Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I'll need to play more, but I don't quite understand their choice of locking a character to a specific class when they could just use the class icons from Gears 4 and put those over top of the player heads in-game. That way, people can play as the character they want to use, while still making it easy to see which random player is playing what class without needing to hit the back button.
Eh ;) That's boring ;)

Think of it more of a Hero game setup than a class game setup. I think with a few games under your belt, you'll know what each hero will do.

Eh ;) That's boring ;)

Think of it more of a Hero game setup than a class game setup. I think with a few games under your belt, you'll know what each hero will do.
Eh, I'd rather just play as various characters and not worry about what they can do. See my edit.

^Canadians.

I'll need to play more, but I don't quite understand their choice of locking a character to a specific class when they could just use the class icons from Gears 4 and put those over top of the player heads in-game. That way, people can play as the character they want to use, while still making it easy to see which random player is playing what class without needing to hit the back button.

It seems more like a solution for ease of identifying ultimate abilities, which I'm not sure are super important enough although maybe it was just a way to prevent 5 people from exploiting a particular ability that would make it overpowered.

Imagine for a moment, everyone cycling Marcus' Ultimate in multiplayer. That a long time for team wide auto headshots.

Also, a bit of a gripe. It's now 4pm PST on the 9th and the game still isn't unlocked on PC for me. ARGH.

Regards,
SB

The way The Coalition has used Unreal Engine is incredibly impressive. The game looks gorgeous and with only a few minor tweaks it's running at a locked 60 FPS at 2560x1600 in a window on my 1070.

Basically everything at Ultra except for AO on medium and volumetric fog on high. On top of that disabled effects that I don't like: DoF, Motion Blur, and Lens Flare. I noticed there's a motion blur intensity setting, so I might mess around with it later just to see. Maybe it won't be as annoying as it is in all other games at the lowest intensity setting. Also, that's with FOV at 90, which should negatively impact frame rate.

IMO, the lighting in here looks arguably better than the RT lighting in Metro: Exodus. But then the lighting in Metro: Exodus with RT was so horribly inconsistent that this isn't saying much.

Also, man, the lighting and translucency on the ice barriers that you can hide behind...WOW.

[edit] cool, in the first area you go into, you can see a rainbow effect in the waterfall.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yeah I don't expect many people on PC with anything to close a decent setup having issues running this at 60fps outside of 4k.

Metro even with RTX On is a bit all over the place. To be fair, I didn't play it much as I found it quite boring.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider I'd say is the most graphically impressive game I've played in some time. Especially in low contrast scenes.

OK, so I know a Carmine dies in every Gears game, but...

Lizzie had PLENTY of time to go out the driver side door before the hammer of dawn hit her vehicle. Hell JD, helped all the passengers out of the back of the vehicle before he went to see if Lizzie got out. I know it's for cinematic impact and all, but it bothered me when I watched that. It's like why don't you go out the OTHER door? But a Carmine has to die so a Carmine died...

AAAUUUGGGHHH. :) Still, the great and familiar Gears experience so far. Well, except for me going a lot slower to try to make sure I don't miss any upgrades for Jack. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While on the one hand I like the upgrade system for Jack, on the other hand, I don't like having to choose between possibly missing upgrades and going at a faster pace or slowing things down to try to track them down.

Also, I just noticed this. But they changed the name of the franchise. It's no longer Gears of War. It's just Gears now. I guess the change in name reflects a bit of a change in the direction that the gameplay is going.

A small gradual change. The upgrade system is only for Jack. So they haven't gone full hog on character upgrades, weapon upgrades, crafting, blah blah blah... Part of me wants more character progression and weapon upgrades, but then a large part of me just wants the satisfying gunplay without all the other fluff that developers feel they need to put into their games.

I don't know how to put it, but it's a refreshingly "pure" gaming experience to just be focused on the stuff happening on screen without having to worry about all that other stuff. But then there's the Jack upgrades and powers that in some ways stains the experience but in other ways enhances it.

Kind of torn on the whole thing.

Regards,
SB

Lizzie is the first Carmine I actually liked.

So am I misreading or is Gears 5 available as part of Xbox Game Pass for PC?

It's part of Game Pass for PC. All Microsoft Studios games will be day and date on Game Pass going forward. If they have a PC version then it'll be on Game Pass PC as well. This is how I'm playing it.

Regards,
SB

After watching vid, and seeing that RX580 is 1080p60 ultra settings, does make me think that it would've been nice to have that as an option also.
Not 30fps, just lower rez of 1080p, for people with 1080 & 1440p displays, and people who didn't mind loss in sharpness scaling up to 4k.

hm... so the music was better than 4, but I'm left feeling like there's no memorable theme to replay over and over in my head. At least for me, music in games is akin to the combination of taste/smell association with memories. I remember the events less than the music, which I can replay outside of the game. Nothing stands out to me.

Gears 1 has its mechanical orchestra and blaring horns. Gears 2 went operatic and thunderous in its excitement while 3 is a continuation on there leaning more towards melancholy.

OK, so I know a Carmine dies in every Gears game, but...

Lizzie had PLENTY of time to go out the driver side door before the hammer of dawn hit her vehicle. Hell JD, helped all the passengers out of the back of the vehicle before he went to see if Lizzie got out. I know it's for cinematic impact and all, but it bothered me when I watched that. It's like why don't you go out the OTHER door? But a Carmine has to die so a Carmine died...

As The Prophecy Foretold...

I'd say it's just the nature of the situation. The beam just slammed into the ground on that side of the vehicle when she decided to do a 180 on the door, so I can sympathize the decision there. I'd even make the argument that the previously mentioned awful FOV with the helmet could be a factor in situational awareness. (JD brings it up in the locker room when you're walking around, plus we know the jabs here and there since Gears 2 regarding Anthony.) Anyways, I'm overthinking it.

Lizzie is the first Carmine I actually liked.

Boo-urns.

Clayton is awesome for how over-the-top he is.

He's just a Terry Crews wannabe. Kill off Clayton already...

Give me Zombie Lizzie already!

I'm actually surprised he's competent in Gears 5. :p

So I have to wonder if they found the 4th Carmine brother, and if Gary is Lizzie's brother or Clay's son.

I never played versus in previous gears. Started with G5. Wow. Wtf. I am a lamb and there are Raptors on the playing field. I’ve never been so useless LOL.

If I really think about map positioning and control and flanking, I can do alright. Pretty good actually. But if I run face to face with someone. 10% surival rate at best.

I never played versus in previous gears. Started with G5. Wow. Wtf. I am a lamb and there are Raptors on the playing field. I’ve never been so useless LOL.

If I really think about map positioning and control and flanking, I can do alright. Pretty good actually. But if I run face to face with someone. 10% surival rate at best.

To do well there you really need to learn how to bump onto and off of cover really quickly while shotgunning your opponent. It's basically the best way to "dodge" as the animation for bumping onto and off of cover is much faster than the actual dodge animation.

Regards,
SB

So I'm up to Act II now, thought Act I was pretty good but not sure I dig the direction this game is taking from here with all the mimicking of other games like UC or Tomb Raider. The pacing is killed off entirely, the graphics took a huge nose dive with the engine somehow can't load high poly environment asset any more, lighting seems rather flat too in the outdoor area. Gears is supposed to be a high adrenaline rush shooter gallery, not an Uncharted clone or RPG ridden slog. The constant upgrade towards Jack is hardly gameplay changing. I'd rather they focus more on set pieces, close quarter combat than spacing out a whole country on a damn skiff. Well hope things get better later is all I can say.

When they provide the same as the earlier games everyone says "it's just more of the old shit", and when they try something new everyone says "it's not like the old shit". They simply can't win.

The game looks amazing on the One X.

Half way through act 1 ... game so far is just so good. Playing on Experienced on PC, and it's hard enough. I've died a few times. Can be very frantic to stay alive, which I'm all for. They really stepped it up from Gears 4 in terms of the level designs and the pacing of the combat. My only real complaint is the upgrades for the robot. The upgrade points are hidden, so you have to spend time searching for them, which I really don't want to do. It slows down the action needlessly. I would have rather just have them awarded at fixed points, instead of hidden like collectibles. I skip the collectibles for the same pacing reasons. Skipping upgrades seems like a bad idea. But it feels so nice to play a Gears game that looks top notch and runs so so smooth. Just really well designed battles and environments. The world has the density of detail of The Division, but with actual good gameplay instead of shit. Division has open world going for it, but the whole time I was playing the Division 2 I was just thinking about how Gears plays better ... and oh boy Gears 5 is just the cream of the crop of cover shooters.

Back