Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Is the Reset button in the Apps section of the settings functionally equivalent to wsreset :?:

I'm more afraid that uninstalling and reinstalling the store via the command line will fuck up every other thing I have installed via the Store (and thus 100s more GB to download).

Live on the edge!

Finished Gears.
Act 4 was ace, bombastic way to finish
I choose team 'left'. lol. brilliant. hahaha.

My nvme took a huge shit so I haven't had a chance to finish the game. I guess if you're windows install corrupts two weekends in a row, you should expect it to pretty much go haywire on the 3rd weekend.

My nvme took a huge shit so I haven't had a chance to finish the game. I guess if you're windows install corrupts two weekends in a row, you should expect it to pretty much go haywire on the 3rd weekend.
that's brutal, really surprised by all this corruption happening.
my windows has been pretty rock solid, but i dno't do much with it

There was some update for winstore the other day, which may have helped fix things for me. Idk. I'm feeling a bit apathetic to return. Usual crew of Gears Horde friends don't really care as much for the new iteration either, so...... eh.

Picked it up again and am Skiffing through the snow. This game is really good.

I have to echo the colleathaon elements that takes you out of gameplay. The story is fun enough. Varied locations and varied tactics to gun play make it a complete package that the running around picking up stuff and upgrades wasn't needed.

The skiff concept might have been better as a separate side-story with a different group. They could have done something a little funky playing as some experimental DB squad.

On a side note, I thought Jack would do something somewhat nutty like become the head of a DR-1 chassis so that player 3 wouldn't be bored. Kick it up a notch to the giant mecha!

Or ya know. Hijack a Swarmak - "CONTROL, WE'VE HIJACKED A SWARMAK." -J.D. Like father, like son. References. Anyways.

*cue Gears 6 revelation that the prolificness of the Locust are also related to Carmine genetics. Reyna's "spineless father", ya know? :runaway: They can retcon Dr. Torres as being the turkey of the family tree while the Carmines choose the name of the other side of the family to separate themselves.

I keed.

Last edited:
Just got to Act 4. This game is outstanding love the open sections reminds me of Halo CE. I can definitely see TC pushing more for Gears 6 on Scarlett with more dynamic things happening in the hub sections. Gives so much life to the world and immersion. I aimlessly walk around admiring the scene o_O graphics are easily some of the best out there top 3 for me. Can't believe it's 60fps on top of that too

X

*Character detail blew me away love how the lights on their armor are dynamic light sources light up environment too
y4mHxDlHyRypHdRBFepDXlkiboVZYuJr8KMj1PO2dSYw4n4A4-ortySRWnn7vzDytuV25T4triE4tPKMJyyoJpJJL6tgJ34LjKuTSYCiQy7E-ClinFMFvE6LAImOY6B5kuz300b0wrVqnuipxxUCk1krbSkKntXPgQwqIFxYZsK9hk1k3bD-IBT8E0k4JyFjyE_LtnQA1FamlW-yfa_mYTIoA

y4mGWBZntPa3SCzqb4xjdYHgxM0Fq6JqVMUeG0wkodgR0ZtljZa7VpVjZNTUdFrnOsheYqSuOEEMww5WXJQnrO8fytxJ_PtNrZ6SGCMNqlJqTT65Np_TBArYEET62W8BvR7DjtMmDE-ZfS_BHJud65uyoVwmaXYG15QKrS_Tr-wtb8vIPzsFORrDTvICxEHO9S5PUTt0RTQ0vsX-ZEAGpJADg

Ingame model definitely looks poor with polygonal edges everywhere, very minimal alpha coverage to facial hair and low res textures are quite noticeable (look at the nose man, yuck). These two shots are some of the worst examples you could pick to demonstrate the graphics :). The cut down of graphics fidelity is very obvious here for being a 60fps title, there's no need to hide that fact. I'm on my second run of the campaign on the X, basically anything that's outdoor looks flat and low poly, the game does have some very nice indoor sections tho, such as the Hangar bay with that rocket. I feel like after Act 1 the game takes a big nose dive graphics wise till the last Act. Very inconsistent looking man.

Ingame model definitely looks poor with polygonal edges everywhere, very minimal alpha coverage to facial hair and low res textures are quite noticeable (look at the nose man, yuck). These two shots are some of the worst examples you could pick to demonstrate the graphics :). The cut down of graphics fidelity is very obvious here for being a 60fps title, there's no need to hide that fact. I'm on my second run of the campaign on the X, basically anything that's outdoor looks flat and low poly, the game does have some very nice indoor sections tho, such as the Hangar bay with that rocket. I feel like after Act 1 the game takes a big nose dive graphics wise till the last Act. Very inconsistent looking man.

Yea no sorry disagree I've played many games and Gears 5 impress me over most others. Extremely high res textures in game, lighting is the best i've seen it's the perfect hdr showcase currently and the particle effects are top notch

Boys, I might need to turn in my gamer card. So got to "enter the mines" section on Act 2. Been playing on experienced. That section is my Waterloo. Do I drop down and accept my casual status or keep hoping that I can rekindle the bro gamer eternal?

I remember old Gears being fairly challenging on "normal" mode. On easy it became way too easy of course. I think loads of games are missing that in-between sweet spot now these days. The Resident Evil 2 remake nailed it I think.

@Sigfried1977 Yah, I'm not sure why there's a reluctance to provide difficulty options. Some games it's 3 options, some games it's only 1. There's probably room for adjusting to maybe 5 difficulties in most games, just by adjusting the damage enemies inflict. Give people the option to tailor their experience. There's nothing worse than playing a game that's way too easy, or so hard that you really can't enjoy it.

Almost done with Gears 5. Literally at the last section. I've really enjoyed it. I did a 5hr marathon last night to get there. Great job to the team.

The "jack robot" which i thought was a bit gimmicky at first ends up adding a very nice dimension to the gameplay. You can change it's abilities on the fly. To me it felt a bit like Dragon Age: Origins where I could micro my team and it's abilities mid battle (my fav combat in a rpg btw). Towards the end, I was really using Jack to setup my battles and building most of my tactics around his capabilities.

I hope there's some story based DLC as the MP, horde, etc aren't for me. Looking forward to Gears 6 at this rate.

On the PC, games looks great maxed out and holds up frame rate quite well. I'd say it's well optimized.

The ROI was probably low (if anything) when they tried it out with Gears 2 (deleted chapter) & 3 (Raam's Shadow).

Wonder how UC: Lost Legacy sold.

I'm somewhat struggling with how they might design a compelling narrative around open-world while keeping costs under control. The Gears formula is at its best when it's a curated linear experience. The open sections just become an excuse to have the player sit through party dialogue, which can be meaningful in its own right, but is otherwise boring to play, especially in co-op where it's not even combat driven.

Horde is too slow for me to care about it these days.

Escape might have been more interesting if it incorporated elements of Overrun (Gears Judgment) with enemy players on the opposite side and leaving it to the Tally of Time for scoring.

-----

So when are they bringing in the M41A Pulse Rifle as a skin for the Lancer GL? *cough*

------

Last edited:
Back