AMD adds RIS support to Radeon RX 500 and RX 400 cards

I can only hope it arrives on Vega in short order. I suppose they hit the architecture with the biggest user base first out of their previous generations. Am I correct in understanding that while RIS is a very efficient sharpening implementation, it's when it is paired with upscaling that you see the clearest benefit of it? And that this combination is only available (in its more or less performance-hit free implementation) on the RDNA architecture?

AMD says there are no plans to add RIS to Vega but that can change because "they're listening to feedback".

I for one think it's rather ridiculous that they're not bringing this feature for their 8 month-old flagship Radeon VII, nor the Vega 56/64 flagships before that.
Not to mention all the APUs.

It's even more stupid if we consider that RIS runs faster on Vega than on Polaris because it makes use of RPM.

Now their months-old $700 flagship can't use a feature made to use with 4K monitors / TVs, which is what the $700 GPU customers are probably using.
And their APUs can't run a feature that would be excellent for rendering at 720p with a 1080p ouput.

I really can't see the logic in this move, other than trying to prevent the super cheap 2nd-hand Vega 10 cards from cannibalizing on Navi 10 sales. That or gaining internet fandom points by releasing it at the customers' request.

Back