Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When ps4 launched the fastest single gpu was almost 3x its performance.
A 750Ti is still more or less matches a PS4 to this day, almost nothing has changed, see the example of Control ..

Also, there is a non linear scaling between GPU compute power and fps, you might think you would need 2X the GPU compute power to push from 30fps to 60fps, but that is simply not true, you will often end up requiring upwards of 3X or more. You will require more and more compute power if you factor in the higher quality settings on the PC. Same goes for CPU compute power as well.

Though you can find games on the other side of the fence as well. Deus Ex Mankind Divided for example, Digitalfoundry recommended a GTX 950 for matching console settings at 30 FPS.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-deus-ex-mankind-divided-face-off

Digitalfoundry also had worse performance on an i3 4130 and GTX 750 Ti in Rise of the Tomb Raider and DOOM 2016, though they never retested those games in DX12 and Vulkan.

A 750Ti is still more or less matches a PS4 to this day, almost nothing has changed, see the example of Control ...
Isn't Control an outlier though regards its PS4 performance. Heck, it performs worse on PS4 than the lower power XB1 when it hits its stutters. For any such comparison, you need a broad sampling, so what percentage of games on 750Ti match PS4?

A 750Ti is still more or less matches a PS4 to this day, almost nothing has changed, see the example of Control ..

This is what i see almost everywhere, a 750TI isn't all that special though.

, Digitalfoundry recommended a GTX 950 for matching console settings at 30 FPS.

Yes and a 750Ti and 950 aren't worlds apart either. About the same ballpark performance for the most, and both aren't really gaming products in my eyes, a 960 or a 760 at least for the time.

Digitalfoundry also had worse performance on an i3 4130 and GTX 750 Ti in Rise of the Tomb Raider and DOOM 2016, though they never retested those games in DX12 and Vulkan.

A 750Ti roughly matches PS4, it is in the GTX660 range. A 760 atleast performs the same with some higher settings then the PS4 version though.

Why are comparisons being made to nVidia architectures?

True to that, i guess nvidia's gpu's are more widespread? HD7850 probably is easier to compare, for the most. A 660/760 otherwise would atleast match and probably outperform the base PS4 most of the time. It is abit faster then a 750Ti.

Isn't Control an outlier though regards its PS4 performance. Heck, it performs worse on PS4 than the lower power XB1 when it hits its stutters. For any such comparison, you need a broad sampling, so what percentage of games on 750Ti match PS4?
PS has been patched, a lot better now. Not sure how it compares to XO now though. E.g. Don't know if the XO was also patched.

Just for current state of play regarding control.

Also, there is a non linear scaling between GPU compute power and fps, you might think you would need 2X the GPU compute power to push from 30fps to 60fps, but that is simply not true, you will often end up requiring upwards of 3X or more. You will require more and more compute power if you factor in the higher quality settings on the PC. Same goes for CPU compute power as well.

This is not true at all and is why DF has stopped comparing them.

A 760 is more then a match for the PS4, often doing better, even nowadays. A 670 is outperforming it most of the time. DF doesn't do any pc to console comparisons anymore.

They do they just stopped trying to find the slowest GPU required to match the PS4 as it has been steadily increasing.

Yes and a 750Ti and 950 aren't worlds apart either. About the same ballpark performance for the most, and both aren't really gaming products in my eyes, a 960 or a 760 at least for the time.

The 950 is a fair bit better than the 750 Ti across plenty of modern games.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2504?vs=2503

The GTX 950 was released two years after the PS4 and Xbox One. Both are good cases because they were popular recommendations for budget PCs that would still outperform the PS4.

The GTX 950 was released two years after the PS4 and Xbox One. Both are good cases because they were popular recommendations for budget PCs that would still outperform the PS4.

Outperforming yes. A 760 is matching atleast in performance, with a setting or two higher (like in doom). But we should compare HD7870 or 7850, perhaps.

I just watched the 750ti control video. Im not seeing how thats matching a PS4. PS4 doesnt run with all reflections turned completely off, which is the only time a 750ti holds 30 fps, even with absolutely nothing happening on screen.

The 950 is a fair bit better than the 750 Ti across plenty of modern games.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2504?vs=2503

This is kind of expected. Newer games are levering things that NV GPUs weren't particularly good at up until Pascal. Namely the growing popularity of Async Compute and other features that AMD had in GCN for a long time but got limited to no use in the PC space until Mantle and now Vulkan and Dx12 came out.

Basically there's no way for a 6 series or 7 series NV GPU to compete on even footing in newer games that are leveraging those more advanced features. Basically more power is required since those cards cannot leverage those advanced features. In games that don't use them on console however, I'd imagine the old comparisons to still be somewhat valid.

A more interesting comparison is to see how well newer games compare to the 7850 which shares those features. But then that also depends on those features being exposed on that card in Vulkan or Dx12.

Regards,
SB

This is kind of expected. Newer games are levering things that NV GPUs weren't particularly good at up until Pascal. Namely the growing popularity of Async Compute and other features that AMD had in GCN for a long time but got limited to no use in the PC space until Mantle and now Vulkan and Dx12 came out.

Basically there's no way for a 6 series or 7 series NV GPU to compete on even footing in newer games that are leveraging those more advanced features. Basically more power is required since those cards cannot leverage those advanced features. In games that don't use them on console however, I'd imagine the old comparisons to still be somewhat valid.

A more interesting comparison is to see how well newer games compare to the 7850 which shares those features. But then that also depends on those features being exposed on that card in Vulkan or Dx12.

Regards,
SB

Pascal/Maxwell are also starting to lag behind.

You won't need more then roughly 7850/660 level GPU to match base PS4 performance for most games. Some might perform worse some better, this has been the case for the past 6 years or so, some outliers here and there apart.

And what's the point exactly ? What was the price a the PC equivalent in 2013 ?
Why absolutly wanting to downplay the ps4 in the console section ? Honest question i'm curious.

And what's the point exactly ? What was the price a the PC equivalent in 2013 ?
Why absolutly wanting to downplay the ps4 in the console section ? Honest question i'm curious.

The price of a equivalent pc was obviously higher, i have no idea what a 7850 or 7870 was going for, but the GPU alone would be atleast half of the PS4's price.
How is the comparison between a 7850/750Ti class gpu to a base PS4 downplaying? There was nothing wrong with a 7850 level gpu back then, or even now? It was a good match atleast back then and still is, with games taking advantage of async compute favoring AMD products. The 7850/7870 were early mars 2012 mid to upper range GPU's. 7970 was a very good choice, even when late 2013 saw the arrival of the R9 290 (X) releases. AMD's gpu's aged better then Nvidia's counterparts, that where faster back then, AMD has caught up and then some.

I have no reason to downplay the PS4, i own one (launch model) and a (somewhat older) gaming pc. I won't miss out on the exclusives i like and have my pc for everything else. Have been doing this strategy since the PSX days and plan on doing the same with the PS5/pc combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back