Shawn Layden quit Sony

This guy left no impression on me on either of his two roles, unlike both of his predecessors. This sudden departure, out of the blue, feels odd though. The lack of an announced successor may indicate this was not planned.

This guy left no impression on me on either of his two roles, unlike both of his predecessors. This sudden departure, out of the blue, feels odd though. The lack of an announced successor may indicate this was not planned.
There is still Shu who technically always was the President of SIE Worldwide Studios. I never really understood what was the job of Layden, some kind of super president, maybe because they needed a boss at Worldwide studios who wasn't Japanese ? Who knows.

Shu is still their best man for the job IMO. He is a real gamer. I mean who else at Sony platinumed Bloodborne and can beat one of the hardest Chalice boss (Watchdog of The Old Lords) on a random show ? :LOL:

They did executive reshuffle at a start of new financial quarter.

I don't find that strange, although Shawn only got a twitter message instead of press release.

Yea at my company there’s a big difference between retirement and forced retirement.

Real retirement the company plans for 8+ months to figure out who will replace them. Celebration party and all. Then there is forced retirement, where the person is laid off in the form of forcing them to retire. That shit is usually an abrupt email with nothing more.

If Shawn was retiring on his terms we would have known about it long ago. He has been with Sony for 30 years, dude deserves a better send off than a tweet.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these executive cuts or forced retirements are to free up future capital or monies on offsetting some of tariff impact with the next-generation of systems. Sony maybe looking at $45-$65 in additional cost per unit, dealing with the orange baboon sitting in the oval office.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these executive cuts or forced retirements are to free up future capital or monies on offsetting some of tariff impact with the next-generation of systems. Sony maybe looking at $45-$65 in additional cost per unit, dealing with the orange baboon sitting in the oval office.

It seems Shawn Layden is not retiring just forced to quit Sony. The industry rumor is he was "fired". We will have some articles in a few days.

It seems Shawn Layden is not retiring just forced to quit Sony. The industry rumor is he was "fired". We will have some articles in a few days.
That’s unfortunate. Shawn has a lot of his hands in the pie of PlayStation’s success.

On a related note; I remember @Nesh was given a hard time for being concerned about the state of things with Sony before the state of plays were announced. I believe his intuition served him well there. Since House left there has been a lot of executive movement at the highest levels ina very short period of time.

Last edited:
That’s unfortunate. Shawn has a lot of his hands in the pie of PlayStation’s success.

On a related note; I remember @Nesh was given a hard time for being concerned about the state of things with Sony before the state of plays were announced. I believe his intuition served him well there. Since House left there has been a lot of executive movement at the highest levels ina very short period of time.

There is many things some quit because they have done there time like Jack Tretton and Andrew House and some goes to the retirement. It seems 60 years old is the age japanese executives retires. In 5 years max Shuhei Yoshida(55 years old) will retire.

It seems Shawn Layden is the only one to be asked to go with Ken Kuturagi and the poor PS3 launch and generation.

Edit: Kaz Hirai retired too but he was not inside SIE But CEO of Sony.

Last edited:
But if Layden was due to retire at 60, why isn't a replacement ready? If you know someone is leaving, you prepare for that.

Too many "Playstation" faces are leaving. I wonder who will control the reins for the PS5 launch.

But if Layden was due to retire at 60, why isn't a replacement ready? If you know someone is leaving, you prepare for that.

It was not prepared, it seems from industry rumor, he was asked to leave. For the Sony Japan CEO, there is a proper press release and a replacement. He stopped to tweet since the 20th september, he probably knows since 10 days.

This always happens with a new CEO, he/she will always bring in their peeps and clean house
You clean house when things are not going to plan, not when you are market leader.

They could just be restructuring PlayStation within Sony as they always seemed a lot of layers of management, indeed it's been a bit of a mess for a while. It felt like Andrew House ran a stable, if complex, ship but since he departed it has all been in flux.

Whoever is in charge needs to let Cerny design PS5 as he sees fit and don't much about with Sony's first party studio's creative process. Just pay the bills, keep advertising Spider-Man on the side of London buses and let people do what they do best so making sure you're ready to transition to streaming if they ever really becomes something money-spending gamers crave.

The biggest issue in merging SIEA, SIEE, and SIEJA is the cavernous difference in product marketplaces. Marketing a product in the North/South American markets is vastly different than doing so in Europe. And neither aligns with how sales work in Japan and Asia.. Suddenly, three teams were working on the same thing without much clarity in reporting structure.
How do other companies manage it? Do Apple et al stay regional?

Back