The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DF finally has their say on the preview gameplay. Basically they mentioned the snow level reminded them of RDR2's but with much more detail "the detail level here is ridiculously high", also the indirect lighting is next level and the animation quality is on par with the E3 trailer. The game runs at 1440p again but the IQ is superb, motion blur is also improved with higher samples. Just like I've been saying it all along, this type of game simply can afford to render that much more detail than an open world game like RDR2 yet some folks pretend that didn't happen. It's pretty obvious to see it anyway.

DF finally has their say on the preview gameplay. Basically they mentioned the snow level reminded them of RDR2's but with much more detail "the detail level here is ridiculously high", also the indirect lighting is next level and the animation quality is on par with the E3 trailer. The game runs at 1440p again but the IQ is superb, motion blur is also improved with higher samples. Just like I've been saying it all along, this type of game simply can afford to render that much more detail than an open world game like RDR2 yet some folks pretend that didn't happen. It's pretty obvious to see it anyway.
Marketing has the game at 1440p.
@Dictator is saying they counted well below 1440p for 4Pro (edit: for the official screenshots). I'll wait until the official tally is out; but I'm not sure how to qualify 'IQ is superb' if this is the case. Rendering less pixels means more quality per pixel in theory.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...ps4-pro-tech-preview-4k.144338/#post-25035739

Last edited:
@Dictator is saying they counted well below 1440p for 4Pro. I'll wait until the official tally is out; but I'm not sure how to qualify 'IQ is superb' if this is the case. Rendering less pixels means more quality per pixel in theory.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...ps4-pro-tech-preview-4k.144338/#post-25035739
That's only for the official screenshots given by Sony, not the video of the gameplay. Probably an error from the marketing.

@Dictator is saying they counted well below 1440p for 4Pro. I'll wait until the official tally is out; but I'm not sure how to qualify 'IQ is superb' if this is the case. Rendering less pixels means more quality per pixel in theory.

Last of us 2 certainly isn't above RDR2, some want it to be though. Maybe the final version will lift it above RDR2, but even then the differences are likely to be minimal. That an open world game even would come close to a 'corridor' style game says something.

Yeah, I'm not big on the resolution. I'm sure it'll still look great, and it'll be interesting to see how its resolution compares to the checkerboard 4K of God of War/Horizon and the temporal injection 4K of Spider-Man, but it's a little disappointing right now.

If it equals or surpasses the first game in terms of gameplay, story, and overall cohesion, I know I'll have a great time, and that's what really matters. But I anticipated a higher resolution (e.g. some form of reconstruction) from the Naughty Gods.

Oh well, looks like I'll be buying that 4K60 remaster in a couple of years.

Got to say, while it looks really nice, I dont think it looks better then RDR2. Especially if we are talking about sum of their visual quality, if anything IMO RDR2 looks more striking (snow scene comparison).

I love how R* games have phenomenal fog/mist/particle transition that give very believable, heavy vibe to visuals.

Got to say, while it looks really nice, I dont think it looks better then RDR2. Especially if we are talking about sum of their visual quality, if anything IMO RDR2 looks more striking (snow scene comparison).

I love how R* games have phenomenal fog/mist/particle transition that give very believable, heavy vibe to visuals.

Personally i still think HZD stands atop along with RDR2, above last of us 2 and that probably won't change as the last isn't even open world.
What rockstar have done is remarkable.

Also someone from Era did a closer comparison between the E3 build and preview build of similar location, which shows the graphics quality is pretty much the same if not better.
E3
vGtWeR3.gif

vhLSSYY.gif

Preview
autYvl5.gif

They probably tweaked the E32018 demo and at that time when the scale of the game was different maybe.
I might be wrong but let's keep in mind that base PS4 is the targeted model for development if i remember from an interview ? And not ps4 pro.
Game still has months to be polished.
Though i am pretty sure ND will do a great job polishing and upgrading the game where it matters most. And like many genes they will probably change some assets, textures and lighting.
We had lots of good games and engines this gen.
I love ND engine and the other one that impressed me was the re engine with DMC5...and 60 fps.

Remember :

jHSaXu.gif

Also someone from Era did a closer comparison between the E3 build and preview build of similar location, which shows the graphics quality is pretty much the same if not better.
E3
vGtWeR3.gif

vhLSSYY.gif

Preview
autYvl5.gif

The fist gif show the car in the left of the third gif.

Good catch Chris and yeah I expect ND to polish the crap out of this game by launch, UC4 has received nothing but upgrades from first gameaply reveal to final build.

Maybe you should run a new thread on why next gen will probably beat RDR 2 by a noticeable amount?

Oops hit a nerve there. Did you even watch or listen to what he said in the video you linked? He talks about compromises, flat textures and things like 'nothing fancy like gears 5' etc. Last of us 2 is up there with some others, it is not surpassing them by a noticeable amount, if anything (DF thinks not), in which i said next gen will probably do that, perhaps even by non AAA studios.

Oops hit a nerve there. Did you even watch or listen to what he said in the video you linked? He talks about compromises, flat textures and things like 'nothing fancy like gears 5' etc. Last of us 2 is up there with some others, it is not surpassing them by a noticeable amount, if anything (DF thinks not), in which i said next gen will probably do that, perhaps even by non AAA studios.
Eh No? Just suggesting you to take this comparison elsewhere for more elaborated discussion and I'll definitely participate. It's best to focus on the actual game here and whatever news that's around it, stuffs like detailed comparison is highly prone to thread derail thus getting the mod hammer sooner or later.
It's fair to say we've all touched on the graphics subject so I just think it's better to do a dedicated thread than in here.

Depends of what criteria you use though. RDR2 might be more realistic but TLOU2 overall fluidity during gameplay thanks to motion matching is doing exactly that. It's the new bar.

And TLOU2 is also more detailed overall (just watch a few videos done recently, there are plenty of footage now), again even if some may prefer less details (because open world) but a more realistic lighting, which I can totally understand (cause I kind of agree, I think all those details in TLOU2 are kind of spoiled by their more cartoony artstyle and filmic effects applied generously).

Last edited:
@Globalisateur Ultimately it's just going to come down to personal preference. Some people will pick Hzd, Control, Wolfenstein 2, COD MW, RDR2, God of War, that Kojima delivery game, Metro Exodus or whatever as their "best graphics" game. None of the choices are really wrong. They all just do things differently.

Very true too. Then we have resolutions, frame-rate, ray tracing etc that also play a role. Last of us 2 is running at 1440p on the Pro whereas HZD 4k reconstruction tech, it is going to look sharper. Strangely enough, Wolfenstein 2 is the best looking and most advanced apart from ray tracing (that game does not have it?), but it's a corridor first person game. Still personal opinion RDR2 wows the most, but i like HZD's style more.
The current gen consoles are just maxed, i think HZD already does that, as RDR2, last of us 2 etc aren't doing more, just differently.

Back