I'm so tired of bicycle accidents, would everyone please be extra safe and avoid roads?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm still freaked that someone's life can change forever in an instant just because of someone else making a mistake, Mize's bike accident that paralyzed him immediately came to my mind, but I just found out that I lost a friend yesterday morning when a pick-up truck hit him walking his bike up a hill in the fog.

The pick-up driver stopped immediately, called 911, and tried to help. Some passing nurses stopped and administered CPR until the medics arrived, but sometimes everyone doing everything right isn't even enough.

There's no bad guy in this story, that really pisses me off! If it had been a hit and run I could be mad at the driver, but the driver is torn up as hell about it and didn't want to hit him anymore than he wanted to get hit. It was just an accident, and now Harvey Slonaker's two kids will be growing up without him.

Damn it, it's not even like Harvey! He was in the service for a few tours and was good people, but he always stayed frosty and watched his 360 just out of habit. Of all the people to be surprised by something like that he's the least likely I know, so it really can happen to anyone.

Just my rant while I'm in shock, if you ride a bike please be extra freaking careful! I know it's your right and your road too, but it doesn't matter if you're right if you're also dead or impaired in the process!

I don't have any answers, i just got sads over the whole situation. Peace out and love, and damn it hug everyone you love and tell 'em you do today because you may not get a tomorrow. :(

https://wchstv.com/news/local/a-man-hit-and-killed-in-kanawha-county

I'm still freaked that someone's life can change forever in an instant just because of someone else making a mistake, Mize's bike accident that paralyzed him immediately came to my mind, but I just found out that I lost a friend yesterday morning when a pick-up truck hit him walking his bike up a hill in the fog.

The pick-up driver stopped immediately, called 911, and tried to help. Some passing nurses stopped and administered CPR until the medics arrived, but sometimes everyone doing everything right isn't even enough.

There's no bad guy in this story, that really pisses me off! If it had been a hit and run I could be mad at the driver, but the driver is torn up as hell about it and didn't want to hit him anymore than he wanted to get hit. It was just an accident, and now Harvey Slonaker's two kids will be growing up without him.

Damn it, it's not even like Harvey! He was in the service for a few tours and was good people, but he always stayed frosty and watched his 360 just out of habit. Of all the people to be surprised by something like that he's the least likely I know, so it really can happen to anyone.

Just my rant while I'm in shock, if you ride a bike please be extra freaking careful! I know it's your right and your road too, but it doesn't matter if you're right if you're also dead or impaired in the process!

I don't have any answers, i just got sads over the whole situation. Peace out and love, and damn it hug everyone you love and tell 'em you do today because you may not get a tomorrow. :(

https://wchstv.com/news/local/a-man-hit-and-killed-in-kanawha-county

It's things like this why cars scare me a million times more than guns. And while it doesn't apply to this guy, why people driving cars scare me more than people shooting guns.

Not that long ago here a woman texting on her phone ran over a bunch of kids crossing the street on a rural road while the school bus had its Stop sign out. A friend on the east coast told me about a guy who was driving to work that ran over a mother and her two daughters that were picking up trash on the side of the road.

Where's all the F@$#ing media outrage over things like this?

Just today I was behind a car that was lucky enough not to get into an accident and simultaneously run over some people crossing a crosswalk as the car turned across 2 lanes of traffic to make a left hand turn. Ugh.

And I'm not advocating for more car control. But I think there should be harsher punishments for people that don't obey traffic laws. People kill people. The tools that they use are irrelevant.

Regards,
SB

The problem is that we have established through precedent that car drivers are basically immune unless they are proven intoxicated or something similar like texting. Irresponsible drivers have no consequence and it won't change any time soon

Back