How much will The Last of Us Part 2 sell ?

What will be the combined LTD sales of TLOU2 (PS4, PS5 remaster) just before the release of PS6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see remasters as a way for developers to get subsidized way of bringing up engine to new console generation while showcasing something beyond last gen. Do large overhauls to engine/content/tools/... that go way beyond enhanced BC version. Recoup engine/tools development cost from remaster instead of having to invest to a completely new(more expensive to develop) game. I would be surprised if games on ps5 wouldn't run in some kind of enhanced BC mode. Another reason to do remaster is that games might be from way back when like ICO/Shadow of colossus and remastering allows re imaging the game to modern standards.

If ray tracing becomes a thing it definitely is something remasters could benefit from and it is not doable via enhanced BC.

BC is important to keep user base from resetting. Especially for sony it would be detrimental to do anything making it easier for users to jump into xbox wagon.

If I had one game series remastered I would wish for mgs1,2,3,4 remastered to ps5 standard or better yet make PC versions that have very future looking features. Think of but does it run crysis kind of deal.

We've already been told PS5 is fully backwards compatible with PS4.

Aslong as i won't have to pay anything for this BC it's cool :) Kinda the reason i didn't get a Pro, just one year from now and i will have Pro features then, + it can play PS5 games etc.

I suspect it will do less than spiderman Lifetime.
With a PS5 remaster (or not), what if Spider-man sells 30 million near the end of PS5 life ?
I suspect spiderman will get remaster for ps5. At least the wired article was showing spiderman as showcase on what ps5 and fast ssd can do. Remaster could enhance spiderman lifetime sales a lot. Remaster would also allow developer/sony to recoup some of the cost of porting existing engine for ps5 and have more ps5 content at (near)launch. There probably are bunch of people(like me) who haven't played spiderman and also those who would reinvest to ps5 version in case price for remaster right.

Maybe sony could do something where remasters would be discounted for people who already own digital version of spiderman-LToU2 to enhance repurchase rate further. Maybe even bundle spiderman remaster with ps5?
Did Rockstar offer such a discount for the countless people who double dipped on PS4, PC and XB1 ? Considering how disappointing that remake was, they really should have offered such a discount.
Maybe even bundle spiderman remaster with ps5?
Do you think PS5 will need a free copy of Spider-man to sell ?

With a PS5 remaster (or not), what if Spider-man sells 30 million near the end of PS5 life ?

So would that be around 200 Million PS4 + PS5 console Lifetime Sales? Putting it around 15% sell through? Or would PS4 + PS5 be more around 225 to 250 Million?

I see remasters as a way for developers to get subsidized way of bringing up engine to new console generation while showcasing something beyond last gen. Do large overhauls to engine/content/tools/... that go way beyond enhanced BC version. Recoup engine/tools development cost from remaster instead of having to invest to a completely new(more expensive to develop) game.

The developers should be doing that anyways, otherwise their next project is dead in the water. The payback is keeping their base happy that already bought the game and their franchise in the eyes of the gaming public, so the consumers are more willing to purchase the next game instead of feeling nickle-and-dime'd to death.

The developers should be doing that anyways, otherwise their next project is dead in the water. The payback is keeping their base happy that already bought the game and their franchise in the eyes of the gaming public, so the consumers are more willing to purchase the next game instead of feeling nickle-and-dime'd to death.

Remaster might be a 1-2 years to make while using limited amount of artists. Whole new triple a game is 3-5years and hundreds of people. There is big difference in cost doing a full new game versus remastering old game. This is especially true when developers/artists are time constrained by not having the final hw available.

If I was sony I would do some remaster for launch with limited effort and put major push to 2nd gen games coming out on consoles 2nd and 3rd year. It should also help if they can showcase how much better the remaster is versus original to convince people to upgrade.

To add insult to injury there is only so many consoles sold in launch. Trying to recoup triple a development cost out of launch titles is more than difficult. This probably partially explains why launch titles usually suck compared to what comes later on and why the heavy hitters are not out at launch.

Last edited:
So would that be around 200 Million PS4 + PS5 console Lifetime Sales? Putting it around 15% sell through? Or would PS4 + PS5 be more around 225 to 250 Million?
More like 250 million indeed. So let's say 12 million sold on PS4 + 15 million on PS5 (with 5 million who double dipped). Something like that.

Wait 15% of 120 million (PS4) is already 18 million. Maybe you should add some others choices up there on the poll ? :yep2:

That's a safe bet. One is an an original violent IP that is rated M, the other is Spider-freaken-man.
Nothing is safe when pre-orders could have broken all previous records.

Negative - However, TLOU2 will not be able to achieve the same level of "repeat" sales because the PS5 has full BC for PS4 software. That software may remain locked in original PS4 rendering mode [30fps lock, same assets, etc], but mere presence of BC will prevent full sale potential of nextgen port [4K60, enhanced assets, effects, MP].

Imma gonna pick the same range, 17-21.

It is not that attractive if PS5 version is only a remaster game of PS4 version.

But is it possible that they provide 2 graphic settings in PS5 port?

One mode is common “remaster mode” which provides 4K 60fps at PS4 level graphic, and the other is “remake mode” where every assets are replaced with PS5 level in lower resolution, except animations and physics. This approach is similar to Halo1 remaster.

I imagine that a PS5 port regardless of the PS4 BC feature, will push sales much higher. People aren't buying last gen PVE games simply to play on new gen console. They are buying remasters because they offer people the opportunity to play their favorite titles with enhanced graphics.

Its not like TLOU2 is going to have some attractive online feature (a la GTA Online) to warrant continue play on a new console.

TLOU2 is the ultimate Sony experience. People will be highly motivated to play an enhanced version on their new hardware.

Plus BC is a feature mostly limited to titles you already own or titles devs don't want to enhance. There are plenty of new gamers who will have never played TLOU2 next gen. I highly doubt Sony will carry the PS4 and PS5 version on its digital store.

Furthermore, I think its a given that Sony will offer a similar service to game pass and TLOU2 is prime content to drive initial subscription sales.

They are buying remasters because they offer people the opportunity to play their favorite titles with enhanced graphics.

That could be provided via BC, Sony just needs to mirror what MS provides with enhanced One-X BC titles.

That could be provided via BC, Sony just needs to mirror what MS provides with enhanced One-X BC titles.

That's simply MS providing an enhanced port for free. Its not like you can play an the enhanced version on your regular Xbox. Sony can provide something similar but given that most will readily indulge in buying enhanced version on new hardware, whats the point?

Sony is not in the same predicament as MS and they won't need to give to give away enhanced ports to drive PS5 sales.

Furthermore, I think its a given that Sony will offer a similar service to game pass.
They already do! It's called PSNow. If you subscribe (price now dropped to $60/£50 a year), you can download a variety of PS4 games to play locally, as well as stream games including older console titles. 'The Last of Us Remastered' was on PSNow. The main difference is Sony don't want to cannibalise sales with day one addition to the service, and instead rotate games in/out, so UC4 is in there now and being removed January.

Back