Borderlands 3

I had no idea this was coming out today! I also didn't know it was only on the Epic store!! Fuck!!!

Heh, for once I'm thankful it was exclusive to the EGS. Normally, I would have pre-ordered the game like I did with BL1 and BL2. But now that I've watched streams of the game, I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity to pre-order it. I would have been disappointed. So, Epic saved me from feeling like I wasted money. :D

Regards,
SB

I'm fine with waiting 6 months, I rarely ever buy games at release anyway. By that time there will have been a bunch of fixes and more content.

I looked at some performance guides, seems like this will run fine on my GTX970 + 3770K at mediumish settings. That's fine with me the graphics in these games aren't very good anyway.

After watching a lot of streams of this (most of the streamers I watch are playing this at the moment), I'd recommend holding off for a few months until they patch the bugs.

The game is a hot buggy mess at the moment. Only one streamer didn't have a game breaking bug (in many cases, multiple game breaking bugs) that required restarting the game.

A few of them got so sick of the bugs combined with the shitty story that they aren't even going to bother finishing the game since better games are coming out. Even Cohh, who went into this expecting a bad story said how much he was disappointed by the story (OTOH he really liked the gameplay) after finishing the game. BTW - these are all people that have finished BL2 multiple times. Most say they'll eventually finish the game, just not right now. Right now they are sick of the bugs and the shitty story.

One of them (sponsored by Gearbox with a permanent marketing deal) is now finding ways to "break the game." Basically he's found some builds that make Mayhem 3 (basically the hardest difficulty) easier than normal mode (which is already really easy). He spent 7000+ hours in BL2 and expects to do the same with BL3.

So, basically everything from soft-locks, bugged audio, clipping through the world, bugged physics, and even people losing their saves. Just today I was watching as Admiral Bahroo went through a section of game where Tyrene's portrait was bugged and stayed on his screen. This prevented ALL audio dialogue from any other characters while he was doing missions. I gotta say, it's weird when you watching an in game cutscene without the voice dialog. It's really weird.

Thankfully, most of them aren't going to streaming this anymore either because they finished it (Cohh) or because they got tired of the game (most of the others). So I won't have it in the background most of the time.

Hell, it got to the point I started watching streams of the COD beta just to see something other than BL3. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
So basically Randy Pitchford took the money from Epic and now is fucking them over by having what's essentially an early access game on their platform until it actually launches on Steam.

Typical Randy Pitchford. You do not. trust. that. guy.

He even had the artists remake Ellie in Gabe's image, just so he could be in the game.

So basically Randy Pitchford took the money from Epic and now is fucking them over by having what's essentially an early access game on their platform until it actually launches on Steam.

Typical Randy Pitchford. You do not. trust. that. guy.
Considering his history over the years, it's no surprise. Most people don't give a shit though, and thus EGS succeeds.

Why would Epic give a shit what state Borderlands 3 is in? Epic might get some bad PR? That's not exactly something they're concerned about.

Why would Epic give a shit what state Borderlands 3 is in?

Epic gave Gearbox money to get a 6 month exclusivity over Steam.

You think they wouldn't give a shit about about the state a game they invested on, to promote their new online distribution and store?

You think they wouldn't give a shit about about the state a game they invested on, to promote their new online distribution and store?
No, I don't really think they do. They bought exclusivity because they were guaranteed to get a ton of new users on their store from purchasing Borderlands 3. They still make profit from the hundreds of thousands of sales, but more importantly, get thousands of new users on the EGS. Nothing Epic has been doing is about trying to make a good name for their store, merely to get consumers invested in it for the long term.

And if the game is an incomplete bug-infestested mess a lot less people will be purchasing it, and more importantly the Epic Game Store is guaranteed to get a ton less of new users than they originally projected.

Just saw a new bug today on Bahroo's stream. If you do enough damage to kill a mob as it is spawned in by the game, it'll be at 0 health but un-killable via weapons or powers.

That was a problem as he was doing a 4 man mayhem 3 savage dome (round couldn't progress until the mob died).

The only way to kill it? Somehow push the mob out of bounds of the level so that the game kills it off.

This happened twice while doing that. Yeesh.

Also, the audio mixing in this game is so bad that once you get above a certain number of mobs constantly screaming from elemental damage, then audio just starts to clip out. GG Gearbox.

As if 10's of enemies constantly screaming 100% of the time during these wave missions wasn't annoying enough.

Regards,
SB

I play the game, great fun, recommended.

Five buggs so far.
  1. DX12 games take several minutes to start.
  2. Video is corrupt with widescreen, disable FX Sharpening to make i work.
  3. Sound was corrupted once, solution was to enable full screen.
  4. Had a crash in DX12 due to vram shortage.
  5. The graphic preset Low to Ultra, is out of place, Hardware Unboxed have a good guide about it,

For those of you that, like me, prefer reading.

There is a smearing campaign against Gearbox on the Internet.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/6/18298215/epic-games-store-review-bombs-steam-borderlands-2

It seems like DX12 doesn't work correctly in a lot of games. I don't recall past DX releases being like this. I know there were performance issues with DX10 and 11 but not after 4 years lol.

Also thanks to massagemyass for the performance tips.

It seems like a lot of developers don't know how to design and develop. Developers were clamoring for vastly more control over what happens. DX12 gave them that control. Now they have no one to blame but themselves for the fuckups.

It seems like a lot of developers don't know how to design and develop. Developers were clamoring for vastly more control over what happens. DX12 gave them that control. Now they have no one to blame but themselves for the fuckups.
It does seem strange since they seem to do okay on consoles. I suspect a major lack of QA since this isn't simple FPS drops or visual glitches. The game takes *minutes* to start?? One must only run the executable a single time to notice this. Either they didn't know or didn't care, not sure which is worse.

Back