Surface phone 2020 : Enter the Duo

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Microsoft had an event on the 2nd

They introduced a new phone the duo

This is extremely interesting to me. Its a folding phone but not a folding screen. It also runs andriod. The functionality they did show seems like it could be a win

Interesting, indeed.

I would advise not to hold the phone as in the video's thumbnail, though. :rolleyes:

I honestly think this format is a bit dumb for a smartphone.
You want to be able to look at notifications instantly, either by touching the screen or picking up the device.
Having to unfold the device to access the content means people will lose too much time on that action, and this is something they do hundreds of times a day.

So the result is probably people keeping it folded with the screens out all the time, except when they have to (e.g. when taking pictures).
And from there you'll ask why would want it to unfold at all? Dual-screen on smartphone sized displays doesn't seem super practical at all.

You want to be able to look at notifications instantly, either by touching the screen or picking up the device.
Having to unfold the device to access the content means people will lose too much time on that action, and this is something they do hundreds of times a day.

So the result is probably people keeping it folded with the screens out all the time, except when they have to (e.g. when taking pictures).
And from there you'll ask why would want it to unfold at all? Dual-screen on smartphone sized displays doesn't seem super practical at all.

Folded (with screen outside) all the time for "style", and unfolded when gaming, working, etc.

Folded (with screen outside) all the time for "style", and unfolded when gaming, working, etc.
Sounds like a recipe for cracked screens.

Tbh, I’m wondering how dusty the hinges will be after a while.

The design does not seem to lend to additional case protection as well.

My first thought was that it makes for a neat Surface “Book Mini” rather than a phone.

My flow with that duo would simply be that I get a message and I alerted on my garmin watch , I can see information about the alert and decided to dismiss it or pull out my phone. In the future perhaps it would just pop into view in my HoloLens or ar glasses ?

Sounds like a recipe for cracked screens.

Tbh, I’m wondering how dusty the hinges will be after a while.

The design does not seem to lend to additional case protection as well.

My first thought was that it makes for a neat Surface “Book Mini” rather than a phone.
hinges should be fine, likely and extension of the muscle wire tech they already use in surface.

as for cracked screens, well all smartphones are screens out at all times, so I don't expect there to be a difference in that regard.

Case will be challenging though. That's something they need to sort out soon.

hinges should be fine, likely and extension of the muscle wire tech they already use in surface.

as for cracked screens, well all smartphones are screens out at all times, so I don't expect there to be a difference in that regard.

Case will be challenging though. That's something they need to sort out soon.
Glass on glass could be an issue.

I am sure a soft case will be easy enough, but I do wonder what an otterbox would look like.

Glass on glass could be an issue.

I am sure a soft case will be easy enough, but I do wonder what an otterbox would look like.
right didn't even think of that. hard surface rubbing up against hard surface, may not lead to cracks but realize a lot of scratching instead.

hmmm they made it fold the wrong way
did anyone at MS not notice this?
It folds 360. So I think they know that they expect people to keep it glass out. But when you want privacy from your phone like sleeping beside it; you don’t want the screen to light up. Keeping closed makes sense.

There's a thin metal frame around both glass panels. I'm assuming that the glass is ever so slightly indented so that it's only ever metal on metal when folded with the glass panels facing each other.

Regards,
SB
That might be fine most of the time, but unless it's made of unobtanium that metal is going to flex under pressure (pocket). There's also the probability of debris contaminating the inside of the clamshell.

I have Sony Vaio tap 11. When closed, the hard screen surface directly touch the hard plastic / magnesium / whatever keyboard.

After 5 years of abuse : almost zero deep scratches, tons of thin scratches that are practically invisible when the screen is on.

Its not a gorila glass, as it can be scratched with a knife.

It folds 360. So I think they know that they expect people to keep it glass out. But when you want privacy from your phone like sleeping beside it; you don’t want the screen to light up. Keeping closed makes sense.
OK, I should of watched the video, yes youre correct, much better. Defnitly more interested now.

After watching the video that's actually really interesting for productivity, looks great for work purposes.

In what scenario do you need productivity on a phone?
One that wouldn't allow at least a tablet, nevermind a 2-in-1 like Surface Pro.

Back