Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of graphics performance, our tipster offered fuzzy details about how each console would handle ray tracing differently, but frankly, the statements were too hard to parse, so we won’t reprint them here.

As I stated before, I don't think Sony's RT solution will be AMD related tech. The PS5 RT hardware will either be in-house tech, or third party related tech (i.e., Imagination Technologies / PowerVR RT solution).

I hope Sony and MS do have different RT solutions, it would make for better debates and topics...

Per, alexhcranz over at Era (verified reporter at Gizmodo).

Unfortunately, it's too vague. For example, I read the tipster's comment as suggesting the Sony device would do lots of real-time ray tracing from occlusion to shadows to full bounce reflections and the Microsoft device would rely on tricks to emulate ray tracing. But another colleague read the exact same comment and interpreted it as how ray tracing might appear in titles re-released for the new system. Game devs I passed it along too all had opinions that ranged the gamut from mine to my colleagues'. So until we get a little more detail I'm afraid it's all hearsay.

Greatest jump in compute can mean anything especially if we’re talking about absolute terms and not relative.

A 6TF jump over base PS4 would still be the greatest jump and still end up with a disappointing 8TF machine.

sorry, I interpret vague statements through the lens of an absolute cynic.

In fact really little has been shown (and told) yet... this may be not really strategical (to exend ps4 lifespan) but just forced ???

In fact really little has been shown (and told) yet... this may be not really strategical (to exend ps4 lifespan) but just forced ???
Nothing was shown or told of PS4 before its Feb2013 unveil, and yet it all went well. Relax, there is still a lot of time left before 2020 holidays.

Also, they would be mad to talk more about PS5 before this holiday season is finished. They need to sell as much PS4s as they can, while they can.

If PS5 is the biggest generational jump ever happened (as new rumors states and contrary to my previous opinions) selling & specially buying NOW a ps4 has really little sense and may create disappointing in customers. To be polite Sony has better to announce and accept some consistent decline in salese for some time... Different view on this may have caused the breack of relations in Sony's management ?

I think gamers read too much into corporate politics. Even when Ken Kutaragi was forced to resign or into retirement, his departure had very little effect on PS4's launch or it becoming a success. If anything, it made Sony a better company.

Last edited:
I think gamers read too much into corporate politics. Even when Ken Kutaragi was forced to resign or into retirement, his departure had very little effect on PS4's launch or it becoming a success. If anything, it made Sony a better company.

Sure just look at all the turnover in management after the XBO launch. It's in a much better place now.

But there's a difference in political turmoil as a result of bad execution and/or decisions (PS3/XBO) versus coming after a very successful product campaign (PS4).

Not saying that things are good or bad. Just that it's in no way similar to Ken Kutaragi being forced out.

Regards,
SB

Kutaragi's retirement was beneficial however...

I'm pretty sure I covered that by stating: "If anything, it made Sony a better company."

Sure just look at all the turnover in management after the XBO launch. It's in a much better place now.

This generation being cooked. We shall see how well these changes playout during the next-generation.

But there's a difference in political turmoil as a result of bad execution and/or decisions (PS3/XBO) versus coming after a very successful product campaign (PS4).

Not saying that things are good or bad. Just that it's in no way similar to Ken Kutaragi being forced out.

Regards,
SB

Sure, you can view it that way.

Or, I can view it as Layden being a potential problem for Sony. Who's to say he wasn't creating potential issues within the gaming division towards a successful PS5 launch? Point being, Landen isn't no more special than any other executive getting let go at a company. He'll bounce back and Sony will move on.

Per, alexhcranz over at Era (verified reporter at Gizmodo).
It’s very strange and unfortunate that MS would knowingly know and support their own technology so terribly. I’m not sure about this one just yet, a major blunder if true.

It’s very strange and unfortunate that MS would knowingly know and support their own technology so terribly.
You mean DXR? If they can't get the hardware needed into their budget, they won't be able to support its full potential. But at the same time, if they can fake raytracing as the original line suggests, and get similar results with less effort, and this is seamless through the DXR API, then they are supporting it and supporting it in a very valuable way that brings DXR type features to lower-spec machines. I'd call that supporting their own technology very well, depending on results.

Yes, read today. It has sense in creating a future proof machine in a tech environment slowing down innovation to make it as better is possible... Opposite view is keeping legacy with ps4 as much is possible.... Maybe just the conflicts between this two view reverberate in management conflicts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back