Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article goes into their different statements about CrossPlay and Cloud support. Not sure if those would be large enough conflicts internally to drive one out of the company completely.

Yes, read today. It has sense in creating a future proof machine in a tech environment slowing down innovation to make it as better is possible... Opposite view is keeping legacy with ps4 as much is possible.... Maybe just the conflicts between this two view reverberate in management conflicts....

No idea but in a world where tech is supposedly slowing down, one wouldn't have to create as much a powerfull machine to keep up with oncoming new tech.
On the other hand, i think console manufacturers usually put the best in there relative to price, performance, heat, size etc. It will probably be about like last time, mid-end hardware for the time, perhaps with lower-end RT hardware and lower amount of ram, in comparison to what's available then.

You mean DXR? If they can't get the hardware needed into their budget, they won't be able to support its full potential. But at the same time, if they can fake raytracing as the original line suggests, and get similar results with less effort, and this is seamless through the DXR API, then they are supporting it and supporting it in a very valuable way that brings DXR type features to lower-spec machines. I'd call that supporting their own technology very well, depending on results.
Correct. As long as the emulation is hidden behind the driver and the API still has the same outputs across all vendors then that would be fine.

If it requires completely different coding structure like CBR does; then it's adoption will be situational as we shouldn't expect all engines to be capable of incorporating these structural changes just for xbox.

Last edited:
It’s very strange and unfortunate that MS would knowingly know and support their own technology so terribly. I’m not sure about this one just yet, a major blunder if true.

If any of this is true, I wonder when Microsoft started developing plans on having RT implemented into Scarlett? Before or after X's 2017 release?

It seems Sony was planning for RT at least software wise for PS5 around 2016.

Per @chris1515,
And in 2016 Sony Interactive Entertainment hired Carl Vloet who was the lead in charge of the software raytracing stack at Caustic Graphics and later Power VR when Caustic was bought by Imagination.

Just watching the new surface vids. That port on the scarlett that was unknown could have been the removable hard drive. They look similar in size.

edit: wow they are finally announcing it I think. Waiting since 2015 build for them to showcase this product if I think it is what it is.
edit 2: yasssssss
edit 3: never been excited to own a device in a long time. I actually want to splurge!!

ahhahaah yessssss.... waiting so long for this! goodbye iphone!

Last edited:
The article goes into their different statements about CrossPlay and Cloud support. Not sure if those would be large enough conflicts internally to drive one out of the company completely.

The idea that Layden was more supportive of CrossPlay is a really, really bad read - he might or not have been, but that's not what he actually said. He's just from a different school of PR - his answer are just non-committal.

A small heads-up:

During the Surface reveal event that's happening right now, Microsoft announced the new Surface Laptop 3 13" and 15".
The 13" uses Intel Ice Lake, but the 15" one uses - according to them - a custom Ryzen APU with Radeon RX graphics.

This could be a semicustom SoC with a decent GPU that might have been mistaken as a console SoC throughout some leaks.

They also announced the Surface Pro X with a custom Qualcomm SQ1 which has a 2 TFLOPs GPU.

What's this strange sensation? It is like Microsoft being cool, but that's impossible!
lol. I've never been a fan of anything MS until Satya took over. The company is very different from what it used to be.

They also announced the Surface Pro X
Panos team also does the engineering for Xbox. So I can only assume the X suffix is going to be their top of the line for that product for all MS products.

This presentation instilled a lot of confidence in their ability to create amazing hardware and to still be able to innovate. I have very good feelings about Scarlet.

Per, alexhcranz over at Era (verified reporter at Gizmodo).

Make sense to me that Sony out of the two would have a more specialized RT HW. MS needs theirs to align with what's happening in the PC space for obvious reasons. I am expecting RDNA RT to be that. Using machine learning and HW RT to approximate RT is probably the MS and industry standard way forward. I'm really curious as to what Sony will be doing. With that said, I hope for both consoles to devote as little as possible of the GPU die space to dedicated RT HW.

Last edited:
Here's the thing that I find interesting.

Despite Apple making possibly the best ARM based CPU on the market and many people hoping they would make an a Mac Book using one of them, it ends up being Microsoft that is more aggressive at trying to get an ARM based full OS device (versus something like a crippled Chrome OS) into the market. They tried before with the original Surface RT, but that had far too limited app support. The key is going to be how well they translate x86 code to ARM in order to support Win32 apps.

Talk about not leaving all your eggs in one basket. They're releasing an Intel, AMD and "Surface SQ1" CPU (co-engineered by MS and Qualcomm) based Surface devices.

I'm also surprised that the ARM based Surface Pro X is going to start at 999.99 USD while the Surface Pro 7 (Intel based) will start 250 USD cheaper at 749.99 USD. Is the 13" display that much more expensive to include?

This is starting to go way off topic here. Maybe move all the Surface posts to the Surface thread?

Regards,
SB

This is starting to go way off topic here. Maybe move all the Surface posts to the Surface thread?
As long as it doesn't get too deep into surface I think it's okay to discuss. The thing is, some of the technologies there could be hints of showing up in Scarlet. So if we were to keep surface in the discussion, we'd have to relate it back to Scarlet for it to stay on topic.

lol. I've never been a fan of anything MS until Satya took over. The company is very different from what it used to be.
The major problem they have in my mind is their OS. My SP4 hardware is great hardware, but the OS is awkward and stupid and it's nowhere near as nice to use as a tablet than an iPad or Android tablet. I don't know how much baggage supporting PC through the same software stack brings to their console and designs, but it must be more than zero. Will they forgo options in favour of making it as like a PC as possible, and present it to the OS and the software as just a PC?

The major problem they have in my mind is their OS. My SP4 hardware is great hardware, but the OS is awkward and stupid and it's nowhere near as nice to use as a tablet than an iPad or Android tablet. I don't know how much baggage supporting PC through the same software stack brings to their console and designs, but it must be more than zero. Will they forgo options in favour of making it as like a PC as possible, and present it to the OS and the software as just a PC?
Continuum back when I saw it switched profiles between mobile phone and desktop experience. It looks like they scrapped that idea with W10 X. And the Surface Duo (phone) is using android, so I'm not sure what the intention is there for that, unless it's like their Surface X which runs full W10 on ARM as well.

You are right that their OS has rather been dropping in quality though in comparison to everything else improving.

Make sense to me that Sony out of the two would have a more specialized RT HW. MS needs theirs to align with what's happening in the PC space for obvious reasons. I am expecting RDNA RT to be that. Using machine learning and HW RT to approximate RT is probably the MS and industry standard way forward. I'm really curious as to what Sony will be doing. With that said, I hope for both consoles to devote as little as possible of the GPU die space to dedicated RT HW.
As per that specific leak:

Updated October 2, 2019 1:10 p.m. EDT

Comment added on tipster’s claims about Microsoft’s camera development. A Microsoft spokesman denied any camera technology is in development and that none has been delivered to developers in any form.

not sure how much the rest of the rumour is credible then.

Are the use cases really the same? How many people really use Android tablets (dead in the the water, only crap Chinese hardware and a Samsung tablet released per year or so in the market) and iPads for productivity tasks? On the other hand, if one wants a tablet mostly for content consumption, getting a Surface Pro is overkill.

As per that specific leak:

Updated October 2, 2019 1:10 p.m. EDT

Comment added on tipster’s claims about Microsoft’s camera development. A Microsoft spokesman denied any camera technology is in development and that none has been delivered to developers in any form.

not sure how much the rest of the rumour is credible then.

When I saw the bit about camera, my belief in these leaks dropped to the floor to be honest.

If any of this is true, I wonder when Microsoft started developing plans on having RT implemented into Scarlett? Before or after X's 2017 release?

It seems Sony was planning for RT at least software wise for PS5 around 2016.

Didn't MS state at E3 that their next console will have 'hardware RT support'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back