GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
appears to be running well ..
Not quite yet, i would say. Gameplay would mean building, but the lag when removing blocks is unacceptable.
I've seen this here https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rayt...om-2019-CoD-Modern-Warfare-Minecraft-1327262/, bottom page, "Best of RTX" video, at 6:40 where they remove disco blocks. It takes multiple seconds to recover.
However, i guess they'll fix that. An angled wall that comes into sight has no such issues but no previous information too.

But overall it looks worse to me than the SEUS mod to me. My guess is they use single bounce path tracing, while Sonic Ether uses infinite bounces by caching.
Big difference. They should have hired him :)
(Could be wrong - would need to see side by side comparison)

Hmmm, although in this video the lag is acceptable, i'm still not convinced about the bounces.
At 28:12 they show something that looks like stable vertex lighting (no noise), and this looks like cached indirect diffuse. But could also be just direct lighting looking blurry, maybe to help with denoising? Not sure, but this indicates i'm wrong.
There is also the explantation 'one bounce is path traced, and further bounces are accumulated over time', which is correct for how radiosity method works, but not possible with the original path tracing algorithm (accumulating samples does not add bounces, only longer paths would). Unfortunately 'path tracing' became a marketing buzz word so this is no clarification.
I'd still like to see a comparision. It could be all the other additional effects (although impressve) decrease the percepted realism for me personally - the mod looks real but here i miss something.

There is a lot wrong with this demo.
Firstly, it's another case of a disengenuous "RTX OFF" exemple. Standard minecraft mas had a soft lighting mode with smooth transitions beteween light levels and voxel based AO for years now.

Standard minecraft has always had emissive blocks too, but in this demo, when in RTX OFF mode, caves are 100% dark (with a flat ambient term).

Also, I think this new lighting, while visually striking, is not servicing the gameplay. Besides the many moments where the player visually mistook mirrors for open space and other funny odities of this type, I think it misrepresents the underlying systemic lighting system that affects gameplay. I am not sure of this one entirely, but if I'm not mistaken, areas shadowed by the sun respond differently to sun recieving ones when you are planting and performing other actions. To not have to worry about the path the sun makes across the sky, the game simplifies the shadowing into perfectly vertical occlusion.

And it also is not "physically correct" in that this "sun shadow" depends on the distance from the occluder. It doesn't create the most visually interesting shadows, but it is an easy to understand ruleset for gameplay. These mods that create realistic long sun shadows that move across the landscape throughout the game ignore the actual gameplay.
Finally, the diffuse GI seems very subdued and flatish in this interation.

They have competent volumetric atmospheric scatering, mirror and rough soecular reflections and shadowed area lightsources, but the actual diffuse GI (which I think is the most important one in typical MC environments) is quite lacking.

It's no wonder they created a whole bunch of new colored emissive blocks for this demo, and also had to artificially gimp the representation of the "standard" graphics path. An actual organic scene as typically seen in minecraft does not actually show that much improvement.

From the perspective of game design, this is a great sin. They are changing a game to service an outside tech, instead of creating the tech to service the gameplay.

Last edited:
Control has some quite impressive FX and very nice looking reflections. (Cannot wait to hear more about the global reflection they use, it seems to have some parallax and perhaps occlusion as well.)
Did some run around and with 2070 it's feasible to play the early game with all RTX FX on and 1440p monitor DLSS on higher resolution setting.

The sense of space additional reflections from glass and other smooth surfaces is very nice, also the improvement to GI does give more solid appearance for objects.

@Dictator great master class here, extremely thorough and should help people understand/appreciate where their frames are going. I think this level of quality of content is worth subscribing to DF patreon for.
Agreed.
I was disappointed that he didn't mention RT muzzle flash shadows and explosion/fire shadows, which are completely absent without RT.

@Dictator great master class here, extremely thorough and should help people understand/appreciate where their frames are going. I think this level of quality of content is worth subscribing to DF patreon for.

edit: and I'm now a Patron!
Thanks Iroboto! I put a lot of work into the video and I am always unsure what I am doing right or wrong - so thanks!
Agreed.
I was disappointed that he didn't mention RT muzzle flash shadows and explosion/fire shadows, which are completely absent without RT.
Ah - ten million things to talk about and I miss one :( SOrry!

Muzzle flash shadows are kinda my thing...

According to IGN, RTX is coming to Flight Simulator.

Oh great, skies full of discoballs incoming :rolleyes:
Seriously though, of course it's possible. However, considering the scope of the game, I wonder what could they do with RT without tanking the performance? Reflections on the cockpit windows maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back