How much will The Last of Us Part 2 sell ?

What will be the combined LTD sales of TLOU2 (PS4, PS5 remaster) just before the release of PS6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
What will be the Life to date and combined sales of The Last of Us Part 2 just before the PS6 releases ?

This Includes PS4 and PS5 version (which will most probably be remastered). This is how it's done with GTA5 sales. They include every versions. Does not include an hypothetical standalone multiplayer game.

Last year in April the combined sales of TLOU1 (PS3, PS4) was 17 million. We could guess that just before the release of PS5 TLOU1 would have sold roughly 20 million.

You can change your vote and the poll will close in 4 months.

Positive - Traditionally, sequels of a very popular original IP sell much more than the first title. U2 sold more than U1 [and U3 broke the opening day records for Sony], Arkham City sold much more than Asylum. Sony is now in a state where they will ~soon release many sequels for the games that established new franchises [TLOU, Horizon, Spiderman, and norse God of War], and I expect that all those games will be juggernauts.

Positive - TLOU2 will again be released just before arrival of nextgen, opening the door for appearance of another separate nextgen SKU.

Negative - However, TLOU2 will not be able to achieve the same level of "repeat" sales because the PS5 has full BC for PS4 software. That software may remain locked in original PS4 rendering mode [30fps lock, same assets, etc], but mere presence of BC will prevent full sale potential of nextgen port [4K60, enhanced assets, effects, MP].

Imma gonna pick the same range, 17-21.

Remasters could be wildcard on sales. I wonder how many people have already double/triple dipped on games that got significantly better versions over time? GTAV probably is prime example of selling again and again to same people? How well did TLoU1 remaster sell?

What could ps5 remasters bring into table compared to ps4? Better assets/textures thanks to fast ssd/more ram? Ray tracing(lightning, shadows, gi)? Freesync suppport on new tv's and consoles? Are current gen console games optimized freesync in mind or are they still locked 30/60Hz?

Remasters of games released within the past 3 years that cost additional money over $10 always strikes me as money-grabbing. As a consumer I much prefer the free additional Texture Upgrades and patches approach.

I see remasters on sliding scale. If significant work is put in(i.e. money&time) it's fine to sell a remaster. If it's a hack job then I feel completely opposite.

I have not played any of the TLoU games. Also I gave my ps4 away quite some time ago. I will very likely get ps5. So to me buying a remaster of those games makes all the sense in the world. On the other hand if some game like gtav will eventually come to pc I will never invest into the console version even if it means years of waiting.

Remasters of games released within the past 3 years that cost additional money over $10 always strikes me as money-grabbing. As a consumer I much prefer the free additional Texture Upgrades and patches approach.
Yeah where's our 2nd CD of S3TC textures?

9-13 mil. This may be a sequel to one of highly critiqued and award-winning games of last gen but it's an 18 rated game and the genre is exceedingly tired. I peg it behind Spider-Man in terms of sales for those reasons.

Last edited:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/god-of-war-ps4-sales-top-10-million.1482202/

3bbc7ed5e5e8a609dcd98a66a6a0124520190521061913.png

I think the game will sold around 20 millions units

I suspect spiderman will get remaster for ps5. At least the wired article was showing spiderman as showcase on what ps5 and fast ssd can do. Remaster could enhance spiderman lifetime sales a lot. Remaster would also allow developer/sony to recoup some of the cost of porting existing engine for ps5 and have more ps5 content at (near)launch. There probably are bunch of people(like me) who haven't played spiderman and also those who would reinvest to ps5 version in case price for remaster right.

Maybe sony could do something where remasters would be discounted for people who already own digital version of spiderman-LToU2 to enhance repurchase rate further. Maybe even bundle spiderman remaster with ps5?

This gen has been the gen of the remasters, and it seemed to cash in rather well. PS5 will offer more remasters i think.

Back