The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure why you bringing XBOX version.

I played gears 5 on XBO in 30fps and 720~1080 dynamic resolution. Pretty sure tlou2 will run at 1080/30 on my PS4.
I didn't bring in anything. These aren't my screenshots. I'm don't like bringing other games into a game thread. I find it highly annoying to read about games other than TLOU2 in a TLOU2 thread. But here we are. I find it largely unsatisfying that to celebrate the graphical achievements of one title, we must put down another.

Last edited:
image_the_last_of_us_part_ii-41171-3757_0004.jpg

Lara must be jealous of the horse.

I keed. :mrgreen:

The true test for them is tomorrow when we will have impression of journalists. It seems they are happy from some teasing but how the game animate maybe some b roll video, it will be gameplay animation. cutscene animation is great as alwasys but too many cuts to know if the game reach e3 2018 level of animation.

Last edited:
It's definitely competing among the best; but I would agree that what we've seen is well within the realm of what these consoles have shown to be capable of. I had a much different impression from the 2017/2018 reveals, but with the recent releases, it's definitely falling into the same clustering among the best - but not a deviation above.

You can't do better than what the hardware is capable to do and I think ND decided to push again the gameplay animation to the top and keeps other elements looks good and among the best in current-gen. I think cutscene animation is only a bit better than other team because of flesh deformation(nose for example during the infamous kiss) or some other little details but out of this other teams are up there.

From what other teams and other animators say they are at the top in term of animation, the best compromise between input lag/responsiveness and realism.

EDIT: I just want to see how E3 2018 animation compares to new gameplay trailer confirmed by journalist tomorrow. If they reach their goal, someone will fell stupid in Tomb Raider studio.

You can't do better than what the hardware is capable to do and I think ND decided to push again the gameplay animation to the top and keeps other elements looks good and among the best in current-gen. I think cutscene animation is only a bit better than other team because of flesh deformation(nose for example during the infamous kiss) or some other little details.

From what other teams and other animators say they are at the top in term of animation, the best compromise between input lag/responsiveness and realism.
agreed. and they can focus on making the game pace and feel great to play. I don't have a real criticism here from what ND presents with TLOU2. I am impressed with what I see for sure, I was originally wow'd in 2018, but I can see others have indeed caught up. Still impressed though. The animation will set it apart if they manage for it to be very responsive.

Their AO and shadow solution are also god like, almost feels like some kind of Raytracing is going on here.

Well, since their static environments sample from an offline baked lightmap, they probably do raytrace that lighting. Just not in real-time, of course.

Last edited:
Graphically; while hard to compare; I got a lot of RDR2 engine vibes. The way the scene is lit; the character models; the animation I guess; Which arguably has been the best graphics I’ve seen on X1X for a 30fps title.

That's what i mean with when i said RDR2 setting, they both look as great though.

It looks very polished indeed. But honestly, not completely beyond what we've already seen this gen. Some stuff is above the AAA bar, some otgers are a tad bellow. Eager to see more gameplay.

I was more impressed by the previous E3 demo, it probably looks as great, just that other titles have come to the same level.

you mean it is real time I suppose :p

Totally looks real time yes ;)

Just watched the Gamersyde version. Looks amazing as usual; but nothing too mindblowing. Where ND does exceed head and shoulders above others though is their facial animations. Boy does it look good. Though I thought Joel looked like an old Nathan Drake lol.

Just watched the Gamersyde version. Looks amazing as usual; but nothing too mindblowing. Where ND does exceed head and shoulders above others though is their facial animations. Boy does it look good. Though I thought Joel looked like an old Nathan Drake lol.
I didn't recognized him at first and I am usually good a faces. And new Ellie is also a quite different person. No way people change that much after 5 years, even a teenager. Ellie now looks a bit like the actress that plays her. Well a body-builded version of that actress (on a high protein diet) plus a bit of young Ellie.

I might get a disc and digital copy of the game...
Digitak for my ps4 pro and disc in case foreard compatibility is a pain with digital version...transfering all my digital games would take too long.
I would have loved the game to be a ps5 launch title but just can't wait long evough to play it lol.
Maybe it s gonna be an. Opportunitu to finally buy a 4kTV but still can't decide between lcd or oled.
I ll wait for hdmi 2.1.

Now in also hyped for the multi-player.
I spent hours in the first game before it became a pay2win.

Their AO and shadow solution are also god like, almost feels like some kind of Raytracing is going on here.

Pretty sure AO is baked for static objects, for cutscenes they used something better for characters in U4/TLL.
It looks very polished indeed. But honestly, not completely beyond what we've already seen this gen. Some stuff is above the AAA bar, some otgers are a tad bellow. Eager to see more gameplay.

Agreed, with the exception of animation, this looks to be a in a different league when it comes to anims, be it gameplay or cutscenes.

Today's TLOU2 content schedule:

4PM UK/5PM CEST - Media impressions of gameplay demo
One hour later - "debut of new Outbreak Day 2019 content "

It's the case with all new games to be like this. Designed so you don't' notice it. But it doesn't mean it's not happening.

But you can see the difference between your shots. Act 1 with a closer FOV has significantly more going on than the Act 2 being zoomed out for Gears.

And once again, comparing a 60fps title to a 30fps one. Gears has 16ms less time to do things with. You need to look back to RDR 2 to get similar FOV changes and lighting and shadows.
Speaking of RDR2. Here's a snow comparison to illustrate how much Tlou's snow improves upon it.
7XoRFar.jpg

RDR2
Grave-Sites-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-2018-11-04-21-33-47.mp4_001057617.jpg

Far better lighting and shading in Tlou2, especially the shadowing in the trees and surrounding objects. I guess it's the nature of being a more linear game where you can afford to crank up the details to the maximum and dedicate more compute resource to each scene without having to worry about other things.

Back