual xbox one x
- new very low power mode with less than 2 seconds from power button push to dashboard
- controller: current gen's evolutionary iteration, rechargeable with off the shelf cables

gpu: based on navi, hybrid between rdna and rdna2, @ about 7TF, frequency not finalized, hardware RT (no info if proprietary or amd's technology)
let it be true. I need a win on these prediction threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back