Borderlands 3

:mrgreen:

Is it normal for a PC game to compile all the shaders every time it is launched? I think NV and probably AMD have ways to cache compiled shaders but maybe it don't work in D3D12.

Last edited:
It does seem strange since they seem to do okay on consoles. I suspect a major lack of QA since this isn't simple FPS drops or visual glitches. The game takes *minutes* to start?? One must only run the executable a single time to notice this. Either they didn't know or didn't care, not sure which is worse.

It's not a console vs PC difference, though. As an earlier tweet said ... Compare the vast difference between the following two games, Gears 5 and Borderlands 3. Regardless of platform, there's large gulf in graphics performance.

Now Gears has it's own series of bugs, but they're not in the performance area. And BL3 has plenty of bugs too, it even crashed out my Console game twice.

Yesterday's Twitch Rivals competition (in partnership with 2k Games) promoting BL3 shows just how much of a hot buggy mess the game was.

Almost all of them were running Dx11 as Dx12 I guess doesn't play well with OBS (streaming software).

Multiple crashes to desktop. Some hardlocks. One guy had to reboot his PC to get the game to load. A couple guys had to verify cache as the game was corrupted after crashing to desktop. This meant their team had to try to complete the timed trials a man down. Some teams lost a lot of time due to mobs spawning behind walls preventing it from dying which meant they couldn't proceed in the trials. At least one team got the invincible mob bug. And much more. What a horrible launch for the game.

Not all bugs are bad though, saw one today on Bahroo's stream with a named mob that duplicates itself if hit with cold damage. If you first hit it with a fire proc. you can get multiple guaranteed legendary Hellfire drops each time you spawn him.

Regards,
SB

People complaining about paying full price for a game that is infested with bugs is now called a "smearing campaign"?
I play the game and for me it's not infested with bugs, we have a thread about the game at Sweclocker, and most players are happy with the game.
Yes it's a smearing campaign.

It's a smearing campaign for a bunch of other reasons, with the released game problems just adding fuel to the flame. Whether those other reasons have any validity is highly subjective, but it's the internet, and their CEO makes it that much worse.

This is almost fun in a "predict what bug is going to happen" sort of way.

I turned on Bahroo's stream today (I like his banter even if I don't like Borderlands 3), and the first thing that happened? He put on a new shield that he'd gotten that was really good and...promptly crashed to desktop. :p

Also, I guess they released a new patch that was supposed to fix some of the bugs, close some exploits, and lower the drop rate of legendary items. Then promptly had to release a hotfix because the patch to fix bugs was bugged.

Regards,
SB

You know it's buggy when they've cracked it but refuse to release it because it's so buggy and they don't want to have to wait until a functioning version to recrack it so they're just waiting until it's playable.

I wish I were kidding, but it's even so bad no one is willing to pirate it.

OK, so this is random, but while watching Admiral Bahroo's streams, I was wondering why he wasn't playing any Borderlands 3 for the past couple weeks or so. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but considering he's sponsored by Gearbox to play Borderlands and put over 7000 hours into BL2, I was starting to get curious.

Turns out, he's struggling to force himself to stream the game despite people in his chat asking him why he isn't streaming BL3. Combined with my impressions watching people play the game. I think I'll be waiting until the game is 10 USD or less before I buy it.

That kind of makes me sad because I absolutely loved BL1 and BL2. But BL3 just doesn't get me excited for the most part.

I think one of the reasons is a common complaint that I'm seeing. BL3 suffers from TOO much loot. A common complaint is that when going for a certain build it's almost impossible to find a weapon with the modifiers that you need for the build. Many people got a gun around say level 15 or 20 and had to use it all the way to the end of the game because they never found a better gun with some of the mods on those guns. That's pretty sad.

Another common complaint that I'm seeing is that there are so many unique weapons now with such limited bank space that it is not possible to keep 1 of each unique, never mind if you wanted to have multiples of some of them depending on what modifiers they roll.

And then that is compounded by Gearbox constantly tinkering with weapon balance which means that they may end up nerfing unique weapons that you have and buffing unique weapons that you got rid of because you didn't have enough storage space to keep them and they weren't that good for your build before Gearbox buffed them.

And then on top of that because most of the unique weapons they are buffing are world drops and not boss drops, it can be nearly impossible to get them again because there's so many of them in the loot pool and Gearbox has drastically reduced the drop rate of unique weapons.

What a mess. BL3 might have been Gearbox's fastest selling title at launch, but it may end up being their worst game in the series.

Man, I am EXTREMELY thankful to Epic for making this an EGS exclusive and saving me from buying it at launch.

Regards,
SB

Reminder, Borderlands 3 comes out on Steam tomorrow and it's 50% currently. Wife and I will be playing it over the weekend.

Normally I'd jump on this, but I'm just not interested in the game anymore. Never thought I'd say that as BL 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games, but I just don't like what I've seen of BL 3. But at least people buying it now on Steam won't get screwed like the early EGS adopters did. Entire character builds being rendered ineffective wiping out 100's of hours of playtime spent finding the perfect weapons for their builds. It was bad enough that so many Borderlands streamers just stopped streaming Borderlands. And these are streamers who had a majority of their income come from Borderlands streams.

Unlike BL 2 and even BL 1, streamers didn't want to play it and watchers didn't want to watch it.

Hence, why I've mentioned being glad that it was on EGS. If it had launched on Steam, I would have pre-ordered it and been stuck with it. Thankfully, EGS saved me money as I won't be getting it now.

Regards,
SB

https://kotaku.com/sources-despite-huge-sales-borderlands-3-developers-a-1842617645

Ouch... So, supposedly record sales but significantly lower profit sharing payouts for employees than they got for Borderlands 2. Ooof, considering their employees are paid below the industry average, those royalties from games sales makes up for the difference. So when the quarterly employee shares of the profits ended up pretty small despite Pitchford going on and on about how well Borderlands 3 was selling...unhappy employees.

Pitchford also told Gearbox developers that if they weren’t happy with the royalty system, they were welcome to quit, according to those who were in the meeting.

Which is certainly true, but shows how disconnected he is with his employees. Oh and the cherry on top. Apparently Pitchford took a 12 million USD bonus for Borderlands 3. Salt on the wounds?

If I were to take a guess the DLC is possibly underperforming relative to sales of the game. Unlike BL2 where the DLC sold like gangbusters. IE - most people that played BL2 loved it. The same may not be true for BL3.

Also, 95 million USD to make the base game. 140 million USD when including the DLC. Erm? [Edited for correctness]

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back