NVIDIA opens GSync

capturekok6x.png

NVIDIA will finally release a driver to enable G-Sync compatibility on HDMI. The driver will enable 5 OLED monitors from LG to have G-Sync.
Simultaneously, we’ll release a new GeForce Game Ready Driver, enabling GeForce RTX and GeForce GTX 16-Series gamers to connect their PCs via HDMI to validated G-SYNC Compatible LG TVs.

If you don’t own a LG TV, but do own a display or TV that only supports Variable Refresh Rates via HDMI, you can try enabling HDMI VRR when the aforementioned driver is released. As these displays and TVs haven’t yet been through our comprehensive validation process, we can’t guarantee VRR will work, or work without issue.

Be assured though, we will be testing current and future Variable Refresh Rate HDMI displays, and will be working with manufacturers like LG to bring flawless out-of-the-box G-SYNC Compatible support to their big-screen TVs, so more GeForce gamers can enjoy smooth gameplay from the comfort of their couch.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

Am i mistaken or is there no technical reason this cant also be enabled for Maxwell and Pascal?
Why would you think it's not enabled on Maxwell and Pascal?

edit: whoops, it indeed is limited to Turing

Last edited:
Isn't nvidia basically killing off all those recently or yet-to-be released BFGD monitors by getting the exact same features available to the LG C9 line that costs less than half for the same screen area?

Regardless, this just proves how the C9 is definitely the TV to get in 2019 and probably throughout most of 2020.

Isn't nvidia basically killing off all those recently or yet-to-be released BFGD monitors by getting the exact same features available to the LG C9 line that costs less than half for the same screen area?

Regardless, this just proves how the C9 is definitely the TV to get in 2019 and probably throughout most of 2020.

The difference is that those expensive monitors use the Gsync hardware module. The TV is just NV branding VESA standard VRR as "Gsync Compatible." So, I guess it comes down to whether the Gsync Hardware module justifies a higher price.

Regards,
SB

I couldnt see many of them being sold at the given prices and specs anyway. They were not particularly great.

I don't think there is any technical reason. I'd expect it enabled at a later date (similar to RIS on Vega and Polaris).

I detest these types of practices.

When held to the standards of the top features in a monitor, it's called barely there. Till this moment there is barely any FreeSync 2 monitor with HDR1000 + LFC, let alone the other features (Full Array Local Dimming + 144Hz + variable overdrive).

Yet, ELMB-sync is only available on ASUS TUF line (G-Sync compatible Adaptive Sync) ... so at the moment one state of the art feature is completely unavailable on top dollar monitors. A curious choice by ASUS to introduce such an innovative feature in their budget line.

The difference is that those expensive monitors use the Gsync hardware module. The TV is just NV branding VESA standard VRR as "Gsync Compatible." So, I guess it comes down to whether the Gsync Hardware module justifies a higher price.
BFGD are just an extra name for large "G-Sync Ultimate" standard monitors, the standard requires 1000nits HDR minimum and also min to max refresh rate coverage (1-144Hz @4K), somethings that these OLED monitors lack at the moment, they are also capped at 60Hz @4K.

The C9 are are all native 4K120, which nvidia cards should support through HDMI 2.0b if they use YUV 4:2:0 encoding.

The maximum brightness that rtings measured is 855 nits. I doubt the difference to the overpriced bfgd monitors is discernable in 99% of real use cases, even more considering the infinite contrast the C9's oled panels have.

Last edited by a moderator:
New The C9 are are all native 4K120, which nvidia cards should support through HDMI 2.0b if they use YUV 4:2:0 encoding.

LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices, but unlike the Samsung Q90R, it appears that this only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, as we were unable to get it to work. We will retest this once we have an HDMI 2.1 source.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled#comparison_2486

Also consider the fact that these OLED monitors will only do VRR at a specific spectrum (35-60Hz for example), and not cover the full spectrum (1-60Hz).

even more considering the infinite contrast the C9's oled panels have.
I admit it's not that much of a difference in that aspect, the HDR experience on the OLED should be better due to their contrast. But regular HDR1000 panels sometimes have their benefits in overly bright scenes.

Back