Nvidia Post-Volta (Ampere?) Rumor and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 2020 Holiday season...? 'ish….

Earlier, 1 year from Tapeout till Sale is normal. As probably the big HPC chip taped out first, add 3 months to it, so May-June for HPC Ampere.
But the smaller chips coming after shouldn't need more than 1 year and will probably get released in a similar timeframe.

Just to point out that they didn't actually confirm wether all of their 7nm will come from Samsung or just some, they've used Samsung before too at least for GP107

Just to point out that they didn't actually confirm wether all of their 7nm will come from Samsung or just some, they've used Samsung before too at least for GP107
I think the GP108 (used in the very popular MX150) is also made on Samsung.

In the meanwhile, I've been seeing reports saying that TSMC's vanilla 7nm have just gotten a "free" 10% performance upgrade, and that process' yields have jumped significantly.
If 7nm DUV became so good, it makes me wonder what's the point with 7nm+ and 6nm.

I think the GP108 (used in the very popular MX150) is also made on Samsung.
Yep
In the meanwhile, I've been seeing reports saying that TSMC's vanilla 7nm have just gotten a "free" 10% performance upgrade, and that process' yields have jumped significantly.
If 7nm DUV became so good, it makes me wonder what's the point with 7nm+ and 6nm.
or is that "free 10 performance upgrade" really the '6nm'?

or is that "free 10 performance upgrade" really the '6nm'?
It's TSMC's 2nd gen 7nm.

I got it wrong though, it's reportedly over 5% and not 10%.

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2408...ls-2nd-gen-7nm-and-the-snapdragon-855-dtco/2/

TSMC also developed a 2nd generation of their 7nm process. This is an optimized process which uses the same design rules and DUV and is unrelated to 7nm+ which is EUV-based. This process is entirely design-compatible with the first generation but enjoys additional power and performance enhancements. For their second generation process, TSMC made some additional optimizations.

• Fin profile Optimizations
  • Epi Optimizations
  • MOL resistance Optimizations
  • FEOL capacitance
  • Metal gate Optimizations
All in all, the 2nd-generation 7nm process is said to deliver over 5% improvement in performance. Additionally, at the same leakage, at high frequencies, the second-generation 7nm process has improved the Vmin by 50 mV. Qualcomm has stated that the second-generation 7-nanometer node will be used for their next-generation cellular 5G modem which will deliver 2x peak data rate over their first-generation 5G modem.

5d5uws3.png

Still the difference to 6nm will now be smaller and 7nm DUV yields are said to be really high, on the level of 16FF+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever wrote the tweet didn't author the graphs nor TSMC's claims.

Do we even know if Ampere is a successor to Volta or Turing? I don’t think NVIDIA has ever indicated.

I hope it’s for consumer and not enterprise. I hope they at least double RTX performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back