Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, judging by the reveal it could be the SSD solution disassembled.

Something I didn't notice the first time around was the 6 second demo render @2:15... any thoughts on it?

Definitely looks like RT lighting, shadowing and reflections going on in that scene. And the AA sampling and the resolution clarity looks beyond anything on the X/Pro.

I don't think there is nothing to be taken away from demo renders. They can be anything from cg target renders to technical experiments that prove infiesable in regular games and whatever, and the actual shots there are not even that mind blowing to start with, and seem to te from the firat Halo Infinite trailers which the deva themselves already did a "making of" video, and it makes ir pretty clear it's a hdge podge of scene by scene solutions mostly to create a cool concept trailer that hopefuly aproximates what the end game will look like but not even them know what that will be yet because its still being built. Remember: game dev is Messy, with capital M and everything.

Only relegating 4x or any generic multiplier to one particular part of a system, really doesn't explain the overall architecture and potential system throughput.
Yet it's impossible to assign a value to the overall system multiplier as it can't be determined. Is it the total aggregate multipliers, or multiplier of the weakest component, or what? We can only measure total system improvement using benchmarks.

Yet it's impossible to assign a value to the overall system multiplier as it can't be determined. Is it the total aggregate multipliers, or multiplier of the weakest component, or what? We can only measure total system improvement using benchmarks.

Can we please just stop trying to predict what Microsoft meant with 4x performance after Phil Spencer very clearly explained they meant CPU performance?

We know in the past with Scorpio how these videos are made. They interview everyone and the marketing people go back and edit the interviews and cut and splice. It's exactly how we got the "4K beautifully uncompressed pixels". In a later interview he mentioned he could not live that down because of the way the marketing team cut up his interview. He was only making reference that most digital copies are compressed video formats, and native 4K from consoles are not.

We don't know how the "4x more powerful than X1X" was cut up. It may have been made in reference to a great number of things, but the marketing team cut it up and left it at that. While I agree it's entirely possible it was in reference to the CPU as Phil confirms it is; but that may have been a cop-out explanation that is factually true, that may not have actually been in reference to what was being said in the interview.

When PS6 reaches Ultra Instinct.
JU06.gif

That's likely just going to be artifacts from trying to use AI to enhance the extremely blurred parts of the image.

Regards,
SB
Where did it say they used AI to enhance the image? It looked to me like it was the highest quality source that could be found and a specific frame grab.

Where did it say they used AI to enhance the image? It looked to me like it was the highest quality source that could be found and a specific frame grab.

I was just going by the #CSIENHANCE part of it. That implies taking a blurred or low resolution image and "magically" enhancing it to bring out more detail.

If all they did was grab a different shot from the video footage then it isn't CSI enhancing, eh?

Regards,
SB

I've been thinking/wondering about this for a while. What do you think Microsoft was trying to show us here in the Scarlett trailer. Seems important enough to show and important enough to apply an elaborate filter to, some product codes also seem visible...
What? This is just really shitty depth of field and CA from a macro shot with the wrong setup. Shooting a board at an angle will always do that without proper care.

The chip visible looks nothing important or useful. MPxxxx is the common prefrix from MPS which makes popular PMIC silicon. You're probably looking at a generic 50 cents chip.

No wait, it must be ray tracing hardware!

For the same reason they show everything else there. Illustrative purposes. Despite a minority that leans over each second of footage with a magnifying glass in search of clues, that is not the audience for which MS makes these videos for.

That’s odd. Because in my reality, MS has a history of throwing hidden clues in their marketing vids. Wasn’t 12 GB of gddr5 initially hinted by the Scorpio motherboard render from the 2016 e3 vid?

So it’s understandable why people bother with searching MS’s video for secret messages or info not officially revealed by MS.

Last edited:
That’s odd. Because in my reality, MS has a history of throwing hidden clues in their marketing vids. Wasn’t 12 GB of gddr5 initially hinted by the Scorpio motherboard render from the 2016 e3 vid?

So it’s understandable why people bother with searching MS’s video for secret messages or info not officially revealed by MS.
Yes, and that’s how people noticed mixed 16Gb and 8Gb chips in the Scarlett video.

I don't think MS ever had a "secret message" in those Scorpio renders. They simply used images of the actual board in their presentations and such board happened to to allow people with certain eletronics knowledge to guess the amount of memory in there. There's nothing to make us think MS left clues about there on purpose.
With that said, its perfectly possible that current scarlet videos also have acurate depictions of the console's board that can give us useful clues. Great. And it's perfectly cool for those who want to to try do uncover these clues.
I'm just trying yo remind us that not everything about the video was done for the explicit purpose of leaving clues for that niche.
The Scarlet videos were meant first and foremost to to present the concept of MS next gen consule to the broad public. If it ends up giving out any hints about the componets, that is mostly a side-effect.

I do recall a controversial MS something where they randomly put 6 > 4 forget where though.

I’ll give my 2 cents on the matter.
XBO they were way behind schedule in every sense. Thus no video.

With Scorpio they were on time. Thus video.

Given the above; I am assuming with Scarlet they are also on time. Thus video. Thus we are looking at real scarlet hardware. The blur may be to actually cover up the hints due to the fact that they are unsure of what their competition has.

If they knew ahead of time that they are more powerful like they did when concerning 4Pro; we may have seen an unblurred video. Something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back