Your next monitor should be

Depends if the light is diffuse before , or after the LC layer - the latter case resembles LCOS with its >5000:1 contrast because of limited incoming angles (telecentric condition).
That would be 12x HDR nits compared to OLED or 6x less power consumption if only vertical viewing angle is constrained, yet can be done for horizontal too.
Wanted to depict horizontal lines that of an ordinary CRT.

I always wanted one of those 3 tube crt projectors, thats really the be all end all of crt. the highest end ones will do 1080p at 120hz. There is still a pretty die hard fan base for them over at avs forum. theyre a few hundred pounds, very large.

I don't think projection technologies are relevant for computer monitors. Three-panel LCOS and DLP projection with laser light sources has great brightnes and contrast, but it's very expensive and limited to large-venue theatrical projectors for cinema and conferencing.

'Your next monitor' within 5-10 year timeframe will be based on some combination of LED/OLED backlight or active pixels, photo-emissive QD (quantum dot) color filters, and LCD shutters - specifically,
  • QD-LCD : blue LED or mLED backlight (several thousand zones), with subpixel brigthness still controlled by LCD shutters, and active quantum dot 'color converters' (QDCC) replacing passive color filters ('phosphors');
  • QD-OLED : blue OLED with QD color converters - as opposed to current white organic LED (wOLED) pixels with passive color filters.
There could be some progress with active pixel mLED and active-matrix QD-LED (inorganic, electro-emissive QD) displays, but these will be limited to high-end and large-diagonal televisions for the foreseeable future. There is no other display technology on the horizon that could be viable for mass manufacturing.

Last edited:
LCOS exist in transmission mode (not just reflective) , the terminology is right, & such a display works using parallel light rays (not diverging) - a directional backlight . So you can conclude stuff. Obviously it's different , and has less drawbacks , and MUCH higher peak brightness. By the way quantum dot display seems to be a red herring because backscattering (CRTs had aluminium layer against phosphors for a good reason).

Again, LCOS (liquid crystall on silicon) only exists in the reflective form, as the underlying polysilicon lsayer is not transparent, so it is not a direct view technology. It is designed for microdisplays a few inches in size, which are then optically enlarged for projection.

There will never be large LC displays made from crystalline silicon, unless we find some magic way to economically manufacture and process silicon wafers about 30 times larger than the current 300 mm, to replace the glass substrate used for depositing amorphous silicon during production of TFT (thin-film transistors) displays.

Last edited:
Directional backlights are direct view technology, Epson makes LCD/LCOS with TFT, camera viewfinders are not enlarged yet transmissive and LCOS like.
I'm not posting related papers but there are.

Directional backlights are direct view technology,
camera viewfinders are not enlarged yet transmissive and LCOS like.

Great, but I prefer looking into that 32" diagonal piece glass they call the 4K monitor when I work at my computer, and not into a some kind of 'viewfinder', thank you.

Epson makes LCD/LCOS with TFT
It's just a standard TFT layer deposited on a glass susbtrate, so P-Si is only used for thermal stability here, and then again it's still a microdisplay.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not about to follow-up with semantics or stipulating, but look at it this way, you only have the specified, and fairly limited contrast ratio in limited set of degrees already. The "sweet spot". What I'm saying is, that's direct function of the backlight, not of the panel. Is that so hard to believe? See Sharp papers, I gave the patent, it's about getting specified set of viewing angle out of directional backlight (different horizontal /vertical) something you can't really specify the latest crop of surface emitting displays for and makes no sense to emit light into corners of a room either.

Oh, almost forgot :
https://www.dnp.co.jp/eng/news/detail/1191512_2453.html
"Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) has developed a new type viewing angle control film for use with in-vehicle liquid crystal displays (LCD). The film controls the viewing angle of such in-vehicle displays as automotive navigation systems and speedometers, prevents glare on the windscreen, and boosts brightness when viewed from the driver. Sample shipments will commence October."

a new type viewing angle control film for use with in-vehicle liquid crystal displays (LCD)
It's not new. Display manufacturers have long been using all kinds various coatings to improve contrast ratio, and the actual measurable improvement is always, well, exactly zero. It looks like coating cannot magically make the backlight brighter, enlarge the pixel fill ratio of the LC cell, or narrow the bandwidth of the color filters.

What I'm saying is, that's direct function of the backlight, not of the panel. Is that so hard to believe? See Sharp papers, I gave the patent
This specific patent is about improving the viewing angles on TN type panels using a light scattering coating that is applied after the polarizer glass. It's been advertised since 2014 but it didn't exactly took the computer display market by storm and significantly improve the performance of TN panels.

I'm still on CRT in 2022 :cool:

Manged to get a brand new AOC 9G+ in February (To replace my old and word CRT) and I love it,

As it's brand new it doesn't have ~20 years worth of wear on the phosphor layer so everything is bright and beautiful.

Browsing the desktop isn't as good as a fixed pixel display but gaming, oh my word, gaming.

No flat panel I've ever owned competes with it, not even close....black levels are insane!

Currently playing Silent Hill 2 and the Splinter Cell series, games that are very dark and benefit massively from CRT's ability to do inky blacks.

The blacks are black with not a hint of 'grey' like on nearly all flat panels, it's transformative.

Hopefully the OLED monitors over the next 18-24 months will finally be able to match CRT's motion clarity and then I can jump to a flat panel.

A few picks of S.T.A.L.K.E.R :love:

FSd-Gd-LSXs-AA2p-Oy.jpg

FSd-Gdsq-WQAMd-HYr.jpg

It is 640x480, good eye balls you have!

Still pin sharp, that resolution on even a 1080p monitor would like like a**....

Can you please try to Play cyberpunk 2077 with max quality and max RT, and take a photo of it? To be posted on cyberpunk subforum.

Even better if a short video without flicker / with synced shutter x refresh rate.

My 19" CRT did NOT like non-native resolutions, it went blurry as or generated nasty moire.
I don't miss CRTs at all.

Rewatching the OP video I have to suspect these guys have been only using 'gaming' type TN LCDs, I've never noticed all this blur stuff they talk about on my IPSes.
Maybe I just don't play the kind of games where it shows up/its been there & I don't notice.
I definitely didn't like the one 1080p TN type I bought & quickly switched to a 1920*1200 IPS when I found one at the right price.

At a fundamental level I don't miss sitting infront of an xray generator regardless of how good the filters/voltage protection are.

Back