Nintendo Switch possible game ports? [NX] *spawn*

DRAGON QUEST XI AND NI NO KUNI MAKE THE SWITCH AN EVEN BETTER JRPG SYSTEM
Sep 27, 2019
For the past couple of weeks, my Switch has been pretty much nothing but a Japanese role-playing game machine. (Okay, and a goose game machine.) The system’s JRPG library just keeps growing, and following the overdue return of Final Fantasy VIII, we have two more releases — and they’re some of the best yet.

First, there’s Dragon Quest XI, which comes out today. It was the first game announced for the Switch — before anyone even knew what the Switch was. Square Enix showed off two separate versions back in 2015: a beautiful PS4 game with an expansive 3D world and a 3DS game with much simpler 3D graphics that could also be played in 16-bit 2D. A “Nintendo NX” version was also confirmed, but no one knew whether it’d be closer to the PS4 or 3DS iterations.

Here we are more than four years later: the NX is now the Switch, and Dragon Quest XI is indeed on it. It’s also by far the best version of the game.

At this point, I’ve played a lot of Dragon Quest XI across various hardware. I played the 3DS version when it came out in Japan (it was never released elsewhere), then I played the excellent PC version when it first came out in English; it’s basically the PS4 game with better graphics and performance. I thought that would cover all my bases. But the Switch port is like an elaborate Blu-ray box set, combining the best of all prior versions and adding great new features.
The other JRPG I’ve been playing is Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which Level-5 first put out on the PS3 in 2011 and was released for the Switch last week. (In a possibly unique parallel with Dragon Quest XI, Ni no Kuni also had a less extravagant DS version that never left Japan.) It’s best known for being the result of a collaboration with the legendary anime house Studio Ghibli, which produced art and animated cutscenes for the game.

It’s consistently gorgeous, and it feels authentic to Studio Ghibli’s prior work, with a ton of heart and inventiveness in its storytelling. Just like Dragon Quest XI, it’s worth playing through just to see what inspired creation might be around the corner.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/27/20886886/dragon-quest-11-ni-no-kuni-nintendo-switch-jrpg-review

The port of Ori and the Blind Forest is excellent as well. (Ori was a current gen title, right? Sure, it's mostly 2D. But boy, is it astonishing 2D)
Downloaded the demo and loved the opening. It's not my kind of game but based on the 30 mins I played, it's technically a great experience.

Do not buy ni no kuni. Reports on reddit says that it have tons of bugs, including annoying ones like out of sync Chara voice.

Downloaded the demo and loved the opening. It's not my kind of game but based on the 30 mins I played, it's technically a great experience.

I didn't like the first 30 mins of Ori, almost abandoned the game even. I wasn't buying the cliche generic plot, nor it's overdone melodramatic delivery. I hated the inconsequential combat. I hated the barrage of game haulting tutorial text boxes, and how over explained every mechanic was. And all those things honestly still do suck. But they are over after those early 30-60 mins. And what follows was the best metroidvania I've played on the past 10 years. It just has great gameplay and design all the way through. It's worth it it give the game a bit more time.

Yeah, also if you can make it through the Ginso Tree level you'll absolutely love it to the end. I'm so glad I stuck with it. One of my favorite games in years.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, also if you can make it through the Ginso Tree level you'll absolutely love it to the end. I'm so glad I stuck with it. One of my favorite games in years.

Tommy McClain

Yup. That is when the game starts to shine. Your character has aquired enough moves to allow you to play more fluidly and creatively by then, the level design gets super tight and rewarding from that point on, and oh the fucking upgrade you get in that level... It completely reshapes how you play the game in that and all other areas before/after. It's a hell of a surprise. It might be one of the most game changing metrovania upgrades in the hisyory of metroidvanias. If nothing else, one needs to stick with Ori untill he gets that one upgrade.

The Ghostbusters port is very nice as well. Nothing fancy, though. Basically a higher res 360 version with really solid performance. It was ported over by the same team that did the Diablo3 and Skyrim ports, so I wasn't particularly worried. Still a real treat for fans of the franchise. Can't believe this game is now 10 years old, btw. Where did that time go?

Switcher 3 turned out much better than I expected. Playing it in handheld mode is quite something. Far and away the most impressive current gen port so far. I think the likes of Doom, Wolfenstein and, albeit to a lesser extent, Mortal Kombat, were all compromised beyond a point I'd consider acceptible during the porting process. Not the case with The Witcher 3. Not at all actually. I wouldn't wanna play it in docked mode, but in handheld mode it looks fantastic. Even the resolution holds up fairly well. It's a little soft, but really not that bad.

Switcher 3 turned out much better than I expected. Playing it in handheld mode is quite something. Far and away the most impressive current gen port so far. I think the likes of Doom, Wolfenstein and, albeit to a lesser extent, Mortal Kombat, were all compromised beyond a point I'd consider acceptible during the porting process. Not the case with The Witcher 3. Not at all actually. I wouldn't wanna play it in docked mode, but in handheld mode it looks fantastic. Even the resolution holds up fairly well. It's a little soft, but really not that bad.

Yeah, that was my impression as well after trying it at Gamescom. I was very impressed.

I wish they add graphics option to the switch version, something like PS4 PRO games usually have (low IQ high perf, Mid, higb IQ low perf).

Because someone already able to make a mod thst changes the game config (yes the graphic config "ini" file is there in the game data and partly in the save data) and it allows 60 fps.

Personally I'll prefer to run it on 900p30 or something.

Dunno how good or bad the 60fps mod in various gameplay tho. As I hadn't get my hand in switcher 3.

Still busy with somnium files hahaha

You might be able to oc the CPU to a point where the extra oomph could smooth out some of the bottlenecks like in the city of Novigrad. I doubt a consistent 60fps are in the cards no matter how much you tinker, though. At least if you want a Witcher game that still looks like one.

I didn't like the first 30 mins of Ori, almost abandoned the game even. I wasn't buying the cliche generic plot, nor it's overdone melodramatic delivery.

I actually really liked the opening of the game.

Just quoting myself from the what-are-you-playing thread:

"Alien Isolation on the Switch. AKA greatest port of a (sort of) current gen game for the system. Maybe the devs did axe a couple of tiny details, but I certainly couldn't tell. From models to textures to shadows to lighting (including the gorgeous, dynamically lit particle effects and the volumetrics) - it's all there, looking basically identical to what's on the PS4. Framerate is rock solid in both docked and handheld play. Resolution (according to the devs) is 1080p/720p. Maybe there's some dynamic res stuff going on, though. No idea about that. Sound is punchy and gutteral as well. I didn't notice any compression there either.
Here's the amazing part: It actually looks better than the console versions if you can believe it. AI has always had problems with anti aliasing: I'm assuming there was no temporal component to the original AA solution which meant loads of flickering from the many, many specular highlights. You can only get rid of it on PC via an unofficial mod as far as I know. Well, there's no flickering on the Switch version. AI looks remarkably clean in stills and IQ remains perfectly stable in motion. It's a tad bit softer looking. Reminds me of UE4's AA."

"Alien Isolation on the Switch. AKA greatest port of a (sort of) current gen game for the system. Maybe the devs did axe a couple of tiny details, but I certainly couldn't tell. From models to textures to shadows to lighting (including the gorgeous, dynamically lit particle effects and the volumetrics) - it's all there, looking basically identical to what's on the PS4. Framerate is rock solid in both docked and handheld play. Resolution (according to the devs) is 1080p/720p. Maybe there's some dynamic res stuff going on, though. No idea about that. Sound is punchy and gutteral as well. I didn't notice any compression there either.
Here's the amazing part: It actually looks better than the console versions if you can believe it. AI has always had problems with anti aliasing: I'm assuming there was no temporal component to the original AA solution which meant loads of flickering from the many, many specular highlights. You can only get rid of it on PC via an unofficial mod as far as I know. Well, there's no flickering on the Switch version. AI looks remarkably clean in stills and IQ remains perfectly stable in motion. It's a tad bit softer looking. Reminds me of UE4's AA."

Technically its a cross generational game because it was on the 360/PS3, but the Switch build is definitely based on the PS4/X1 version. It is an impressive port for sure. There is a number of very capable porting houses for Switch these days. It started with Panic Button, they have done great work, but quite a few other studios have proven to be very capable with porting to Switch. Feral Interactive may even hold the crown after great results with both Alien Isolation and Grid Autosport.

360/PS3 conversions to Switch are still the most viable when it comes to excellent results. Spruced up 306/PS3 games often times look excellent on both the portable screen and the home television thanks to the increased resolution. There are still plenty of fantastic 360/PS3 games that havent been ported to Switch but could be. Where are those Batman Arkam games? Vanquish? Mass Effect Trilogy? COD Modern Warfare Trilogy? There is so much low hanging fruit for publishers to take advantage of on Switch. Switch is currently the hot console, and will be for at least one more year. That means a very sizable userbase of Switch gamers to sell to. If publishers dont take advantage of porting over legacy software, shame on them for missing out on easy dollars.

I don't get the reverence people have for Panic Button. Granted, games like Doom or Wolfenstein are quite certainly more technically demanding to port than Alien Isolation, but the Switch ports simply look and perform so terrible that I wouldn't consider them anything more than curiosities. The Witcher 3 on the other hand? - much more impressive results. Despite not having the luxury of, on top of all the other concessions necessary, halfing the framerate, the Witcher 3 on Switch retains most details and even manages to stick to a moderately high rendering resolution most of the time.

I don't get the reverence people have for Panic Button.

Some of it comes from people being impressed with their conversions, and that they were the first to tackle the challenge. I have played a ton of Panic Button ports on my Switch, and have always felt like they were fantastic conversions. I do not rule out that ID Tech 6 scalability might be just as responsible for the quality of the conversions, and not simply down to Panic Button being coding geniuses. The Witcher 3 is the most ambitious port, hands down, but I am still impressed with what Panic Button has done. Playing Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and Young Bloods has been a great experience on Switch.

"AI has always had problems with anti aliasing: I'm assuming there was no temporal component to the original AA solution which meant loads of flickering from the many, many specular highlights. You can only get rid of it on PC via an unofficial mod as far as I know. Well, there's no flickering on the Switch version. AI looks remarkably clean in stills and IQ remains perfectly stable in motion. It's a tad bit softer looking. Reminds me of UE4's AA."
I think there's something wrong with the PC version's SMAA T2X option. The Alias Isolation mod hacks its way into the motion blur / SMAA T1X functionality. It would have been nice if Sega / Creative Assembly had fixed up T2X and the stuttering cutscene videos.

Last edited:
was buying food at the mini market near my home and there in the bargain bin was standing a last box of a nintendo switch lite for 137€ instead of 196€, i absolutely was not interested in the switch and don't need it, so i bought it. I have no games yet but tried some demos, it is a really nice little device, games on the portable screen look beautiful. I might buy the tourist soon.

Last edited:
Back