The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really hope it's more than "the girl is sad/furious so she kills everyone". Loved the first game, will buy this sequel for sure.

Previews are on. With new gameplay footage..
Some infos:

* 2 gameplay segments about 1 hour and a half each. Snowy environment and the village.
* Ellie looks younger in the snowy demo and older in the second one.
* dogs can track and follow your scent. Will show sadness if you kill ennemies.
* 2 guns, 2 shotguns, explosives and arrows plus hammer available in the demo.
* Controls is smooth from melee to action and interaction.
* Facial expressions are impressive. So are the animations. You can see Ellie catching items while running like in the previous gameplay presentation.
* New tank type infected ennemy which explodes wirh fungus spores, the one seen in the trailer

first demo ends with Dina and Ellie talking like in the new trailer. And second demo ends with Joel showing up.

And ND just confirmed. No multi-player for TLOU2.

Last edited:
I can't, I just can't. And some people said they're not impressed?
TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_03.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_12.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_10.0.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19233917/TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_08.jpg

And some people said they're not impressed?

It certainly looks very good. It doesn't look a generation apart though, it is in the realm of what other games do on current gen consoles.
People don't get impressed perhaps but it is impressive for being on weak hardware from 2013.
Imagine games created for 2020 hardware.

It certainly looks very good. It doesn't look a generation apart though, it is in the realm of what other games do on current gen consoles.
People don't get impressed perhaps but it is impressive for being on weak hardware from 2013.
Imagine games created for 2020 hardware.
Yeah I'm not saying it's a straight up PS5 game or something lol. Of course I expect a true next gen game designed with 10 TF, 16Gig ram spec to look world apart as it should be, but even if it's within the realm of what other games can achieve on current gen, Tlous still pushes the boat further with that much more foliage, world density, the crazy animation and the overall balance of the graphics output. I mean it's so hard to spot any short comings.

The only image I find mildly impressive from those is the first one. The two other don't look like something next gen to me. At least not in the same way the original The Last Of Us did when it was released for PS3.
What's more impressive to you just curious?
One more.
48797462788_1e29470230_o.jpg

page-5

I can't, I just can't. And some people said they're not impressed?
TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_03.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_12.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_10.0.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19233917/TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_08.jpg

It looks nice but nothing mind blowing. Flat is how i describe the rendering not much I see going on. Indoors look a bit stale in lighting and it doesn't seem to have that HDR pop. It may be the artists going for a more muted tone. When i saw the molatov in one gameplay video the fire didn't look too good on the ground

It looks nice but nothing mind blowing. Flat is how i describe the rendering not much I see going on. Indoors look a bit stale in lighting and it doesn't seem to have that HDR pop. It may be the artists going for a more muted tone. When i saw the molatov in one gameplay video the fire didn't look too good on the ground
Shakes head...It's not a HDR capture.

looks among the best games for sure, foliage density is very nice.
i think they'll get the edge above others in cutscenes with their facial animations.
animation does not look as refined as in their first "gameplay" showing
like when she grabs bottles, the bottle switches position directly in her hand, in the first gameplay trailer it was a smooth transition.

peaking of RDR2. Here's a snow comparison to illustrate how much Tlou's snow improves upon it.
Cherry picking shots isn't a good way to evaluate an improvement of one game over another. There is a reason why DF does not cross compare games in this way.

You're likely to just cherry pick one that you think looks good and one you think looks bad without any understanding of the lighting tricks that could be going on.
You've compared in this case, a cut scene vs real gameplay in RDR2 and the most awkward shot of looking directly at the snow against trees and not factoring in how time of day is realtime and can change the lighting etc. You're looking for the shot that engages you the most and another the least. That's by default an improper comparison if you have to evaluate it like that; you're overlooking what you see is great with TLOU2 and being super critical of the things you don't want to look as good.

Give it some thought.
I get you are excited and love ND and TLOU2; and that's fine, so just leave it at that without trying to bias that enthusiasm against other titles.

Something I try to keep an eye on is the idea that the blurrier the game, the better looking people think it is. As long as you get the lighting right, and make everything else a blurry mess, people are more likely to feel its realistic as games are super unrealistic in their sharpness. If a game wants to get more realistic, they really need to dial back the sharpness of things not in focus. imo it's why people love watching these gifs of PS exclusives. The gifs remove all the detail and you're left with just the major lighting and shadows.

And so that idea is something you need to consider. Because some games will render everything sharp which is a huge tax on the GPU. And it will look unrealistic for it. And you might think they aren't pushing the hardware, but they are, just differently.

Last edited:
It's not that it's the lighting. Looks very muted/flat. You can look at games with great hdr and tell from screenshots the lighting will make the hdr pop. This looks very muted
It's overcast so yeah not shit the lighting would obviously look muted and flat compared to dusk or dawn lighting, their engine can certainly do more vibrant lighting with ease. And no you certainly can't tell how pop the HDR would look from SDR screenshots. HDR is not just about vibrant lighting, it's about showing the contrast, the level of detail or dynamic range in the darkest dark to the brightest highlight, you obviously have not played UC4, their HDR and lighting implementation is among the best.
UC4
30587006731_73d932805cijrb.png

Cherry picking shots isn't a good way to evaluate an improvement of one game over another. There is a reason why DF does not cross compare games in this way.

You're likely to just cherry pick one that you think looks good and one you think looks bad without any understanding of the lighting tricks that could be going on.
You've compared in this case, a cut scene vs real gameplay in RDR2 and the most awkward shot of looking directly at the snow against trees and not factoring in how time of day is realtime and can change the lighting etc. You're looking for the shot that engages you the most and another the least. That's by default an improper comparison if you have to evaluate it like that; you're overlooking what you see is great with TLOU2 and being super critical of the things you don't want to look as good.

Give it some thought.
I get you are excited and love ND and TLOU2; and that's fine, so just leave it at that without trying to bias that enthusiasm against other titles.
But I'm not cherry picking? Played RDR2 for 40 hours and the snow area pretty much looked like that in the pic. Was only trying to find a pic with trees and snow on them for a closer comparison. The gameplay section from today's footage looked the same too.

But I'm not cherry picking? Played RDR2 for 40 hours and the snow area pretty much looked like that in the pic. Was only trying to find a pic with trees and snow on them for a closer comparison. The gameplay section from today's footage looked the same too.
you chose both images, one you couldn't generate and one you could. I'ts by definition cherry picking. If you want to evaluate RDR2 lighting and shading, evaluate RDR2 relative to what is missing and not missing. The quality of what they do in the game. There is a very particular DF on that technology by @Dictator
As for TLOU2 you can't do the same thing, because the game isn't out.

Julien Chièze played the game for about 3 hours, he was very impressed by everything.

- The animations are as good as the previous trailer. He personally tried to grab things while running, this and everything else was perfectly animated and super realistic while being very snappy.
- Anything you take will be realistically stored inside your backpack or on hung on the character.
- Graphically it looks as good as RDR2
- More verticality this time notably with basements and others places accessible when crawling.
- More open than before. Different paths to complete the missions.
- Quite difficult. You can (and you have to) crawl to hide from enemies. Dogs can smell you. Best strategy being to run away when detected.
- The world feels quite open (even with the narrow wide design), organic, consistent and very detailed.
- You can enter a random house by breaking a window.
- The gameplay feels fresh compared to TLOU1. It's an improvement on all parts compared to the first game.

Last edited:
Back