Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any oppinions on the Samsung Qled Q70. Although it is not hdmi 2.1 it supports lots of its features such as VRR and ALLM. It will lack 4k 60 fps at 10 bits on a 4:4:4 signal and algo 4k 120 fps due to hdmi 2.0 limitiations, but since it´s on a summer promotion with the offer of a 4K 42" second TV, I'm thinking of buying it.
Do you guys think this is a good buy and next generation ready?

Any oppinions on the Samsung Qled Q70. Although it is not hdmi 2.1 it supports lots of its features such as VRR and ALLM. It will lack 4k 60 fps at 10 bits on a 4:4:4 signal and algo 4k 120 fps due to hdmi 2.0 limitiations, but since it´s on a summer promotion with the offer of a 4K 42" second TV, I'm thinking of buying it.
Do you guys think this is a good buy and next generation ready?

IMO, I think it's worth it to wait for their HDMI 2.1 sets as it's such a large improvement over HDMI 2.0 sets in terms of features, resolutions, support for HFR, etc. I'm sure next year you'll start to see those same types of deals on the HDMI 2.1 sets that are coming out this year. That will also coincide with the release of the next gen consoles.

Regards,
SB

I'd wait for HDMI2.1 input TVs at this point.

I'm still on a 1080p TV for my PS4. It's 5 years old, but not bad enough for me to justify an upgrade yet. At this point, I want something that can support 120Hz natively at 4K. I doubt the consoles will really hit that, but my PC should.

Was at the HDTV test shootout again this year. I'll keep it short.

- Samsung Q90R - If you watch most of your TV in the daytime and need to worry about reflections, get this. Otherwise, it got smoked by all 3 OLED's
- Sony AG9 - Terrible HDR tone mapping decisions mean that Sony sets will blow out any detail in HDR for brightness. That really held this otherwise good all arounder back
- Panasonic GZ2000. Closest you can get to the $30k mastering monitor that was there for a baseline. Banding in high apl HDR scenes because the panel is overdriven for peak brightness by Panasonic. Logo dimming distracting compared to others. Game mode IQ is a bit meh.
- LG. Easily the best for gaming. The input lag and PQ in game mode blew away everything else. Also generally the number 1 or 2 in most tests. Needs manual tuning of the EOTF curve to make it's HDR perform well

Due to the massive price difference between the LG and Panasonic, most will get the LG. However, if you want the absolute best and will have it pro calibrated the Panasonic will come closest to the mastering monitors used to grade films. Couldn't recommend the Sony due to it's HDR tone mapping decisions.

My question is not gaming related, sorry, but what about OLED and letterbox content? I am considering to buy a LG C9, but I watch letterbox content (movies, TV series) about 40-50% of the time I watch TV. Is that something that will give me visibly uneven tearing, or will the pixel refreshing function take care of that? Will the pixel refreshing function spend more time on the pixels that has been used less?

I know that the manual for older LG OLED TVs states that you should only watch letterbox content for only a hour at a time. Meaning that you have to take a break with full screen content in the middle of a movie.

My question is not gaming related, sorry, but what about OLED and letterbox content? I am considering to buy a LG C9, but I watch letterbox content (movies, TV series) about 40-50% of the time I watch TV. Is that something that will give me visibly uneven tearing, or will the pixel refreshing function take care of that? Will the pixel refreshing function spend more time on the pixels that has been used less?

I know that the manual for older LG OLED TVs states that you should only watch letterbox content for only a hour at a time. Meaning that you have to take a break with full screen content in the middle of a movie.

You can ignore the manual. It's likely a legal take to avoid any issues.

In reality, just watch your TV like any normal person would and you'll be fine. The pixel refreshers and compensation cycles will do their own thing. No need to manually touch those.

Technicolor and Isf modes are most accurate out of the box without calibration so stick to those if you want accuracy in picture quality.

? I am considering to buy a LG C9, but I watch letterbox content (movies, TV series) about 40-50% of the time I watch TV.

What series do you see in letterbox? AFAIK most series nowadays are recorded in 16:9.

What series do you see in letterbox? AFAIK most series nowadays are recorded in 16:9.
I don't remember exactly. The last TV show I watched in letterbox was Handmaid's Tale season 4. But it seems to me that more and more TV series use letterbox, maybe for a more cinematic feel.

You can ignore the manual. It's likely a legal take to avoid any issues.

In reality, just watch your TV like any normal person would and you'll be fine. The pixel refreshers and compensation cycles will do their own thing. No need to manually touch those.

Technicolor and Isf modes are most accurate out of the box without calibration so stick to those if you want accuracy in picture quality.

Ok I will take my chance with the LG C9. There are pretty strong consumer laws in Norway and from what I heard there are usually no problem to get a burn-in panel replaced free of charge here.

Last edited:
Interesting so AMD's support for VESA standard VRR is FreeSync. NVidia's support for VESA standard VRR falls under the Gsync umbrella.
That branding happened few months back, Gsync Compatible is Nvidia's brand for VRR.

It's a shame that LG OLED VRR support is avaiable only on RTX and GTX16xx cards. But as of now, that support is half-baked. No console or GPU supports HDMI 2.1, so nobody has access to 4K120.

It's a shame that LG OLED VRR support is avaiable only on RTX and GTX16xx cards. But as of now, that support is half-baked. No console or GPU supports HDMI 2.1, so nobody has access to 4K120.

It's still the best TV you can buy right now at common mortal prices without question. Sure there's nothing that outputs HDMI 2.1 at the moment, but in 2020 every new console and graphics card will sport it.
Sure, this might not be the best time ever to buy a new TV because it's only the first with HDMI 2.1, but at the moment it's the best.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sonys-16k-crystal-led-display-could-be-yours-for-dollar5-million

Sony micro led TV are available for public consumer, very rich public consumer but not only enterprise

In a press release, Sony offered a few example configurations, including a 4K size, comprising 72 individual units. This particular configuration is 16 feet wide and 9 feet tall, with a diagonal span of 220 inches.

According to What Hi-Fi?, this particular setup would set you back $877,000 to install in your home.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

https://www.techradar.com/news/sonys-16k-crystal-led-display-could-be-yours-for-dollar5-million

Sony micro led TV are available for public consumer, very rich public consumer but not only enterprise

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Damn, I was thinking it would be in the 350,000 to 500,000 USD range for the 4k unit, but that's a whole lot more. :D Also it's 16 feet wide by 9 feet tall. I think that might be taller than the walls in my living room by a little bit. :p

Each 16x18 pixel module (3 micro-LEDs per pixel) costs 10,000 USD.

So, uh, a theoretical 8x9 pixel display would cost more than most TVs. :D

Regards,
SB

I have been oogling the LG C9 for a while, but the price tag of 2500€ just been more than what I wanted to put into a tv.
Then the B9 "launched" in Norway the other day and I caved on that one, for 1300€, still a bit steep, but I needed a tv.
Anyway I am happy with it after just setting it up and watching a couple of tv episodes on it.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-lg-b9/802/915

And I most likely wont notice much difference, after jumping from an eight year old samsung.

Btw still envious at Sebbi that got the C9 for about the same price I shelled out on the B9 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back