Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

I see what you mean. I think the difference is that in the infected zombie pandemic scenario the carriers of the disease are aggressive and proactive in spreading the disease, compared to a more "normal" disease where the infected simply convaless. It's a system that would burn itself out like an algae bloom, for sure.

I see. Ya, Day Gone infected are just like crazy people. They don't bite and spread the infection. I think all the survivors are just immune and everyone else was infected. The scientist all wear hazmat suits, so I assume they are not immune. But realistically if 90% of the population was infected and they still need food to produce energy, then they would starve unless they found some food source. They do actively hunt the wildlife, but that doesn't seem sustainable.

This is not true. In the game the freakers eat and will go to water sources to drink. One of the main reasons the devs were resistant to the zombie label was because their infected acted like living animals and were not just walking corpses.

Yup. And what they ate was part of a series of story missions.

Have you played the game? They do eat, the game describes how they found berries and stuff in their stomachs. They basically eat most anything they find.

That in itself is unrealistic and unsustainable for the number of zombies that were present in the game. The rather animalistic nature of the zombies meant that they weren't cultivating which makes them similar to hunter gatherer societies. Since this relies only on what grows naturally, large numbers can't be sustained in any given area.

If the setting in Days Gone bore any semblance to reality things would have happened as Shifty suggested. Hole up for a few weeks and months and the vast majority of infected would be dead and consumed by other infected.

Obviously realistic portrayals of what would happen if something like this occurred isn't high up on the list. It is a game after all. And where reality would support a small number of infected in any given area, that isn't exactly very threatening in game terms. :)

Regards,
SB

Obviously realistic portrayals of what would happen if something like this occurred isn't high up on the list. It is a game after all. And where reality would support a small number of infected in any given area, that isn't exactly very threatening in game terms. :)
Yeah, for entertainment purposes we turn a blind eye to a lot of boring realities. The ability to carry hundreds of kilos of inventory in zero volume without creating a black-hole is a mainstay of RPGs. ;) But for people who take this stuff seriously like those who think preparing for a zombie apocalypse is important, they need to stop looking at the entertainment industry for a source of things to worry about and plan for. You shouldn't be building an underground bunker full of guns just in case giant alien worm-things attack.

That in itself is unrealistic and unsustainable for the number of zombies that were present in the game. The rather animalistic nature of the zombies meant that they weren't cultivating which makes them similar to hunter gatherer societies. Since this relies only on what grows naturally, large numbers can't be sustained in any given area.

Hence the mass migrations. They move around looking for new sources of food. They outnumber humans but their population isn't anywhere near that of pre-outbreak civilization.

Yeah, and the game at no point implies the current living population of Freakers is anything close to the pre-breakout Human population.

Hence the mass migrations. They move around looking for new sources of food. They outnumber humans but their population isn't anywhere near that of pre-outbreak civilization.

Sure, but they'd have to migrate through pretty quickly without lingering to not strip the land of all resources. Considering there's a constant stream of infected, there's no way that is sustainable even with them moving around. After the first group moves through there would be nothing left for subsequent groups, at least with the frequency that swarms move through the game world.

And that doesn't even take into account the indigenous infected that aren't migrating.

But again it IS a game. And at least they try to give context to what is happening to make it slightly more believable rather than something like The Walking Dead.

Regards,
SB

Sure, but they'd have to migrate through pretty quickly without lingering to not strip the land of all resources. Considering there's a constant stream of infected, there's no way that is sustainable even with them moving around. After the first group moves through there would be nothing left for subsequent groups, at least with the frequency that swarms move through the game world.

Don't forget that freakers are cannibals.The eat their own kind and there is still a fair amount of wildlife and humans to hunt or for humans or wildlife to kill other freakers which then become a source of food, along with the other food sources explained in game. They don't seem to need a lot food to sustain themselves because like most predators, they conserve their energy except for hunting. Some of this is told in main story missions, other tidbits you can discover through collectibles or just exploring. Maybe you missed some stuff on your play through.

Just started the game, after finishing Judgment. Nice intro, I tuned the hdr, some options... First scene, bike gameplay, controls feels like sh*t, "Is this wipeout ?", power off the console after crashing in a tree.

Don't drive so fast. You can't just hold the gas down all the way and expect to remain in control. Don't worry, though. You lose your good bike really soon and the one you're stuck with will be much slower and easier to control.

My personal top3 for 2019.
Great graphics and one of the best gameplay and open world mechanics out there. It is so damn satisfying to fight those hordes.
There are some things about storytelling that could be improved, but ending (the real one) was great and I can't wait for the sequel

The start is pretty slow, the story takes a while to get going - it's probably 8+ hours - you'll know it when you hit the third community.

Days Gone is a game that was desperately in need of some ruthless editing of many of its missions. I reckon a third could have been cut and it would have been a much better game for it.

This is so true!

I just re-started this (finally found some time) and I have to say time flies when I'm playing this game. I've opened up the 3rd camp now and things are picking up...problem is I don't get much free time, but at least I got a good run at the start (it too a while to 'click').

The game is what I'd call 'uneven' - as pointed out, some bits are great (some amazing graphics), but others not so much (clipping and other fudgley sights). Also, the whole refueling is a bit of a pain, I get why it's done - but really, it's like I have a hole in the tank...and also, respawning loot and copious amounts of fuel detract a little (though I like that once you 'pop' a boot/bonnet that seems to remain opened).

Overall a great game and getting better as time goes on. I always find these games a little confusing, things like which missions I should or need to do and likewise what the best order up level up...but I think I'm getting there now.

I can see that a sequel would probably make for a better 'living world' - this lacks life, I really liked that aspect of HZD - this just seems to have wolves and bears...but the way everything interacts is great and I can see that being improved on PS5.

I didn't mind the occasional technical issue but some of the choices about blending gameplay and what I'll describe as more cinematic elements did introduce some awkward pacing due to loading. Perhaps that'll evaporate when playing on PS5 - I really hope Days Gone does gets some form of performance enhancement on the next console. I really enjoyed the game world, most of the characters and most of the missions that I played but it was just too drawn out for me to complete it before I moved on to something else.

Back