Nvidia Post-Volta (Ampere?) Rumor and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turing is effectively a Volta Successor. So Ampere is naturally a Turing Successor.

Turing is a derivative of Volta, specifically made for gaming.

With Ampere, we don't know yet whether it's only a Volta successor, or an architecture suited for HPC, AI and gaming combined.

Also worth noting is that at least Samsung has stated that they're starting NVIDIA 7nm production in 2020, would be quite tight fit to launch in H1, no matter what the name is

Also worth noting is that at least Samsung has stated that they're starting NVIDIA 7nm production in 2020, would be quite tight fit to launch in H1, no matter what the name is
Agreed. Similar to how we saw GDDR5Xproduction starting in Q1 2016 with Pascal releasing mid Q2 in very limited quantities, I doubt it'll be any different for nvidia's GPUs made on Samsung's 7nm EUV.

I disagree, Turing is an evolution of Volta, it improved on it in Tensor functionality and compute (separate FP32, INT32).
The separate int/fp units are there in volta as well.
There is very little difference between turing and volta as far as the compute cores are concerned. The tensor functionality improvement is more of a tweak. Although there's more changes on the 3d graphics side. Calling it an evolution though seems justified to me though.

The separate int/fp units are there in volta as well.
There is very little difference between turing and volta as far as the compute cores are concerned. The tensor functionality improvement is more of a tweak. Although there's more changes on the 3d graphics side. Calling it an evolution though seems justified to me though.

What changes on the 3d graphics side? I thought the only changes were the RT cores and the slight tensor tweaks.

What changes on the 3d graphics side? I thought the only changes were the RT cores and the slight tensor tweaks.
Variable rate shading comes to mind, as well as task/mesh shaders.
There's a bunch of other (smaller) gl/vulkan extensions listed for turing too.

Variable rate shading comes to mind, as well as task/mesh shaders.
There's a bunch of other (smaller) gl/vulkan extensions listed for turing too.

I thought these were also possible on Volta, just no reason for implementation.

Good timing, given Sammy going wide and fat with HBM2: 12 layer TSV

That's guaranteed to be for high end corporate customers.

Ampere, assumedly being for games, will probably go more down the road of 1660/5 ti. Which is to say stripping out AI/corporate sim silicon in order to charge lower prices. As a guess I'd say tensor cores will just be removed completely, and fp16 will find its way into normal compute units like AMD has done. "DLSS" might just be dropped quietly alongside it.

That being said is there any confirmation Ampere is actually for gaming, and not another corporate only release like Volta? Nvidia might wait until holidays next year to release any consumer focused cards, as I'd expect their corporate stuff has both plenty of demand and much higher profit margins.

That's guaranteed to be for high end corporate customers.

Ampere, assumedly being for games, will probably go more down the road of 1660/5 ti. Which is to say stripping out AI/corporate sim silicon in order to charge lower prices increase margins. As a guess I'd say tensor cores will just be removed completely, and fp16 will find its way into normal compute units like AMD has done. "DLSS" might just be dropped quietly alongside it.

That being said is there any confirmation Ampere is actually for gaming, and not another corporate only release like Volta? Nvidia might wait until holidays next year to release any consumer focused cards, as I'd expect their corporate stuff has both plenty of demand and much higher profit margins.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Last edited:
As a guess I'd say tensor cores will just be removed completely, and fp16 will find its way into normal compute units like AMD has done. "DLSS" might just be dropped quietly alongside it.
DLSS is and always has been dumb as hell, but tensor cores can potentially be quite useful for consumers in general....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back