Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

He's probably wanted to work with big actors for decades by now. Being bound to MGS can't have made that easy.

Now that he's free and well funded, enough to do as he pleases, he's being a little bit self indulgent. Good for him.

As for why there are always fans ready to defend his games as works of art, a big part of that is the fact that Kojima treats his work as art. So much is metaphor that anyone can be forgiven for over analysing and finding meaning where there isn't any.

Not if they paid him in doritos and mountain dew.

maxresdefault.jpg

So, after looking at this. The look of the game is fantastic...and that's about where it ends for me. And apparently many others.

Every streamer that I watch has commented that the game looks greats and that they are going to play it just because it's a game by Kojima. However, they've all basically said the gameplay looks like crap, but they are hoping that they'll feel differently once they play it. That said, they don't expect their feelings to change about the gameplay.

It looks like Kojima wanted to make a world simulator and tried to simulate as many things as possible. Doing something like that is very tricky to pull off well and simultaneously have it be fun. Hopefully the actual gameplay ends up being more fun than what was shown.

Then again, since I'm just going to be watching it (no desire to pull a God of War 2018 and play it "co-op" with a friend after what I saw), I'm more interested to see where the story goes and if he's able to pull it off.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I don't know if having famous actors in a video game is worth it. It must eat a lot of the available budget...
Depends where that budget is going. Given a good director and good chemistry between the two, a good actor will more likely nail the required performance in less takes than a lesser actor and perforamnce capture is expensive because it's not just the actor(s) involved.

Their only involvements are being scanned and voice acting right?

Or they don't even do voice acting and it was done by other person?

Anyway, I think Sony have a hand on that. Sony is pretty big in movie business so surely they have lots of network / conn.

Side characters are voiced by someone else, but main story characters are both voiced and portrayed by the real actors.

MGS1 was a "revelatory" experience back then. It had elements and a richness that was generations ahead of its time. For me it peaked with MGS2. It is not an accident that people praise Kojima so much. He did many things right and was not afraid to challenge norms.
It is hard to pull off something similar again. I wish Death Stranding will be an equally impressive experience in this age but I may be asking too much.
Finger's crossed.

Btw I just realized what I felt missing in death stranding (other than awesome gameplay) that usually are in kojima games:

ridiculous story that felt genuinely gripping, and makes me can't stop wondering what's next.

Currently death stranding story only makes me "eh? So what" and shrug shoulders.

Sam is a postman. Okay, so what?
The world is filled with gooey creatures and invisible ghosts. Okay, so what?
Sam deliver stuff to reconnect the world. Okay, so what?
And so on.

Hopefully it will get a free demo or a cheap prequel or something akin to Ground Zeroes

Don't forget that Kojima pulled the tanker chapter on us. He likes to be artsy and playful with every aspect of his games. It wouldn't surprise me if when Death Stranding releases, it turns out that it's actually played entirely via command prompt which, every so often, pauses and renders 12 hour long custom cutscenes.

It looks like Kojima wanted to make a world simulator and tried to simulate as many things as possible. Doing something like that is very tricky to pull off well and simultaneously have it be fun. Hopefully the actual gameplay ends up being more fun than what was shown.

I'm curious as to what gave you that impression. Of what I saw, the game seems filled with gameplay systems, as were all MGS's, but I didn't see much in the way of actual world simulations. What is he doing in that regard?

Game mechanics like having to use L1/R1 to balance or flip over/loose items, carry spare shoes,... seem mostly annoying to me. Game content seems to be run here and there to collect packages while balancing seems annoying at best. So far this game looks to be something that I would just become frustrated at to the point of throwing controller into the wall. I can understand how some would like this game but it definitely is not for me. And that's ok. We need diversity in games.

Hard pass unless the material so far shown is not representative of the game.

What I liked about MGS series is best presented in mgs2. MGS5 was the worst for me.

One thing I actually look forward in this game is the exploration in such big environments. The ladders and ropes could make it quite interesting. How far can we go and what kind of secrets Kojima hid in the world (if any) ?

Game mechanics like having to use L1/R1 to balance or flip over/loose items, carry spare shoes,... seem mostly annoying to me. Game content seems to be run here and there to collect packages while balancing seems annoying at best. So far this game looks to be something that I would just become frustrated at to the point of throwing controller into the wall. I can understand how some would like this game but it definitely is not for me. And that's ok. We need diversity in games.

Hard pass unless the material so far shown is not representative of the game.

What I liked about MGS series is best presented in mgs2. MGS5 was the worst for me.

I'm sorry but anyone who rates MGS2 above MGS 3 can't be taken seriously:nope::LOL:

I'm curious as to what gave you that impression. Of what I saw, the game seems filled with gameplay systems, as were all MGS's, but I didn't see much in the way of actual world simulations. What is he doing in that regard?

I'd have to watch it all again to pull out specifics, and I just don't have the time for that at the moment. But it's more of a feeling that I get with it. Perhaps it turns out that he doesn't try to simulate much in the game. There were similar comments to that which the hosts made on the Dropped Frames show as well. But again, I don't think they pointed to specific things.

Regards,
SB

MGS2 made a better impact for it's time, in special the graphics. MGS3 was 30fps with serious dips too.
Yep. MGS2 was such an incredible thing when it released. It has a great impact on me too. Such high fidelity at 60fps was really impressive even if back then we didn't really know why we were impressed.

I was similarly also impressed by MGS5 on PS4 when it released (not as much of course). Big open world game, very realistic lighting, impressive sandbox gameplay in a locked 60fps package. That combination is still unmatched today, yep, even on mid-gen consoles.

I was similarly also impressed by MGS5 on PS4 when it released (not as much of course). Big open world game, very realistic lighting, impressive sandbox gameplay in a locked 60fps package. That combination is still unmatched today, yep, even on mid-gen consoles.
It was a PS360 game. It's arguably more impressive as an end of gen title, even if it wasn't 60 FPS.

Back