Kirin SOC

Looks like Qualcomm may finally be forced to step up the GPU performance for more than a few percent.

Looks like Qualcomm may finally be forced to step up the GPU performance for more than a few percent.

If they'd clock that 16 cluster GPU at some insane frequency maybe, but then again the sustained against the "cold" peak performance gap would be ridiculous.

From the top of my head frequency for SoC GPUs in Kirin SoCs is constantly shrinking with the G76 MP10 in the Kirin 980 being at a humble 720MHz (considering the =/>1GHz frequencies of predecessors), where the best Adreno640 implementation I recall is roughly < 30% ahead of the Huawei P30 in demanding GPU benchmarks *** edit https://www.anandtech.com/show/1479...ndup-searching-for-the-best-implementations/6 ***
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the 990 for its GPU invests in higher sustained performance values then before with a somewhat lower frequency than in the 980.

Last edited:
Heard that Huawei just announced a new flagship, apparently trying to top the iPhone 11 announcement by touting a model with 4 cameras instead of the 3 in the iPhone 11 Pro models.

So if they’re doing similar types of photo processing, there is increasing need for more processing power.

But before the processor and cameras, apparently these ew devices won’t be running Android so it will be interesting what kind of market reception they will get, both inside and particularly outside China.

Wow, lots of confusion there.

1 - The Mate 30 series have 3 cameras: just like the Mate 20 series from late 2018, the P30 series from early this year, and the P20 Pro from early 2018. And like most of Samsung's latest S10 series.
They all have one main sensor with wide optics, one ultra-wide and one with optical zoom, so people can mimic the larger cameras' zoom-in/out functionality without the big lenses.
They've been doing processing using several sensors for a while. This isn't new to Huawei, Samsung or many others.

There's no "trying to top the iphone 11" here. There's only "apple trying to keep up with everyone else about one year later".

2 - They are using Android. In fact, they're using AOSP. They can sideload google play and google apps if people want to.

2 - They are using Android. In fact, they're using AOSP. They can sideload google play and google apps if people want to.

Not only that, but they can push their own app store, their own user profile registry, etc. Depending on uptake in China and other markets this might pose a threat to Google's hegemony long term.

I'll bet Alphabet is lobbying the Trump administration to allow Huawei to use Google's app suite again.

Cheers

I have some confusion about this, but looks like the integrated 5G modem is sub 6GHz, while in half the world is over 25GHz.
It's a standard's problem, but this means that they are implementing half the 5G?

[QUOTE="ToTTenTranz, post: 2082361, member: 13524]

There's no "trying to top the iphone 11" here. There's only "apple trying to keep up with everyone else about one year later".

[/QUOTE]

Except when it comes to SOC performance right?

But yeah Huawei is willing to spend more on camera components.

Except when it comes to SOC performance right?

Which doesn't really matter anymore.
Smartphone games in general are incredibly undemanding and no one's doing heavy video editing / scientific simulations / heavy productivity on their phones, so getting 20% better performance than last year is only good for epeens.
Any android with a SoC that has a module Cortex A7x will be snappy enough for 99% of the smartphone usage. With the Pixel 3a, google proved you don't even need the faster SoC with 64bit LPDDR4X bandwidth for great image capture algorythms.

While some 5 years ago the best-sellers were always the flagships, nowadays the top-10 best selling phone list is mostly ruled by Samsung's A-series, Redmis and the cheaper iphones.

Which doesn't really matter anymore.
Smartphone games in general are incredibly undemanding and no one's doing heavy video editing / scientific simulations / heavy productivity on their phones, so getting 20% better performance than last year is only good for epeens.
Any android with a SoC that has a module Cortex A7x will be snappy enough for 99% of the smartphone usage. With the Pixel 3a, google proved you don't even need the faster SoC with 64bit LPDDR4X bandwidth for great image capture algorythms.

While some 5 years ago the best-sellers were always the flagships, nowadays the top-10 best selling phone list is mostly ruled by Samsung's A-series, Redmis and the cheaper iphones.

I'm more concerned with sustained performance.

Like.. Able to run pubg mobile 1080p60 for 30 minutes straight without throttling

Because high performance SoC was touted as awesome for games but it's pretty much just a marketing speak if it can't sustain performance

What about all these computational photography modes?

Sounds like they're doing preprocessing even before you tap the shutter button and of course afterwards.

When it comes to sustained performance overall, mostly QCOM SoCs stick out of the bunch these days.
As for performance, low end, mainstream or high end it's all nice on paper, but Huawei should IMHO really take a look at Xiaomi's software platforms, related stability and support. I'd rather take a Mi9 any day and save myself more than half the money and a healthy portion of my sanity than any P30 whatever and I couldn't care less if low light shots suck f.e.

***edit: on a sidenote early results show the 990 to be clearly ahead of the 980 but as the author notes nothing groundbreaking from early indications either: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1489...ro-kirin-990-and-7680-fps-slow-motion-tests/5

Last edited:
Computational photography in modern smartphones use dedicated DSPs and neural processing units. Making fast and wide CPU cores with lots of cache (again, over a Cortex A72 @ ~2GHz) doesn't make that much of a difference in taking pictures anymore, AFAIK.

Back